PDA

View Full Version : Is this a valid 3-bet?

TheDelChop
01-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Bet 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Anything wrong with this play here? I figured my tens would be best heads up against the raiser, especially since I have seen him open raise alot. The turn check raise really makes me queezy here, and I had called planning on folding if I didn't improve on the river.

tipperdog
01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
The pre-flop play is fine, IMO. The turn/river play is not. You're check-raised and you decide to call. That's fine. You think MP1 is putting some kind of play on you (at least, you think there's a 20% chance your hand is good).

Then, the river brings a fairly innocent looking card, and you fold? Bad. If you thought you needed to improve, you shouldn't have called the turn check-raise. That call is a classic 2-bet decision.

TStoneMBD
02-01-2005, 12:12 AM
calling the turn with the plan of folding the river unimproved is terrible.

TheDelChop
02-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Ok, TurningStone, what is your course of action? I really didn't know what else to do here.

TStoneMBD
02-01-2005, 12:50 AM
all i am saying is that if your plan is to fold the river if you dont catch your T, then you should have folded the turn instead. you dont have correct odds to chase your set. your plan is flawed. whether you should call down or fold, i did not state my opinion on. i am simply trying to clarify that your line was fundamentally incorrect.

TheDelChop
02-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Ok, cool, thanks for that. I was calling with the intention of not only catching my ten, but waiting to see what the villian would do, also I wasn't going to call if another overcard to my tens fell. If i detected any weakness in my opponent I also would have called.

Basically, more than one of my criteria for folding was met so I did.

golferbrent
02-01-2005, 03:06 AM
I think calling the turn is a horrible play. I do believe that 3-betting preflop is ok. If you plan on calling the turn you must also call the river otherwise why bother putting the 20 extra dollars in the pot. I believe as soon as you call the turn you have to call the river. Another option, would be to 3-bet the turn... and checking the end. Your hand and the current state of the board have showdown value... you should not give up so easy...

Being an online game... make the situation more tenous... if playing live I would always call down there... if I didn't want to 3-bet the turn. I just believe as turningstone does that calling and folding is a horrible strategy...

I did read your reasons... but seriously... if you are calling on the turn with the what you think is the best hand then why would you ever fold when a J comes... The only card I would consider folding to on the river would be an A... otherwise you have committed yourself to calling no matter the river... Otherwise you should just fold.