PDA

View Full Version : 20+2 on the bubble - flop top 2 from BB

deathpotato
02-01-2005, 01:18 AM
SB is a decent player, haven't seen him get too out of line over the course of the tournament. He has not limped in from the SB very frequently. He plays quite aggressively postflop, in general, and bets his good hands strongly.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t663)
SB (t3127)
Hero (t1690)
UTG (t2520)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

On the flop I was almost sure I had the best hand, I couldn't see him limping with a 5 or 6 so I put him on a pair of tens. Should I be raising here? Heads up I wanted to build this pot, and wasn't very worried about being drawn out on. I think he would have raised any pocket pair preflop, so I wasn't very worried about a set.

Turn: (t1200) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1090 and is all in</font>...

On the turn I raise all-in hoping to fold a mid-highish lone diamond who might be scared of a made flush, as I really don't want to see a possible diamond river here. Am I thinking along the right lines? At this point I still am quite confident that I'm in the lead.

My main question centres around the flop play. Should I be raising here against aggressive opponents who I can generally count to bet into me again on the turn with a worse hand? I didn't think so... but looking back on this I'm unsure. Of course any comments on any parts of the hand are welcome, thanks!

Elektrik
02-01-2005, 05:18 AM
I play it the same.

You gave an aggressive player an opportunity to bluff off most of his chips while you hold what is most likely the best hand.

stripsqueez
02-01-2005, 06:57 AM
i make a chunky raise on the flop - in fact i probably push - i dont want to mess with a big stack at this point in the game

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Mammux
02-01-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I raise all-in hoping to fold a mid-highish lone diamond who might be scared of a made flush, as I really don't want to see a possible diamond river here. Am I thinking along the right lines? At this point I still am quite confident that I'm in the lead.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you will se him fold at that point with anything except a complete bluff. He is looking at putting 590 chips into a pot of 2790 chips (1 to 4,5). Those are clearly odds to call with a medium high diamond.

It's a value bet.

Still, something stinks about this hand. Why is he not worried that you got the flush on the turn? Also, that bet of 500 signals strength to me; it's half your remaining stack. Which means that unless you fold, you're bound to get all your chips in and he will almost have to call due to pot odds. Have you seen villain semi-bluffing his draws with half pot bets before?

Anyway, I would have played it like you did on a 20+2. Might have min-reraised on the flop; representing "I hit the flop, did you hit it or were you just bluffing?"

-Magnus