PDA

View Full Version : Poker Mountain

Chief911
01-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Is anyone else amazed at the complete lack of players on this site? I just downloaded and looked around. Seemed like there were no more than 75 people playing total.

I figured with guys like Negreanu and Cloutier involved, they would either have props or enough promos to bring people there.

What motivation would anyone have to put money in there for an average interface, and no games when they could go to party, ps, empire, or millions of other sites that have games going?

/uninstall.

villafan
02-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I think all these new poker sites that are not connected to a existing network or have a huge sportsbetting customer base are doomed to fail. With network economics (players want to play where there are a lot of games available, thus making the big sites with lots of available games bigger) and very low entry barriers it will be tough to survive for small newcomers.

And I would believe that the players that have downloaded the Poker Mountain software and seen the lack of action will do just like you and never come back, so it seems quite stupid to do the gradual development.

Why does Poker Mountain want to have commercials in poker magazines? The poker magazines players are probably having accounts at 20 different poker rooms and are 4 tabling at Party. New sites must use their ad money a bit more creative and get new players, not the players that play at Party and are clearing bonuses at Crypto.

The rapid growth and high rakes in the poker industry will give newcomers some room to survive, but when the growth rates start to fall, the big players in the business will start to kill each other. That means more bonuses and probably lower rake. This will kill the new small poker rooms.

Uglyowl
02-01-2005, 07:24 AM
ON THEIR PROMOTION PAGE>>>>>

Are you kidding.. this is not enough to get anyone excited.

Win a Seat at the World Poker Classic at the Bellagio

Turn $25 into millions! The winner of the $25 "Road to the Bellagio" No Juice-No Catch tournament at Poker Mountain will receive:

* $25,000 entry into the World Poker Tour Championship event at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, April 18-24
* Airfare and lodging at the Bellagio
* A one-on-one coaching session with TJ Cloutier and Daniel Negreanu

MicroBob
02-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Agreed.
But the more important question is Why is Negreneau squinting so much in the pic? He looks like he is in pain.

Chief911
02-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Not to mention their $25 Bellagio tourney is in...APRIL.

Maybe I'll reinstall it then.

Nick

partygirluk
02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
bump. Any reviews on Poker mountain?

+ can you earn their bonus by playing SnGs?

CostaRicaBill
02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
I still can't understand why a poker site would call itself "Poker Mountain" and advertise with a picture of a big cold rock in the background.

Associating a "rock" with a poker site is not the best way to give off the image of a fun, carefree place to play. Everybody hates rocks!

CountDuckula
02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump. Any reviews on Poker mountain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I enjoy the software; it's very uncluttered, there are no avatars like Party (though I would like the option of uploading my own avatar), it's relatively easy to navigate without leaving the table (you can check your cashier status and even make a deposit/withdrawal to your account right at the table). The downside is, there just aren't many people there yet. I was on last night, found only 5-6 Hold'Em tables going. There were some 6-max tables, but the 10-max tables only had 4-6 people on them at a time. I played about an hour's worth of $1/2, and had a very nice run, up ~30 BB. The other players were fairly predictable; a couple of them were big on trying to steal blinds, but would often fold to counter-aggression, especially if the board looked remotely scary. Someone else was a prototypical calling station.

I'm hoping that their publicity efforts will pay off; a few more fish to stock the pond, and I'd probably play there very often. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
+ can you earn their bonus by playing SnGs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Each $ of tournament fee (not the buy-in portion, obviously), including SNGs, counts as 8 raked hands (1 raked hand, raked for $.50 or better = 1 Summit Point). But I didn't see a lot going on there, either.

-Mike

edit: slight clarification

CountDuckula
02-03-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still can't understand why a poker site would call itself "Poker Mountain" and advertise with a picture of a big cold rock in the background.

Associating a "rock" with a poker site is not the best way to give off the image of a fun, carefree place to play. Everybody hates rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh... I see your point. /images/graemlins/grin.gif But the players I've encountered there have been far from rocks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

Pokeraddict
02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
I played there, I cashed out soon after. Maybe I will give it a try larer on. The game quality was average at best imo, obviously few players for now. I noticed they use Party's rake schedule, without the Party fishiness. 10% at 1/2 $5 and 7% at $12 is VERY high for a small room trying to lure players in. The software crashed twice in around 15 minutes but then was stable for the last 30 minutes or so I played.

When I made my deposit my bonus did not appear, I noticed this after a while. I emailed them asking for it and for points already earned to be applied, the response. Maybe I missed a code even though I searched their rep's posts here for it as well as bw. I could not find any mention of it on their site. See how helpful their reply is to "Where is my bonus".

Dear John,

Thank you for playing with us at Pokermountain.com. We very much appreciate you contacting us.

100% Deposit Bonus (up to $500). Free cash! Poker Mountain will match your initial cash deposit by adding the same amount into your account. The only condition is that the matching bonus will be released to you (to put into play or to withdraw) as you play at Poker Mountain. Specifically, every one hundred hands that you play (with rake of $0.50 or more) will release $10 into your account. Each dollar that you pay in tournament fees will count as eight (8) raked hands played.

Be sure to check out our website at http://www.pokermountain.com for details about our current promotions including free-rolls, and free giveaways!!! Again, we thank you for playing at the friendliest poker site on the net, and we wish you the best of luck at the tables.

Andrea
- Poker Mountain Support
PS-Remember...... No pants required!

Way to go, I guess when they copied Party's rake schedule they copied their support training manual as well.

greatbrit
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Hello pokeraddict,

I have forwarded your post to the support manager, and I apologize for that boilerplate response, replies like that where they don't take the time to respond properly is not acceptable, and a personal pet peeve of mine, I will make sure they follow up to try to minimize this problem in the future. Please let me know if it has still not been resolved.

Paul
http://www.pokermountain.com

Pokeraddict
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I responded with a "what kind of response was that?" email and they corrected it on the next try. Maybe in the future I will give a second chance. I cannot stand when software crashed repeatedly. I can deal with a support slip up but hate being in the middle of a hand and have it crash.

CountDuckula
02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I had a very good experience with support when I signed on the other night; I also dealt with Andrea. I emailed support asking about the bonus, which also didn't get credited to my bonus account immediately, and the bonus appeared in about 15 min. or so. I went back into my email to send along a "Never mind!" and found that she'd answered me with the info that it had been a technical error, which had been fixed, as I already knew.

I then asked if she knew when their highest activity was, and again she replied within 15 min. after I asked it (the answer was 8pm-2am Eastern).

Finally, I discovered that I couldn't chat; it had the chat input window sort of yellowed out, and I couldn't type anything (though I was seeing people chatting at me). Again, I had a very quick response, and the answer was to log out and log back in again; this worked.

As for the rake, yeah it seems to be the same as Party's. But if they grow and start getting the fish, I won't care. I really appreciate that they credit me with a raked hand even if I just fold PF; I shied away from Bodog because they would only give me credit if I put money in the pot.

-Mike

Pokeraddict
02-03-2005, 05:47 PM
I had this same issue with not being able to chat, the box would be yellowed out while I saw others chat. It happened on one table but not another.

bweiser8311962
02-03-2005, 09:11 PM
It's going to be hard not to try this site ... A 100 percent match on a deposit up to $500 is very tough to beat, though it is going to take FOREVER and a day to clear it. When I get my bankroll to $500 I will deposit, then immediately withdraw at least $400 to move around to chase other bonuses.
As long as that bonus doesn't expire, it should be OK.

An aside: I'm going through the tedious Paradise Poker Granny bonus right now and almost every hand I play meets the minimum $.25 rake...I wonder how many would meet Poker Mountain's $.50 minimum rake at a $1/$2 table. Any thoughts?

greatbrit
02-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the chat input issue is only on the very first time when you register an account. The solution is to close the client and start it up again.

Paul
http://www.pokermountain.com

Pokeraddict
02-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I wonder how many would meet Poker Mountain's $.50 minimum rake at a $1/$2 table. Any thoughts?

Any raked hand will meet the $.50 raked requirement as they rake $.50 at $5. From my small sample it was about 2/3 the $1/$2 hands were raked.

CountDuckula
02-04-2005, 12:27 AM
I played about an hour of $1/2 last night, and another couple of hours tonight. I've garnered a little over 100 points, releasing $10 of the bonus. I've also doubled my $100 deposit, not counting any of the bonus. The fish factor seems rather high at the moment, and I do have a full 10-player table (with an open seat now and again) tonight.

-Mike

Jurollo
02-04-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

* A one-on-one coaching session with TJ Cloutier and Daniel Negreanu

[/ QUOTE ]

Question... how can it be one-on-one with 3 people there? Just curious /images/graemlins/grin.gif
~Justin