PDA

View Full Version : The Metling Pot

Monkeyslacks
01-31-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm taking my wife to the Melting Pot for her birthday tomorrow night. From those of you who have been there, is there anything that we absolutely must have while we're there?

Menu. (http://198.77.224.61/washingtondc/images/Washington,%20D.C.DC3.pdf)

Asnbabe
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
chocolate fomdue is a must if you like caramel, I would get the turtle...delicious. Also most of them serve a variety of wines, I would definately try one out...

Aces McGee
01-31-2005, 05:34 PM
It really depends on what you like. The most important thing, in my opinion, is to make sure you do the whole deal; cheese, meat, dessert.

-McGee

Monkeyslacks
01-31-2005, 05:37 PM
The dessert is kind of a problem given that she's doing the Atkins thing...

GuyOnTilt
01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
From those of you who have been there, is there anything that we absolutely must have while we're there?

You must get EVERYTHING YOU CAN POSSIBLY FIT IN YOUR STOMACH. Seriously. This place kicks some serious ass as far as dinner dates go. The food is just amazing. You definitely must get dessert; it's insanely good. Ask your server to recommend something. There's a lot of stuff not on the menu that they can make for you. Since it's your first time, I'd recommend going with the full 4 course meal and each get a different option for each. I'd be surprised if you disliked anything they served, so it's really just finding what you absolutely love as compared to just really like. If you do end up getting 3 or 4 courses, be ready to spend at least 3 hours. Awesome place.

GoT

Freakin
01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
chocolate fomdue is a must if you like caramel, I would get the turtle...delicious. Also most of them serve a variety of wines, I would definately try one out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you can dip the wine in melting cheese/chocolate, I'll have none of it.

Freakin

Aces McGee
01-31-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't know the details of the "Atkins thing," but wouldn't the cheese course be just as bad as the chocolate course for dieters?

-McGee

Number4
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Hopefully she can make an exception - I like the Bailey's chocolate or the Yin & Yang chocolate fondues. As far as the rest of it, it is all good.

Here's my personal favorite line-up:
Cheddar Cheese Fondue
CA Salad
Pacific Rim with the Coq au Vin Cooking Style
Dessert

Also, their wine selection is usually really good.

TimM
01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the details of the "Atkins thing," but wouldn't the cheese course be just as bad as the chocolate course for dieters?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, she can eat all the fats and protiens but must avoid carbohydrates. So no bread, fruits, starchy vegetables, and definitely no chocolate.

astroglide
01-31-2005, 05:52 PM
yes. have a 3 hour meal cooked by yourself, and then tip your server 20%. it's a must when you go there!

flaming turtle is my favorite of the chocolate.

Monkeyslacks
02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This place kicks some serious ass as far as dinner dates go.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really does. You get 3 hours of sharing an intimate & entertaining dining experience. One of the best date places I've ever been. A good place to put on a few pounds though in that I can eat a lot more in 3 hours than in a more typical 1 hour meal. The dessert is insanely good.

Thanks for the suggestions. We followed most of them.

Spota
02-02-2005, 07:19 PM
The cheese and chocolate fondues are very good. Im not a big fan of boiled meat though. I'll take the apps and the dessert but skip the rest.

JMO.
Spota

fatmongo
02-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow I'm kind of mad I've never heard of this place. Thats probably cuz theres not one in Mass. The site says one is coming to Boston soon though. Somebody fill me in on what I'm missing. Is it a casual joint? Dress-up or no?

astroglide
02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
...and after my mini-rant my sister asks me to take her there for her birthday next friday. [censored].

pubz r 4 nubz!
02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
For a happy Birthday screw, always use beads.
http://www.the-clitoris.com/1r4/toys2/a944x.jpg

Shajen
02-02-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a happy Birthday screw, always use beads.
http://www.the-clitoris.com/1r4/toys2/a944x.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

It was funny the first couple of times. Don't wear it out dude.

pubz r 4 nubz!
02-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Beads?

drewjustdrew
02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow I'm kind of mad I've never heard of this place. Thats probably cuz theres not one in Mass. The site says one is coming to Boston soon though. Somebody fill me in on what I'm missing. Is it a casual joint? Dress-up or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's casual. Don't get your hopes up. These people have built it up way beyond what it really is. It is unique, semi-expensive, with good food. Do not get "everything". It is way too much food. Skip the salad. It doesn't go with the rest of the meal and is a total waste of time. Also skip the expense of the lobster. Fairly tasteless when fried in oil. My favorites were the teriyaki steak, and the pork. The turtle dessert is good.

I think it is a good restaurant, but wouldn't put it in my top ten.

Nottom
02-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Hmm, they have one of these in Greensboro, NC ... who knew. I might need to head down and see what all the fuss is about sometime.

mistrpug
02-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I first went to the Melting Pit with my girlfriend about a year ago and it's become our favorite place to eat. It really is fan-fuc[/i]king-tastic. I've never had anything I didn't like. Even their salads are amazing (and I don't like salad).

OrangeHeat
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm with Astro...

Place is way overpriced, you cook your own food, and I hate it.

My wife loves it though...............

Orange