PDA

View Full Version : re-buy tourny stratigy

olsonnet
01-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I just played in my first re-buy tourny and felt lost about the re-buy option.The tourny was $20 for 3000 chips with re-buys for the first hour. At that time any one could re-buy $20 for 3000 more chips,anyone below 3000 chips could add on $20 for 3000 plus rebuy.How would y'all play this with big stacks 5000+ and small -3000 and between.

Pepsquad
02-01-2005, 11:18 AM
For me, it's a bad idea all the way around to adjust my style of play based on the option to rebuy. You will hear people say with a big stack push people around (you can always rebuy) and with a small stack just push with any decent hand to get the double up (you can always rebuy). Just play your normal game and if you get so low during the rebuy period that your folding equity is being compromised then by all means go ahead. FWIW, unless I'm a VERY big stack (top 5 in the MTT at the end of the rebuy) I ALWAYS buy more chips. Making a purchase to get you up to average chip stack instead of hovering around 10BB is HUGE after the first break. But don't spend more time on this than needed.

Pep.

slickterp
02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
i don't even bother rebuying. also, if you're posting in the beginners forum, i wouldn't be playing 20 buy in MTT's anyway.

smoore
02-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I rebuy immediately... instant chip leader.

If I'm coming to the end of the rebuy period and I have just over the rebuy amount I dump chips to the softest player at the table and rebuy.

I always add on unless I have a comfortable lead.

I play LAG during the rebuy period and try to build a big chip stack. After the rebuy period I tighten up like the hardest piece of granite you've ever seen in a card room *unless* I'm a small stack. Once the blinds catch up with the smaller stacks some I start playing a little looser again, pressing small edges.

I don't feel comfortable going into a rebuy situation unless I'm willing to spend 5 buy-ins on the thing ($100 in your example). My best case scenario would be 3 buy ins... initial, instant rebuy, add on. Add ons are a much better deal if you get more than the original stack in chips.

All of the above opinion is based on an unlimited rebuy tournament.