PDA

View Full Version : Having the nuts, and telling your opponent

Kaz The Original
01-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Playing 10/20 at Brantford, I have QJo in the BB, there's an early position raise and about 4 or 5 calls, so I call as well. Was this a mistake?

Flop open ended, turn the nuts, and on the river I still have the nuts in a huge pot. The guy to my right and I capped the turn.

Come the river, it's heads up (one other player is all in). He looks at me and says "check or bet". I tell him "I'm gonna bet". He says, in a huffy voice, "Here I'll do it for you". I'm 90% sure he has the nuts as well. So I tell him, "I'm gonna raise, I have the nuts" and he calls.

He shows, we split.

Is there any +EV in this?

andyfox
01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
There's a school of thought that says the calmer, the more rastional the response to your question, the less likely is your opponent has the goods.

A few weeks ago I got a free play in the big blind with 8-2 and the flop came 8-8-8. I checked, there was a bet, everyone else folded and I called. My opponent said, "I don't have the 8." I said, "I do." I checked the turn, he bet and I called. I bet the river and he raised. I can't tell you whether my response was the determining factor or not.

TStoneMBD
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM
i dont know about any subconscience effects that may be derived from the sound of your voice, but i can say that the villain may softplay against you in the future, thinking that you softplayed him with the nuts during that hand. the game will be friendly between the two of you, and he may not be inclined to play his hardest against you.