PDA

View Full Version : new pad

sublime
01-31-2005, 03:34 PM
so i just moved into my new place, its a basement apartment in a family owned house. i got some sweet deal and the owners seem cool. here is my situation regarding the internet: i get it for free here (comcast high speed) but pick it up off of the guys wireless router. the signal seems fine right now, but since playing poker is a main source of my income i cant afford to lose connection at all. should i buy a booster for my already wireless enabled laptop? and what do i need to buy for my "non-wireless enabled" desktop (fairly new emachine)

thanks

lucas9000
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and what do i need to buy for my "non-wireless enabled" desktop (fairly new emachine)

[/ QUOTE ]

you can get a wireless receiver thingy that hooks up via usb for pretty cheap...like $40-50.

B00T
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
If you get the signal, you get the signal. I highly doubt judging from what you said that they are going to password protect it, and even if they did you could ask if it's ok if you leech off it seeing as it can be a luxary included in the rent etc.

If the signal becomes weak or you notice a drop in connection frequently then just drop the $40 a month for your own ISP modem and router for the basement.

sublime
01-31-2005, 03:43 PM
If you get the signal, you get the signal. I highly doubt judging from what you said that they are going to password protect it, and even if they did you could ask if it's ok if you leech off it seeing as it can be a luxary included in the rent etc.

no, its included already.

i was wondering if i should bother with a booster for the laptop, or the desktop (which i will need to add a wireless card to regardless)

i keep checking the signal to guage the strength and it says "low" pretty often. i should probably just pay for the boosters

astroglide
01-31-2005, 03:47 PM
kill yourself

fnord_too
01-31-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't know, but make sure they have wireless security turned on. Also, I would make sure their network is reasonably secure, too.

sublime
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
kill yourself

go do something constructive. like play 48 tables at one time or something.

TobDog
01-31-2005, 06:04 PM
If your concerned, I assume you will have a seperate phone line? Check with the phone company and DSL extreme to get DSL prices, it sshould cost you less that $35/mo if poker is your main source of income, dont rely on someone elses(in this case, your neighbor's) internet connection for your work, thats like being assured your little brother will loan you his car every time you have to goto work delivering pizzas(just an example, not making fun)