PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 NL Hand Calling allin with AKs

Hotrod0823
02-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Playing live at FW 1-2 NL.

I get AKs UTG Stack (~600) have the table well covered.

There is very little raising and when hands are raised it is usually only done by 3-4 of the 10 players at the table. The remainder of the table was very passive callers.

Raises have been varied - anywhere from 10-25 PF in various forms but standard has been 10-12. I have raised a few hands 10 a few 15 and a couple 25 just to change things up a bit. Raised hand PF get anywhere from 2/3 up to 5-6 callers, limp pots were family afairs.

Now to the hand in question. I have AKs and have been showing down variety of hands but consistently winning. I decide to raise to 25, in retrospect too high.

Anyway, MP a solid player that has shown aggression against me a few times reraises to 75.

I am not sure if he is capable of a bluff that large or if he would be raising with Ax or PP lower than 1010 but suspect I am either way behind or a coin flip. (This is the point I realized my PF raise was too big and put me in a tough spot)

It comes back to me and I think about setting him all in - he has ~110 behind. I decide to call.

Now there is 150 in the pot and flop comes all rags less than 8. I was in between here. AA, KK are possible although unlikely. I am behind other holding like TT, JJ, QQ. I think 99 and AQ are possible but again unlikely.

He is committed almost half his stack PF so no matter what he is going to play for all his chips. I think and decide to check to see what he decides.

Sure enough he pushes all in for 110.

Now the big question. Do you call?

I would be calling 110 into a 260 pot getting 2:1 on my call. I put him on a range of hands from 1010-AA, and AKx, AKs and AQ or AQs again AQx not very likely.

I called hit the K on the river to beat his JJ.

Turned out ok but I think I played it wrong on all streets.

PF: Raised too much and should've pushed allin over the top
Flop: Should've bet out putting him allin.

DoubleDown
02-01-2005, 03:35 AM
if you're planning on calling his all-in on the flop after missing, you should instead bet him all-in on the flop ... you could possibly get PP's to lay down there

how i would have played the hand preflop :
I would not have called villain's re-raise which amounted to approx 40% of his stack. you had him labelled as a solid player ... and a solid player is not going to re-raise 40% of his stack with Ax ... and probably not a low PP. I would have narrowed his range of hands down to AA, KK, QQ, AK. Due to the fact that I am behind to a majority of these hands ... i don't think it would be correct for me to continue on in this situation vs "a solid player".

Flop Play (had I decided to call villain's reraise, as you did)
If the flop includes an Ace or a King: I C/R villain all-in (his stack at this point is such that he's probably dumping the rest in on the flop if checked to him) Betting out on an Ace or King may allow him to get away from QQ (or JJ in this case)

If the flop doesn't have an Ace or King: I go all-in first to possibly get villain to lay down a PP.

glad to see it worked out for you. interested to hear other responses