PDA

View Full Version : Chat and lying

microbet
01-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Most people aren't very good liers (or spellers?) and in person when they tell you something about their cards they are often pretty close to the truth.

What do you think about when people chat about their hands?

I generally ignore it online, but in person I definately try to figure it out.

wAzZu24
01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Today i had QQ and raised preflop and got one caller. The flop came AAA. He checked and i bet, then he thought for a long time and typed "Do you have the other A?" and called. The turn came a 10 and he checked again and i went all-in thinking he was just some retard with 3-3 or something. He thought again for a really long time and then typed "I have it" and called showing me A7 for the quad. I guess maybe i should have realized he had it but i was 4 tabling and chatting on msn so i really wasnt paying attention that much and just assumed QQ on the AAA flop was good. Should i have checked behind and called a small-medium river bet? or even fold?

willie24
01-31-2005, 05:31 PM
you can occasionally get something out of someone's chat. usually if they are talking about the hand they either have a huge hand or nothing. if they call after talking they almost always have a huge hand.

this doesn't happen enough to really be significant.

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-31-2005, 05:32 PM
The great thing is when people claim to have hands that can later be checked... I don't typically check hand histories in the middle of a session (except on Party where they are available automatically) -- but someone claiming they have a certain hand is one of the situations that makes me check.

A cash game example (0.5/1 NL) -- I have TT in MP. There is one limper and I make it $5 to go. CO (bad player) and limper call.

Flop is 235 rainbow. EP checks, I check (knowing that CO will bet), CO bets ($4), EP calls, I raise to $15, CO calls, EP folds.

Turn is J. I bet $20, CO calls.

River is an 8. I check, CO checks. My hand is exposed, CO mucks and says "99." I say "tough break there" and request the hand history. A minute later I know that CO had Q5s and I make note of his wonderful play.

Anyway -- in response to your question -- I regularly check whether someone is lying -- no need to try and figure it out -- and never lie about my hand (unless I folded it before the showdown).

Big Limpin'
01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people aren't very good liers (or spellers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. It's "sppelers". Get a dictionary man. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

johnny005
01-31-2005, 06:26 PM
K wait a second here.... you can check the hand histories and it tells you what the other player mucked?????? can you do this for sng's?

KenProspero
01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
No Way, it's speel just like i lernd in skool

Gar Pike
01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
If you're on Party and click on the hand history link in the upper right corner, it will show you the losing hands.

Not what people fold, or what the guy won with if there are no callers. It will show what the people who call the last bet had, even if they've checked the auto-muck option.

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-31-2005, 07:33 PM
On both party and PokerStars, the hand histories show all hands that go to showdown -- even the ones that are mucked and not shown at the end of the hand. Obviously you cannot see the hands of players that do not make it to the showdown -- i.e., folded hands at any earlier point. I believe you must be dealt into the hands in order to see the mucked hands in the hand history -- not sure about this -- I haven't tried to look at hands I was not dealt into.

I don't know what they do on any other site.

spentrent
01-31-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K wait a second here.... you can check the hand histories and it tells you what the other player mucked?????? can you do this for sng's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only hands mucked at the showdown.

Chaostracize
01-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Chatting during a hand is invariably, if not the nuts, then very close to it.

Chaostracize
01-31-2005, 09:24 PM
At Party you can check any hand that goes to showdown. I make it a point to check every hand I do not see.

jack spade23
01-31-2005, 09:39 PM
More than likely its a better hand than a worse, most people who are trying to steal or think they might be beat stare you down or sit there very quietly. When people talk they're trying to make you more comfortable.

Pulplife
01-31-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On both party and PokerStars, the hand histories show all hands that go to showdown -- even the ones that are mucked and not shown at the end of the hand. Obviously you cannot see the hands of players that do not make it to the showdown -- i.e., folded hands at any earlier point. I believe you must be dealt into the hands in order to see the mucked hands in the hand history -- not sure about this -- I haven't tried to look at hands I was not dealt into.

I don't know what they do on any other site.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI - On Stars you can get the hand history even if you aren't in the hand.

Pulp /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jbrochu
02-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I know you can see the hand history right away on Party, but can you also do this on Star? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-01-2005, 12:43 AM
no -- there is no immediate hand histories on PS like on Party -- you need to request them -- but you can request it by email after each hand if you want.