PDA

View Full Version : question for fossilman

jojobinks
01-31-2005, 07:12 PM
greg:

since you responded earlier to the thread about the battle of the sexes, i have a question about a hand you played.

you raise with A2s, flack raises all in for what looked like a reasonably sized raise (with 66, but that's beside the point), and you called very quickly.

was this a response based on flack's style? or the accelerated pace of the tournament? or did you actually think you were best? it seemed like a pretty weak play.

i respect your play, and so am interested to hear your thoughts. straighten me out.

Greg (FossilMan)
01-31-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't recall the hand, and I haven't seen the episode yet (I'm just back from London and Copenhagen for a week). I suspect I was either getting very good pot odds, or the play of the game at that point led me to believe that Layne would reraise with any two cards, so I decided before I made the first raise I wasn't folding to any reraise.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

detroitplayer
01-31-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so I decided before I made the first raise I wasn't folding to any reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to often do that as well. (As far as make a decision and stick to it regardless of what future action was.)

The times I've done it, I've found it to work against me rather than for me. I now analyze every situation as it comes and don't chain myself to preconceptions of how I think other players are going to play the hand before they've even played it. (IE, The last 9 out 10 times I've seen this player bluff at the river in this position on a similar board with a similar betting pattern... and even though my hand isn't that strong, I am going call anyway.)

Sometimes they're hard plays to make, but I feel if I made more mistakes by forcing myself to make a play based on my initial gut feeling (before the player has even acted yet.)

Now, my initial gut feeling after reading the player after he's acted is obviously a different story.

Greg (FossilMan)
02-01-2005, 08:57 AM
As a general proposition, you're correct. However, I dare you to try to put a read on Layne when he's not on tilt. And even then it's not very easy.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Sluss
02-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Lol, Greg. I felt bad for you when I saw that seat assignment for you. I know you won't admit it, but you were in the worst spot in NLHE tournaments directly to the right of Layne Flack. That just cannot be fun.