PDA

View Full Version : AK - simple question ($100+9 Party MTT)

MarkD
01-31-2005, 07:33 PM
So I suck at tourney's and here’s the most recent example. This is a Party Poker 100+9 MTT. It’s early and blinds are 25-50. My hands have been completely junky and my situations have not been good for blind steals so I have played exactly one hand and stole the blinds.

My stack is currently about 820ish and I’m in the BB with AKo. UTG limps, UTG+2 limps, a mid position player limps and it’s on me.

UTG has around 150 left after he limps in.
UTG+3 has a monster stack of about 9000 (seriously).
MP has around 1250.

I don’t have reads on these guys since I have been multi-tabling the 15-30 at the same time (yah, I know, reads are important, yada yada). So, what is the correct play here?

For what it’s worth, here is my play and my reasoning. I moved in expecting to get called by UTG, with his small stack, and possibly UTG+2, with his huge stack. I expected that my hand was probably the best and that I had decent equity in this pot. I also thought that it was unlikely for the MP player to risk 75% of his chips in this situations since if he had a small-medium pocket pair he had to know he was in a coin flip situation, and if he had a non-pair hand then it has to be an easy fold for him.

So, I expected to get called by the small stack and possibly the big stack, OR, I would win the pot uncontested and I don’t really mind this result. Increasing my stack by 225 chips with AK here didn’t seem like too bad of proposition, so the way I saw it, I was in a good spot if they fold and a good spot if they called. I thought about raising it to around 200 leaving myself 600 chips, but if any player calls then I have 600 chips and the pot has 600 chips and I don’t see myself folding anyways (maybe I just suck).

So, critique my reasoning here and tell me what I did wrong and also tell me what the right play is. I’m sick of sucking at tournaments.

MLG
01-31-2005, 07:36 PM
I like moving in there. You might also get looked up by a hand you dominate. If not, you certainly won't be in trouble. If you don't get called then the chips you pick up are more than enough to justify the play.

Lloyd
01-31-2005, 07:47 PM
I would have done the same thing. You probably have the best hand or are at most a coinflip against someone with a small pair.

A normal raise (and I would make it 275 because of the limpers) pretty much pot commits you against the big stack since he might very well put you all-in on the flop (if you don't push) even if he doesn't have a made hand. So by making a normal raise you are essentially committing all of your chips out of position so why not push now giving the big stack some incentive to fold. So I definitely prefer a push versus a normal raise.

There's some merit to a call but you're going to miss the flop enough times that I don't think you'd be getting enough value for your pre-flop holding. I'd want to see 5 cards with AK and I don't want three other players in there with me.

So I think you played this correctly.

MarkD
01-31-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's some merit to a call but you're going to miss the flop enough times that I don't think you'd be getting enough value for your pre-flop holding. I'd want to see 5 cards with AK and I don't want three other players in there with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention this fact, but it was also on my mind when the hand played out.

DonButtons
01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Nothing wrong with this play.

Ian J
01-31-2005, 08:36 PM
I like your play here alot for reasons stated already. Nice hand.

MarkD
01-31-2005, 09:38 PM
UTG called nearly instantly with A5o, the big stack folded and the MP player thought for a while and called with 99. I failed to improve and was knocked out of the tournament feeling like I got shafted, or possibly screwed up.

I posted this hand partially for validation, but also to confirm some of my own thinking that lead me to my decision. I learned a long time ago that poker is all about making the right decisions - who gets pushed the pot is an entirely different matter.

Thanks everyone.

kuro
02-01-2005, 12:19 AM
You made the right play. There's really not much you can do. Sometimes you pick up a hand in a situation where proper play ends up with you going broke. You just have to keep reminding yourself that winning a MTT is hard and if you don't take some risks you're doomed to failure over the long haul.