PDA

View Full Version : Two river value bet hands

JrJordan
01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm still trying to refine my value betting standards on the river. I think I catch myself betting sometimes when that value is awful thin and getting checkraised. I rarely fold to a river checkraise, so I end up in many win 1 BB or lose 2 BB situations. The resut of this is, I'm trying to slow down more and be content with either a check/call, or possibly a checkthrough. Here's two hands I would normally bet again on the river, but decided against it this time around. Comments?

Hand 1: Villain is fairly LAG (VPIP of 55, PFR of 14 and postflop aggro around 3-4). At the time I was worried that I was up against a higher 9 and was trying to save a bet. Am I good enough here to bet again?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.70 BB

Hand 2: Villain is extremely loose passive (VPIP of 75, PFR 3, postflop aggro is slightly higher around 1). A million drawing hands just hit this river, so I was awful worried about losing 2 BB to my made 1BB. He's pretty passive, so I don't think there's a chance he'll bluff a worse hand when I check. Am I saving money on this check?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...

J.R.
01-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I'd bet Hand 1: You have top pair and your opponent is fairly aggressive postflop, so there is a good chance you were and still are ahead, and his looseness indicated he can call down with many inferior hands.

I think this is an easy bet and fold to a raise spot. A worse hand won't bluff, you don't fear a bluff raise and there are loads of worse hands this type of opponent can call you down with. A guy this loose can check-call lots of stuff other than a flush draw on this flop. BTW, bet the turn.

captZEEbo1
01-31-2005, 09:16 PM
hand 1: bet
hand 2: bet

One of the key considerations you should know are hands like this:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (5.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.20 BB

Results:
BB has 9d Ks (one pair, tens).
MP doesn't show.
Hero has 9c Js (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.20 BB.

Sometimes you think there wouldn't be any logical hand they'd call with when you value bet.....but yet, you get a call. Against loose players that haven't showed much resistance, it's often correct to bet with ANY piece of the board.

P.S. I know this was a -EV raise, but I was on tilt/bored/2-tabling =P