PDA

View Full Version : Good semi-bluff?

Muisyle
01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($50)
BB ($121.37)
UTG ($81.2)
UTG+1 ($61.65)
MP1 ($49.25)
MP2 ($44.5)
CO ($50)
Button ($35.15)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, CO calls $2.

Turn: ($7) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>

Is this a good play or a stupid one? Villain's stats were 21 vp$ip, and he never went to showdown in 30 hands. I was looking to take the pot down with this.

amoeba
01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
if you and CO are a bit deeper, I like it but otherwise I don't see too much folding equity here since he minraised the turn.

what about a planned check raise on the flop?

lil_o
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I like your line. My only problem is that since your stacks aren't that deep I would probably push the turn(knowing you would bet $35 out of $42 left of your stack). You have to be cofident your flush outs are still good to make this move.

Tilt
01-31-2005, 02:58 PM
I think its an excellent play if you are sure this is a player who can fold when challenged. Making your move on the turn is 1) more profitable if he folds, and 2) more consistent with a strong hand. I disagree that a push is better - this line applies just as much pressure and is more consistent with the respresentation that you DON'T want him to fold.

I think you should have bet more on the flop however - 3 or 4.

Burno
01-31-2005, 03:04 PM
I've got mixed feelings here.

Obviously you found the right type of player to pull this on. But I'm concerned that since the villain hasn't seen a showdown yet, he may very well be frustrated enough to look you up. Like amoeba said, the money really isn't deep enough for a significant amount of folding equity.

Those damn party turn min-raises are weak one pair type hands or close to the nuts, rarely in between. I actually think it's quite likely that villain is way ahead at the moment.

FWIW, I check this flop if I have any LAGs behind me but generally lead just as you did. I love combo hands. Ususally +EV and they satisfy my need to gambool it up.

Muisyle
01-31-2005, 04:34 PM
The guy thought for a good 10 seconds or so and then folded. I'm having a hard time putting him on a hand, especially since he was posting in the CO after sitting out.

I seriously doubt I'm actually ahead at this point, but there is almost nothing that I don't have at least 30% equity against (20% against the straight). I don't think he would fold a Jx two pair, or a AJd TPTK flush draw, and I don't really think he had just a J because he wouldn't call the flop with just overcards. So I'm thinking that leaves him with either a weak top pair (remember he's posted PF) or a flush draw of his own (two random diamonds), and he tried to semi bluff what might have been a scare card to me.

Now that I think about it, I think he had Jx of diamonds. He likes his hand on the turn with top pair and a good draw, but I have now bet out twice, and then reraised, he probably thinks I have at least two pair or a set, if not the straight.