PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Pay for Dinner?

Six_of_One
01-31-2005, 07:27 PM
How much money would you be willing to pay for the best meal of your life? Include tax and tip, and just consider the cost for one person.

I recently went to Urasawa, a Japanese/Sushi place in the L.A. area. It was without a doubt the best meal I've ever had...the final bill was $367, including everything (just for me).

I thought it was worth it...in fact, I'm looking forward to going back. Am I nuts?

istewart
01-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, the best meal of my life so far has been at Peter Luger. With my dad and my brother and soup to nuts it was around $400.

Paluka
01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
For it to actually be the best meal in your life, how could you not pay $300? I'd probalby pay that much for the best anything.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-31-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For it to actually be the best meal in your life, how could you not pay $300? I'd probalby pay that much for the best anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best toilet paper?

IggyWH
01-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Personally, I think you're nuts, but I'm not a good opinion because I don't have that much to blow on one meal.

I've never been big on fancy meals. For $300 though I could eat like a king for a week. I'm a cheap steak and potatoes kind of guy so a dozen NY Strips from the loacl market and a couple pounds of red potatoes and I'd be butter.

private joker
01-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Urasawa, eh? One of the best meals I've ever had in my life was at Katana, the new sushi joint up on the Sunset Strip. They have this sake sampler that was like drinking paradise. Their spicy yellowtail roll was a party in my mouth with everyone invited. Everything there was just awesome. And the atmosphere is cool -- up on a hill, an outdoor patio, etc. It's expensive, but sounds like a better deal than Urasawa. I think the 4 of us got out of there with a $300 tab combined.

benfranklin
01-31-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The best toilet paper?

[/ QUOTE ]

$400 if I've had chili.

Shajen
01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
I've paid $300 for just the drinks.

A great meal is priceless.

But then again, one of the best meals I've ever had was at home, grilled some steaks, buncha friends over, good drinks, etc. Awesome. Can't put a price on that bro.

Six_of_One
01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
You certainly won't find a good "deal" at Urasawa...but I've eaten a lot of sushi in my life, and I've never had anything that compares. Plus, I got to eat blowfish for the first time, and I'm still alive.

They served Kobe beef too, the real stuff from Japan and not the version that is raised here in America...just a single bite, briefly grilled, but unlike any beef I've ever had (and steak is my co-favorite food, along with sushi).

IggyWH
01-31-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But then again, one of the best meals I've ever had was at home, grilled some steaks, buncha friends over, good drinks, etc. Awesome. Can't put a price on that bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... doesn't get much better than that. This past summer, every weekend we had a cookout. One of the roomies is a Pitt basketball player so we'd invite the squad over and they'd bring the honeys. Bunch of great food, bunch of great drinks and a bunch of great tail... it always made for a great time.

Tron
01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I went to Katana a couple of months ago, and I thought it was absolutely excellent. It was definitely the best sushi I'd ever had, but then again I haven't eaten much expensive sushi in my life. I also really liked the atmosphere; I ate at the bar and the chefs were really cool and fun.

I liked how for every old Japanese chef they had at least two cute blonde hostesses (and there were about a dozen chefs).

private joker
01-31-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You certainly won't find a good "deal" at Urasawa...but I've eaten a lot of sushi in my life, and I've never had anything that compares. Plus, I got to eat blowfish for the first time, and I'm still alive.

They served Kobe beef too, the real stuff from Japan and not the version that is raised here in America...just a single bite, briefly grilled, but unlike any beef I've ever had (and steak is my co-favorite food, along with sushi).

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "deal." Maybe "less painful" than Urasawa. Some of us don't have 400 clams to blow on supper, but if you want a nice night out and treat a lady to a classy sushi restaurant for a total tab of under $200, Katana is the place. It's also great for drinks. My only problem with it was the service, but I was there on an extraordinarily busy night.

sfer
01-31-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, the best meal of my life so far has been at Peter Luger. With my dad and my brother and soup to nuts it was around $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Luger. Half of that had to be wine. In the universe of NY steakhouses Luger is not expensive.

sfer
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
The recently opened Masa is apparently $500+ per head and beat out Alain Ducasse as the pricest meal in NYC.

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The recently opened Masa is apparently $500+ per head and beat out Alain Ducasse as the pricest meal in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buddy of mine just paid about $600 per head for tasting menu + wine pairing + truffle course at Thomas Keller's new place in NYC.

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Have you been to Nobu? If so, how would you say they stack up relative to each other?

Also, did you have a chef's selection or did you mix and match? Were any of the individual items super-expensive, and if so how much (I imagine the blowfish alone might have been a ton and if you got the Kobe beef, that can be super-pricey)? Did you have a lot of expensive alcohol?

Just curious as to whether your tab is what it costs to have a really great meal there of if you really splurged on a ton of expensive optional items and could have gotten away a lot cheaper if you wanted.

edtost
01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
luger is awesome, and it's not even close.

PokerCat69
01-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I can't see spending over $100 on myself. Not that I'm cheap I just don't know what to order that would make the price so expensive. A steak dinner maybe $40 tops, and that leaves alot of money left over for beer.

As for Japanese Food, I eat at a place that has a $34 all you can eat meal, then 2-3 large sakkes(sp?) still brings the bill under $100.

I'm not a wine drinker, maybe this is the reason.

Six_of_One
01-31-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you been to Nobu? If so, how would you say they stack up relative to each other?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been to Nobu. I'd like to go, I just haven't gotten to it yet. My friends are too cheap, and my girlfriend doesn't like sushi /images/graemlins/confused.gif But, Urasawa is a place I can go by myself...there is only the sushi bar, and it seats 10. They don't turn the seats at all, so they can only serve a maximum of 10 people per night.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did you have a chef's selection or did you mix and match?

[/ QUOTE ]

At Urasawa, chef's choice is the only option. The cost is $250 per person...that includes the Kobe beef, the blowfish (when in season), several cooked courses at the beginning of the meal (such as lobster and foie gras shabu-shabu...amazing stuff), sashimi served atop an ice sculpture, and a bunch of sushi, all of it fantastic.

The $250, plus two tall Sapporo's at $10 each, plus tax and tip resulted in the final bill. It's not really possible to get away much cheaper, unless you give a smaller tip I guess.

It was a ridiculous amount of food, and I was there for almost 4 hours (I took my time...you could get in and out in 2 hours probably if you really wanted to). He kept asking me how I was feeling, if I was full yet, and as long as I said no, he kept giving me more stuff.

sfer
01-31-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A buddy of mine just paid about $600 per head for tasting menu + wine pairing + truffle course at Thomas Keller's new place in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Per Se. I'll be there in 12 days. I hope I like it as much as French Laundry.

DeezNuts
01-31-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had dinner at Matsuhisa(I think same owner as Nobu?) last night. The food was pretty good, but I'm not sure the value is quite there. The bill for two people was a little more than $200(3 glasses of wine and dessert). The miso cod and yellowtail jalapeno are great, but I tried a couple other dishes that were just ok.

The sashimi is always good and the atmosphere is casual. I like Nobu in Malibu's atmosphere a little better(more laid-back), but the menus are identical. Nobu/Matsuhisa play the "fusion" and presentation card in order to justify high prices, but you can find a lot better quality/value deals around town. If you like quality value sushi, go to Sushi Gen in J-Town in downtown LA. Great sashimi and you can eat for two under $80, with drinks.

DN

mmbt0ne
01-31-2005, 08:53 PM
The most I've spent on a meal since coming to college is a pitiful $63. Right now, I can't afford to spend more than $100 on a single meal, but would gladly spend any amount if I had a job.

M2d
01-31-2005, 09:00 PM
When I was growing up and visiting my grandparents in Hilo, i'd wake up at 5 and go to the fish auction. I could usually get a whole ahi (yellowfin tuna) about 50 lbs for approximately 40 cents a pound. take it home, butcher it. Head and guts go to crab bait, bones to fry. fillets are pure fresh caught sashimi.
slice up a pound or so of it and eat with some fresh grated ginger (screw wasabi) mixed with soy sauce. bowl of hot rice on the side.

hands down, the best meal for under five bucks.

InchoateHand
01-31-2005, 09:02 PM
All of the above. Food is truly the greatest, most rewarding, most consistent pleasure available. It's good stuff, I try and partake everyday.

scotnt73
01-31-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see spending over $100 on myself. Not that I'm cheap I just don't know what to order that would make the price so expensive. A steak dinner maybe $40 tops, and that leaves alot of money left over for beer.

As for Japanese Food, I eat at a place that has a $34 all you can eat meal, then 2-3 large sakkes(sp?) still brings the bill under $100.

I'm not a wine drinker, maybe this is the reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

im taking my wife to kirbys in dallas for valentines day and
im expecting the bill to be about 200$ for the 2 of us counting drinks and tip. the steaks are 30+ dollars apiece and if you want anything else with it(like a baked potat0-5 bucks) its extra. ill have 2 makers marks and she will have 2-3 glasses of wine + dessert. its always the best meal of my life there. obviously its just once or twice a year for us.

if there was a place that was guaranteed to be the absolute best steak ever id pay 4-5 hundred for 2 people on special occasions. but it would have to make my eyes roll with every damn bite. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nothumb
01-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Of the best meals I've ever had, most were between $100 and $200 for two people. Not that I wouldn't spend more, but we don't have a more expensive place around here unless you order crazy expensive wine. I would absolutely spend more if I had it on a special occasion, or all the time if I was rich. Great food with great drinks is one of the best feelings in the world.

NT

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The miso cod and yellowtail jalapeno are great

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of times at Nobu, our meal consists largely of multiple orders of those two dishes.

istewart
01-31-2005, 09:29 PM
sfer:

Have you checked out Wolf's? I went there very shortly after it opened, the matradie (sp) from Peter Luger set it up nearly just like it. Very good stuff.

Smith and Wollensky's I liked as well. I still haven't been to the Union Square Cafe, I feel like I'm missing something big.

Luv2DriveTT
01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best steak - yes. The best meal? no way in hell.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

istewart
01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
If any of you are in Philly, what's your take on the Stephen Starr restaurants? I think he's massively overhyped, but the food at most is still very good. Cool atmosphere too. Pod, Continental, both pretty good.

Luv2DriveTT
01-31-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Per Se. I'll be there in 12 days. I hope I like it as much as French Laundry.

[/ QUOTE ]

French Laundry was the nutz. There are few better day trips in the US than Nappa Valley vineyards finished with a French Laundry dinner.

I haven't been to Per Se yet, but I hear its not that busy. I stopped by for drinks at 10PM and it was dead.

I want a full trip report!

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

BottlesOf
01-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Per Se W00T!

If you get the uber awesome isane 20/30 course tasting it tops Ducasse.

BottlesOf
01-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Nobu is tops, even thought it's kind of a chain now.

I'm a fan of the New Style Sashimi. i don't know what that marinade is, but it's so simple and so [censored] good.

The Miso Cod is of course a standard. I like the Rock Shrimp Tempura with whatever spicy creamy sauce comes with it too. Bento box for desert, or watermellon soup in the summer.

BottlesOf
01-31-2005, 09:44 PM
Take the tour of the ktichen if they offer it. It's absolutely unbelievable. It's way bigger than the dining space, which isn't exactly tiny. They have a special room with temperature and hunidity controlled just for chocolate.

BottlesOf
01-31-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The price fluctuates with the season and the availability of certain delicacies. It now stands at $350 a person before tax, tip and sip of sake or bottled water.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently it's white truffle and blowfish season.
Bruni in the house (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F06E3DC1639F93AA15751C1A9629C8B 63)

balkii
01-31-2005, 10:50 PM
i think it'd be pretty sad if hte best meal you ever ate was from a restaurant.

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

david050173
01-31-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of food quality there you can't expect a home cooked meal to compete. You can argue ambiance (ie christmas with the family) is better but the meal by itself isn't even close. On the other hand the odds of getting decent cooked vegitables at a 50 dollar and under restaurant is almost zero /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-31-2005, 11:23 PM
The best meal ive ever had was 2.50 + tip

balkii
01-31-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never eaten a meal at a restaurant thats been better than what I or my dad can cook. not meaning i can cook every kind of food better than a restaurant. obviously i go to a sushi place for sushi, but usually the food i enjoy most is food i cook.

i'm usually pretty dissapointed with any restaurant that costs more than about 15 bucks for a plate.

TimM
01-31-2005, 11:38 PM
The best meals I have had were on a cruise ship, but they were included in the price. But I don't go to many expensive places, probably the next best was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and that was only about $60 per person.

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've never eaten a meal at a restaurant thats been better than what I or my dad can cook.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't surprise me if you were able to cook better meals than the vast majority of restaurants out there. However, it would surprise me if you were able to cook meals that compared to those cooked by people recognized as the greatest chefs in the world who have been working full-time at perfecting their craft for years. In addition to their talent and experience, these guys use the best possible ingredients (which you may not even have access to), have staffs of people to help prepare the food, and have equipment and surroundings optimized for their work. Given those points, your comment that it was sad if someone's best meal ever was in a restaurant seemed very strange. If someone has the means to spend a large amount of money on a single meal, I'd definitely expect their best meal ever to be at a restaurant.

Zeno
02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't surprise me if you were able to cook better meals than the vast majority of restaurants out there. However, it would surprise me if you were able to cook meals that compared to those cooked by people recognized as the greatest chefs in the world who have been working full-time at perfecting their craft for years. In addition to their talent and experience, these guys use the best possible ingredients (which you may not even have access to), have staffs of people to help prepare the food, and have equipment and surroundings optimized for their work. Given those points, your comment that it was sad if someone's best meal ever was in a restaurant seemed very strange. If someone has the means to spend a large amount of money on a single meal, I'd definitely expect their best meal ever to be at a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

¡Olé!

Though I haven't been to world-renowned restaurants, I've been to a few very good ones and the meals were exceptional. The most elegant dinner I've had was at a restaurant. The best meal I've ever had was at home, but that was something special (I even made of post about it in the OT forum a long time ago, the main course was cutthroat trout).

What makes a dinner or restaurant meal a truly exceptional experience is not just the food. It is having an excellent dinner with friends and companions that mean a lot to you and are enjoyable to be with, couple this with stimulating conversion and a pleasant ease to the meal and it makes for a delightful evening.

Years ago, I had a great meal in San Antonio, Texas. The main ingredient was pleasant friends and working companions. The food was ‘southwestern style’ and very good, but the beer was exceptional, brewed by some local monks. That was a memorial dinner that I will always remember.

-Zeno

ethan
02-01-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like quality value sushi, go to Sushi Gen in J-Town in downtown LA. Great sashimi and you can eat for two under $80, with drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. Sushi-Gen is great. I tend to get out of there for closer to $80 for myself, but I eat a lot.

sfer
02-01-2005, 12:44 AM
I've walked by Wolf's a couple of times. I'm actually not that big of a steak person myself, but I'll have to do the Pepsi challenge at some point.

I finally ate at Union Square Cafe recently, after living 8 blocks from it for like 2 years. And I ate with a friend at the bar, which is really how I prefer to eat at most restaurants. It was as good as everyone says. Gramercy is quite good as well.

istewart
02-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Awesome. Gramercy is quite good too, yep.

cockandbull
02-01-2005, 01:04 AM
This is maybe taking this off track a little, but in London they have a place (can't think of its name) where they have a price list for wine and you pay what you think the food is worth.

After one evening there with a group of friends we got chatting to the owner over a few drinks and he told us that most people (if i remember correctly,around 90%) pay way over the odds for the food.

I've later heard that a supermarket chain, said that when they ask the customers how much a item was if it hasn't gone through the scanner people offer to pay more than the item is worth.

Uston
02-01-2005, 03:45 AM
The best meal ive ever had was 2.50 + tip

You've got me beat. The best meal I've ever had was at a roadside jerk chicken stand on West End Road in Negril, Jamaica. About $4.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-01-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never eaten a meal at a restaurant thats been better than what I or my dad can cook. not meaning i can cook every kind of food better than a restaurant. obviously i go to a sushi place for sushi, but usually the food i enjoy most is food i cook.

i'm usually pretty dissapointed with any restaurant that costs more than about 15 bucks for a plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

your dad is a chef.

Shoe
02-01-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.... some of the best meals I have had in restaurants, have costed less than $15. I have also found that the more expensive places don't taste as good, but maybe I am just raising my expectations too high when I go to a place like that. Nothing compares to my family's home-made meals, those are by far the best meals I have had in my life. Grilling out with friends is a close 2nd.