PDA

View Full Version : ($33) misplayed hand bothering me.

pokerraja
01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
this is off memory. 3rd or 4th hand early in PP sng. all players ~T800. 4 limpers to me (blinds 10/15) on the button with KK. I raise to 125. blinds fold and 2 of the limpers smooth call. Flop is (A,5,5) 2 clubs on board. UTG player bets T55. one fold, I decide to smooth call here. His small bet confused me. I put him on a flush draw or a weak Ace. I wasnt sure if i should raise to about T200 or just fold. Anyways , i decided to smooth call and proceed from the turn. Turn was a (9) non club. He again leads with T55. Again, I Just call. At this point from his betting I was certain he was on a flush draw. THe river card is another (A). Final board is (A,5,5,9,A). He then bets all-in, ~T600. This call would also put me all in. I just couldnt see him shutting me out with his all-in if he indeed rivered a fullhouse. My read also indicates that he missed his flush. I didnt put him on having a 5. I'm not sure why, but i didnt. Anyways, after much tought, i decided to fold. He didnt show his hand, but I did end up winning the SNG. But this hand has me wondering. what do u guys think? and how could i of better played this hand? thanks.

schwza
01-31-2005, 05:37 PM
use paragraphs.

willperkins
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
I would not call the flop bet. I would either raise or fold depending on my read.

1. If I thought he had the weak Ace, as you said, I would fold. I am being offered over 8 to 1 pot odds to call, but I am down to a two-outer. I still have lots of chips in relation to the blinds, so I let it go.

2. If you put him on a flush draw, reraise an amount that will give him incorrect odds to draw to the flush (about t300).

Since this is a $33 tourney and in just reading this and knowing nothing of the player, I would think he has has you beat and is slowplaying a a big hand and is trying to bet just enough to give you good pot odds to call.

IMHO

pokerraja
01-31-2005, 06:59 PM
*EDITED

this is off memory. 3rd or 4th hand early in PP sng. all players ~T800. 4 limpers to me (blinds 10/15) on the button with KK. I raise to 125. blinds fold and 2 of the limpers smooth call.

Flop is (A,5,5) 2 clubs on board. UTG player bets T55. one fold, I decide to smooth call here. His small bet confused me. I put him on a flush draw or a weak Ace. I wasnt sure if i should raise to about T200 or just fold. Anyways , i decided to smooth call and proceed from the turn.

Turn was a (9) non club. He again leads with T55. Again, I Just call. At this point from his betting I was certain he was on a flush draw.

THe river card is another (A). Final board is (A,5,5,9,A). He then bets all-in, ~T600. This call would also put me all in. I just couldnt see him shutting me out with his all-in if he indeed rivered a fullhouse. My read also indicates that he missed his flush. I didnt put him on having a 5. I'm not sure why, but i didnt. Anyways, after much tought, i decided to fold. He didnt show his hand, but I did end up winning the SNG. But this hand has me wondering. what do u guys think? and how could i of better played this hand? thanks

pokerraja
01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would not call the flop bet. I would either raise or fold depending on my read.

1. If I thought he had the weak Ace, as you said, I would fold. I am being offered over 8 to 1 pot odds to call, but I am down to a two-outer. I still have lots of chips in relation to the blinds, so I let it go.

2. If you put him on a flush draw, reraise an amount that will give him incorrect odds to draw to the flush (about t300).

Since this is a $33 tourney and in just reading this and knowing nothing of the player, I would think he has has you beat and is slowplaying a a big hand and is trying to bet just enough to give you good pot odds to call.

IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that a fold on the flop is the easiest play here. But, his initial bet looked very weak to me. Of course, sometimes weakness = strength. But it was cheap, and im thinking what the hell, hopefully he will turn off on the turn. well he bet the same weak bet on the turn, so I decided to call again. i do agree, that im really down to 2 outs if I am indeed behind. But, his bets looked like he wanted a cheap showdown to me, and maybe he did have a lower middle pair, like JJ, QQ.

I did not understand his bet on the river? but i decided a fold is my only option. does anyone call his river bet?

MSUcougar
01-31-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do agree that a fold on the flop is the easiest play here. But, his initial bet looked very weak to me. Of course, sometimes weakness = strength. But it was cheap, and im thinking what the hell, hopefully he will turn off on the turn. well he bet the same weak bet on the turn, so I decided to call again. i do agree, that im really down to 2 outs if I am indeed behind. But, his bets looked like he wanted a cheap showdown to me, and maybe he did have a lower middle pair, like JJ, QQ.

I did not understand his bet on the river? but i decided a fold is my only option. does anyone call his river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think he had a weak ace and bet out small on the flop and turn in hopes that you would simply call him (rather than checking and having to make a decision if you bet). Once the river A came, his kicker didn't matter any longer, which is why the big bet came.

I'd say I'm 90% sure he had an A here... so I think it was a good fold on your part (especially since it was so early in the tourney). Maybe he didn't have it, but it's really not worth the risk in that situation.