PDA

View Full Version : Tough spot on the flop

scrub
01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
A friend of mine played this weekend and told me about it but didn't want to post it. I think it's the sort of spot that people often don't know what to do in, but forget about having been in when their session is over, so I figured I'd post it.

The game is 3/6 in Atlantic City. My friend hadn't played in the specific cardroom much before, but she usually has a pretty tight image so I'm guessing that was her image here.

She has A/images/graemlins/club.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gif on the button and raises 3 limpers. The blinds and all the limpers call. We see the flop with 12 SB in the pot.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Blinds check. First limper checks. Bet from a player with $21 left in front of him. The next player raises. The raiser had played a hand against my friend in a previous orbit where she had raised preflop from up front with an overpair, he raised her on a 224 flop, called her 3-bet and folded the turn for one bet, claiming to have had A4. He was also apparently one of those guys who constantly tries to push preflop raisers off of AK on low boards, and he loved to jam his draws.

There's a $4 rake in AC that was hit by the time the action got to her, and she will tip a buck if she wins, so there's effectively 13.3 SB in the pot.

What should she do?

scrub

Edit: Revised my friend's history with the preflop raiser.

Fat Nicky
01-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Based on the previous history with the flop raiser, and although I wouldn't have the rocks to make this play w/A high, i'm assuming the play would be to 3-bet, hoping to eliminate the flop bettor and proceed to take down the pot when the flop raiser checks to you and you bet to take down the pot. You're getting about 3-1 odds for all this to work out, that just might be enough for this play to work again.

Joe Tall
01-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Scrub,

I think the aim of this post is in the wrong direction. Why worry about the tricky flop raiser? How about the short stack who bet the flop in a multiway pot, into a solid PFR, who is likely to go to a showdown?

It's 3-bet or fold territory, yes. I muck.

Go Pats!
Joe Tall

rmarotti
01-31-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes. I muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

BottlesOf
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
3-bet or a muck, got a read on the bettor? I'm leaning towards a muck, but I might do either depending on how things have been going at the table.

Tosh
01-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I'd fold this, I'm worried about the original bettor and the 3 other guys, I can't see continuing even if there's a chance raiser is trying to push me off AK.

Flushed
01-31-2005, 05:03 PM
I am the lurking friend who refused to post. I did fold on the flop since I had grave doubts about the cleanliness of my outs, the hand distribution of the original bettor, no read on blinds and first limper, and no good estimate of the 3/6 "moron factor."

Results:

Flop: I fold on the button, blinds fold, first limper folds, original bettor 3-bets, raiser calls.
Pot: 18 SB (not subtracting rake etc)

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Three-bettor bets, flop caller calls
Pot: 11 BB

River: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Three-bettor gets himself all in, caller calls.
Final pot: 13 BB

Three bettor: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif (pair of 7s)
Caller: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (pair of 9s)

Question: can anyone explain why cold-calling is the worst option on the flop?

- Flushed