PDA

View Full Version : A moral dilemma re: making someone redundant, or, is my Dad a bastard?

partygirluk
01-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Wasim has worked for my Dad's accountantancy firm for 4 years. He is an extremely nice, religious, taciturn immigrant from Pakistan. He has 3 children, who are late teens or early twenties. His wife does not work, and money is quite tight.

2 years ago my Dad's firm was bought out, and merged into a larger company. This business has been incompetently managed, and is recovering from a dire financial mess. Some weeks ago they looked at their books. Wasim is 57, and thus gets paid (relatively) highly. The senior management, of which my Dad is now a member, decided that he was costing more than he was making, so they were going to make him redundant.

Here is the tricky part. Jan 31 is a major tax deadline in the UK. Every year my Dad busts his gut during January, and he had to turn down an invitation to an amazing wedding in Florida that took place 2 weeks ago. It is a nightmare month for an accountant. He has been working 7 days a week, up to 14 hours a day this past week. My Dad's company did not want Wasim deciding to leave during this month, thus they held back from telling him until today. But tomorrow he leaves for a month in Pakistan, and so he is going to have no time to search for a job.

As a devout capitalist this leaves me in a quandry. From a purely business decision, they probably did the right thing. But from a human perspective, leaving this 57 yr, hard working, sweet man no time to find a new job, when they easily could have, strikes me as cruel.

What say ye?

ThaSaltCracka
01-31-2005, 02:55 PM
very mean, but thats business for you.

cockandbull
01-31-2005, 02:57 PM
teach him poker /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeerMoney
01-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Worse things have happened to people.

The once and future king
01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Whats this story got to do with your dad being born out of wedlock?

astroglide
01-31-2005, 03:09 PM
i would have done something along the lines of offering him 2 months salary to stay through january

HDPM
01-31-2005, 03:19 PM
The firm is completely unprofessional. Accountants are supposed to be professionals, right? So yes, they are bastards. But Wasim should have seen it coming. If they did this to him, he must have seen they were bastards before. When you work for bastards, bad things happen to you. He will be better off without the job in the long run. Unles he is a bastard and likes it there.

P.S. The most successful capitalists are professional in their dealings with other professionals.

ThaSaltCracka
01-31-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. The most successful capitalists are professional in their dealings with other professionals.

[/ QUOTE ] Very true. Bastard employers create bastard employees. If I worked there and saw them do this to a co-worker I would hate the place and my productivity would decline. I would also start looking for a new job.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 03:37 PM
This sucks but that's the way it is.

Take note and conduct yourself accordingly.

Wayfare
01-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Include two weeks more of severance pay on his package b/c of the pakistan trip delaying his job search?

fnord_too
01-31-2005, 03:47 PM
I think it is very bad form and is not good business, either. Basically, management is sending a very strong (unitentional) message to everyone else who works there that they do not care enough about their employees to even give them ample notice. Since January is such a busy month, this guy may have been able to get a job if they let him go or told him they were going to let him go. Yeah, that's bad for the company to lose someone in crunch time, but this will likely seriously hurt morale and erode the loyalty of other employees.

There is an axiom in business, you can only lie to your employees once. Though I don't hold that he was lied to (others may), it is a pretty big screw job that is going to cost management trust and support amongst those who remain and know about it.

From a human standpoint, it's pretty lousy, too.

ethan
01-31-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is very bad form and is not good business, either. Basically, management is sending a very strong (unitentional) message to everyone else who works there that they do not care enough about their employees to even give them ample notice. Since January is such a busy month, this guy may have been able to get a job if they let him go or told him they were going to let him go. Yeah, that's bad for the company to lose someone in crunch time, but this will likely seriously hurt morale and erode the loyalty of other employees.

There is an axiom in business, you can only lie to your employees once. Though I don't hold that he was lied to (others may), it is a pretty big screw job that is going to cost management trust and support amongst those who remain and know about it.

From a human standpoint, it's pretty lousy, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are just about exactly my thoughts on the subject. Doing this sucks, and I'd think it'll be bad for morale among the rest of the employees.

Jamper
02-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Perhaps right now, at some higher level meeting, more senior managers are thinking about making your father redundant.

===

My reply to your superbowl Q was a little late - but you still may find it helpful

-jamp (testing out my new tag-line.. Hmm.. it's not going well right now)