PDA

View Full Version : Buffet, EV & Ethics...

VBM
01-31-2005, 01:42 PM
A friend & I went to a seafood/sushi buffet and he started to peel the fish off of the rolls of rice, and eat only the fish, throwing away the rice.

I expressed some shock at this type of behavior and my friend expressed an equal measure of shock at my disdain.

I got to wondering;
1. Am I applying some sort of non-existent ethical standard to how someone else enjoys their food?

2. is the buffet the unique dining experience that allows you to maximize your food-EV, and you're actually the fool if they don't regulate this type of behavior?

3. are we, in effect, both just enjoying our dining out experience through different means and both right? i.e. me enjoying it my way, him enjoying it his way?

mmbt0ne
01-31-2005, 01:49 PM
The sushi buffet I eat at is not keen on the idea of people trashing the rice, and I've seen them throw the equivalent sashimi charge on the offender's bill.

It is the buffet's responsibility to regulate it, but I would feel the same way you do about it.

turnipmonster
01-31-2005, 01:49 PM
eating at a "sushi buffet" cannot be +EV. who wants cheap sushi?

--turnipmonster

M2d
01-31-2005, 01:51 PM
If it's an all you can eat sushi deal where they make your sushi fresh to order, then I think they commonly have a rule against tossing the rice. If it's a buffet that includes sushi where it's made ahead of time and put out on trays for people to pick up, I think your friend is increasing his EV. His Salmonella intake EV.

VBM
01-31-2005, 01:51 PM
in truth, the sushi is OK but they do offer a bunch of non-sushi cooked foods that are surprisingly good. not like, Bellagio-buffet good, but it's also 1/2 the price...

Corey
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
If you did this at my favorite all-you-can-eat sushi place, they would (1) not bring you another order and (2) Add the price of the roll onto your bill.

Eating just the fish is +EV for the consumer, but -EV for the restaurant and thus is not allowed.

stabn
01-31-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

also 1/2 the price...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were talking about todai until we got here. Maybe it was the eating co?

In any case, there are definitely buffets that tell you they will charge you for doing that. I don't think todai does this though, and i don't remember if eating co does or not. I think if they ask you not to, in verbal or written form it's bad form to peel the rice off. Otherwise it's probably ok ethically. I still don't do it, although maybe i should since my girlfriend eats about 10 dollars worth of food at a 22 dollar buffet every time we go.

Freakin
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

andyfox
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
My wife doesn't eat the rice either, doesn't want the carbs. She'll order sashimi, but when sushi's all there is, she'll 86 the rice. I don't think it's any different from taking, say, a lemon merignue pie from the buffet and only eating the meringue or the filling because you don't like the other part, or scraping the almonds off of trout almondine. You're eating the part you like and discarding the part you don't.

jar
01-31-2005, 05:17 PM
If you've got sushi to eat and you're throwing out the rice, you're completely missing the point. Go to Bob's Fish Shack instead.

Alobar
01-31-2005, 05:43 PM
you should be able to eat your food however you like. If the restraunt wants to tell him he cant do that, thats fine. but so long as they dont care, why should you? We all have our own tastes and likes.

stabn
01-31-2005, 05:47 PM
No one who takes the rice off does it for 'taste'. No one.

Alobar
01-31-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I've never eaten sushi, so I dunno

andyfox
01-31-2005, 06:14 PM
I sometimes do. I probably wouldn't at a buffet though, because the taste is probably sub-par.

stabn
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
If you weren't at a buffet wouldn't you simply order sashimi that didn't come with rice anyway?

Lawrence Ng
01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. are we, in effect, both just enjoying our dining out experience through different means and both right? i.e. me enjoying it my way, him enjoying it his way?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I do not go to all-you can eat sushi places.

Lawrence

andyfox
01-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Usually we order "family style" as a sushi place.

DBowling
01-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Im really surprised there wasnt a sign posted saying this was not allowed. Its typically not. But if there isnt a sign posted, i think what he did was fine. Even if there was, and hid some of the rice in a napkin, id think its fine.

stabn
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Ah, smooth. Unfortunately my girlfriend won't eat raw fish /images/graemlins/smile.gif. So she's always getting rolls (and tempura'd rolls if she can, the more cooked the better). Sharing just...isn't an option.

Reef
01-31-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

not all sushi buffet type restaurants are cheap.

Reef
01-31-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I've never eaten sushi, so I dunno

[/ QUOTE ]

you've gotta try some good sushi at least once in your life. Sushi's good at least once a month to me

andyfox
01-31-2005, 06:59 PM
It's not just that: sometimes something comes that has some goopy stuff in the rice or near the rice that I don't want. And sometimes I just want the rice because it's the goopy stuff I like, but the stuff inside of it is icky.

Sorry for all the technical terminology.

stabn
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

in the rice or near the rice that I don't want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasabi?

Not sure on your second goopy stuff. In any case, i'll rephrase my earlier "no one" to, "most of the time with the great majority of people, it isn't about the taste of the rice, especially at a buffet".

VBM
01-31-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it was the eating co?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right; it is, in fact, eating factory.

A couple of people have said that they would never eat buffet sushi, but in this case, i was a guest and it would've been uncouth of me to turn my nose up at the invite...