PDA

View Full Version : Beginner/Intermediate Poker Strategy books

Metalhead3201
01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
I've been playing poker with friends for the last 2 years or so, and I've played a couple of tournaments online. I'm basically looking to learn the basic strategies and hand percentages of no limit holdem. What book would you recommend me to read or are there any free books or sites on the internet that I could read to help my game? Thanks for the help.

binions
01-31-2005, 02:26 PM
You might try searching the Books & Software forum.

Basically, the best beginner NL tournament book is the "New Player Guide to NL" by McEvoy.

Better (and more advanced) for NL tournaments is Harrington on Hold'em.

For NL cash games, try the NL chapter in SuperSystem, and "PL & NL Poker" by Ciaffone & Reuben

2ndGoat
01-31-2005, 03:28 PM
"Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky is hands-down required reading no matter what game you want to play, and is available on this website. It teaches the fundamental concepts at work in any variation of poker.
After reading that you can branch out to the NL books every one else will recommend.

2ndGoat

Metalhead3201
01-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Is it free on this website? What link to do I go to to find it?

M50Paul
01-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Try the library, you can find many of these books there

Metalhead3201
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
ok thanks, I was just about to cough up 36 for it.

benfranklin
02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok thanks, I was just about to cough up 36 for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cough it up. You need to have certain basic books in your collection, and to go back to them over and over again. It is false economy to try to read a poker book from the public library or, as some here do, at a book store. You are going to have to read a good book at least 2-3 times before you start to really get any value out of it, preferably studying it and taking notes. And you will be constantly referring back to specific sections as questions arise. Any professional in any field has a solid personal library of reference books. Anyone who doesn't is not serious about what they are doing. Which is fine if you just want to have a little fun and not lose too much money.

sean c
02-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Ben is right on. Theory of poker is a text book not a quick read buy it!