PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll = built, now what?

swolfe
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
What do you do when you get over-rolled for the game you're playing in? Cash out? Save it up to get to the next level? What if you already have a roll for the highest level you're comfortable playing at?

I play almost exclusively on PP (and skins), so having 30 buy-ins for their highest game is only $6K. I'm not sure if I'm ready (skill-wise) to play that game (plus it's annoying to have to wait forever...they need more tables), but I'm pretty massively over-rolled for any of the others.

fimbulwinter
01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
one idea that I used for quote a while was the progressive withdrawl method. say you've got 4K that you're going to use as your BR in 100NL or whatever. set a goal like 1K and play towards it. once your total is at 5K (you've made 1K) withdraw half of the profit. repeat. this helps grow your roll and takes money out for your hard work. the real decision you're going to want to make is whether you want to continue moving up or just making great money in 100NL or 200NL. that's what I did for a very long time. if you have the desire to keep going up, Id try prima's 2/4 (400NL) or a big live game (which is often easier than party's 25NL).

gl

fim

elnino12
01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
I like to keep about 15 buy-ins for the current level I'm at. When I get to about 20, I cash out until I'm back to 15. You might want to move up, or play somewhere like Pokerstars where the buy-in is 100x the big blind. Personally, I like multi-tabling Stars' 1/2 NL. That way I have about 3k in my roll and at least 800-1000 in play at all times. It works out pretty nicely. Good luck to you.

knifeandfork
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
good sir forgive me for saying,
being overrolled is a problem people like andy (beal is it?) have, not yourself to be very blunt and presumptious. i mean no disrespect but build it some more there is nothing wrong with sticking to the 15/30. are you multitabling? that could help to add to the "challenge" or break the monotony for you, perhaps add a few more tables depending on how many you play now.

when you have 500 big bets at level x sit under a tree in a calm place and watch the grass grow, then imagine the absolutely least skilled player you have ever played with at level x playing out of your current bankroll. if you really truly believe it is big enough for him to last three months of daily play with it and not be close to the felt then its defintiely time to consider moving semi permanently up. 100 big bets is not really a roll for 30/60 especially (more like a really bad session or three) with the blind aggression level of that game from what i have observed via the rail. now dont get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong (i actually reccomend it) with taking a shot with expendable money at bigger games that appear to be soft for that level. to quote rounders (cheesy but tru)"happens to the best of us" and more often to people like me;). i would normally leave this reply to someone who could speak from experience, but they may not wish to reply but "i know a guy" who murders the 15/30 on PP etc and he had a 300 bet downswing over a week.

alright well this is probably a joke post anyway so laugh it up at me fumbling for you guys! and if im off base on what you are talking about my sincere apologies if your roll is 100k talk to pokerstars/ub ) (the sites i can think of im sure there are others) about moving some over and trying the 40/80,80/160,100/200 they might offer you some nice incentives but i dont know personally. drop down and "learn" some new games they will come in handy if you switch to high stakes live, where sometimes the best game is stud or t draw or mixed etc. once again i mean no dsirespect, and if it is a joke you got me!
professional railbird,
jason
edit:gosh im dumb really dumb! where is wrong forum man for my reply? it translates loosely to the same thing kind of just its probably easier to feel over rolled in the nl 200 than the 30-60 limit. i would delete this but i think it might have valu if nothing other than to not be so dumb next time.flame a way

maldini
01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
what am i missing? your roll is coming from playing i presume? you have made enough that the stakes are not worth playing anymore yet you are concerned about moving up a level? seems odd.

my advise, FWIW, is to examine the goal. got to be one of 2 things:
1- maximizing income (probably by adding tables to your current level).
2- improving your game. you have to move up to do this. seems that most peoples problem with moving up is the money not the skill level of the opponents. no problem here.

warlockjd
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
You could always stake someone. I think theredpill3 and theredpill4 are available.

wbrumfiel
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
You could always come chip dump to me on UB. Feed the beginner 2+2 people /images/graemlins/smile.gif

swolfe
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what am i missing? your roll is coming from playing i presume? you have made enough that the stakes are not worth playing anymore yet you are concerned about moving up a level? seems odd.

my advise, FWIW, is to examine the goal. got to be one of 2 things:
1- maximizing income (probably by adding tables to your current level).
2- improving your game. you have to move up to do this. seems that most peoples problem with moving up is the money not the skill level of the opponents. no problem here.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's been 80% from playing, 20% from bonus whoring. i have a solid win rate at the $25 tables...8-tabling i can make around $35-40/hr on auto-pilot.

i've 4-tabled the $100 NL and, obviously, the win rate drops a bit...a lot of those people know what the fold button does. i've logged about 15K hands at the $100 level and have pretty good win rate. i'm going to start 8-tabling that level, but, assuming i don't turn into a losing player, my bankroll is really already big enough to play higher.

i guess i have a case of building a bankroll at a faster pace than i've been moving up levels.

also, this wasn't so much a question of "what should i do?" (title notwithstanding), it was more a question of "how do you guys approach this kind of thing?"

warlockjd
01-31-2005, 05:52 PM
You could also become a $200 Sit N Go expert, or specialize in the Party Step 5 tourneys. Seems like this could be profitable

TheWorstPlayer
01-31-2005, 06:50 PM
I cash out and buy trinkets for my girlfriend. That way she hassles me less about always playing poker. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

beta1607
01-31-2005, 06:57 PM
You can play a new site with 100BB stacks and against different players which will improve your skills alot or learn a new game. I recently started playing 7 Stud hi and it is really a fun game to learn and a good break from hold 'em.