PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay money to learn Hold Em from Vince Van Patton?

Hauser_III
01-31-2005, 01:16 PM
I watched this Sunday's episode of the second-to-last preliminary round of the Ultimate Poker Challenge (am I the only one in America still watching these, by the way?), and one of the commercials was for a 3 DVD set from Vince Van Patton promising to tell you all about how to beat the pros at hold em. The commercial even included cheesy "testimonials" from Chris Moneymaker, Daniel Negraneau and Evelyn Ng, with the one from Moneymaker being the most hilarious, to the effect of "you can learn the basic concepts from these lessons, and sit down and beat the pros tonight." Based on some of the absolutely absurd comments VVP makes about hands during the WPT shows, I can't imagine that there's anything remotely useful in these DVD's.

jojobinks
01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
i think my mother, who's played 10-15 hours of hold 'em tournaments, knows more about poker. what i absolutely KNOW is that she'd be more articulate in explaining it than VVP is on WPT.

i wonder if he talks about picking up a real hand, a wired pair of 3's, and the flop going bingo bango bongo with the star spangled banner going off in your head, digging the hole, laying the sticks over it. sometimes when that happens, i'm not sure what to do.

he's the worst thing about the show, followed closely behind by mike sexton. i admire sexton's poker skills, but not his ability as an analyst. they need to replace those boobs immediately.

his dvd set is about as cynical a cash in as i can imagine. i'm sorry, i thought of something more cynical: moneymaker indicating that someone could compete by following the advice of a few hours of dvd's.

Grisgra
01-31-2005, 01:45 PM
You mean, again?

brokedickrooster
01-31-2005, 02:20 PM
I guess my reponse is two-fold. First, no, I wouldn't imagine that there is anything REALLY useful to anyone that is already a card player. These discs, much like the WPT TV shows, are geared for the people that know nothing. The WPT show cannot be profitable by catering just to serious card players. It must pander to the lowest common denominator of viewers by creating the World Wide Wrestling Federation atmoshpere with the ridiculous characters of good and evil. Vince and Mike must lower their information level so it is understood by people that have no idea what is actually going on. There is so little good poker actually shown of TV, (Fox Sports has by FAR the best coverage) that it hardly seems possible that any intermediate card player should expect to learn anything from these shows or from any of the videos offered from them.

otnemem
01-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Results below in white:

<font color="white">No. </font>

italianstang
01-31-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with the star spangled banner going off in your head

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate Vince Van Patten, for two reasons, because of the above quote and its truly incredible over use and because they introduce him sometimes as "Tournament Poker Guru" on WPT.

tek
01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't watch V V P's or Hellmuth's dvd's with your eyes /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BarronVangorToth
01-31-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

World Wide Wrestling Federation atmoshpere with the ridiculous characters of good and evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me until a misplaced WWE reference.

For shame.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

nothumb
01-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut, 'cause the answer's always yes.

NT

-Syk-
01-31-2005, 07:13 PM
VVP uses the same 4 catch phrases every episode. He doesn't even need to show up to the events, they can just dub in the same 4 phrases into every show.

"Wired pair"
"Real hand!"
"Ohhh, he's playing it slow setting the twigs over the hole!"
"Ohhh, showtunes going off in his head!"

Willy
01-31-2005, 07:22 PM
U betcha

toots
01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
I guess it's what he has to resort to now that the ravages of age makes gigolo... I mean "tennis pro"... pretty much out of the question.

Tevyee
01-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Mike Sexton is okay but VVP just irritates the hell out of me! I can't imagine anyone taking their poker game to the next level with VVP at the helm. The DVD's are just part of a long line of poker products for fish.

jack spade23
01-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Vince Van Patton has no idea what he is talking about. he tries to make the game easier to understand to the veiwer, but to poker players he is only generating lines similar to the ones in "Tilt": "I didn't need ot look at my cards, I saw your face when you looked at yours." lol

Mammux
02-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Mike and Vince really remind me of the auto-generated commentary in the NHL series from EA Sports.

-Magnus

drewjustdrew
02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with the star spangled banner going off in your head

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate Vince Van Patten, for two reasons, because of the above quote and its truly incredible over use and because they introduce him sometimes as "Tournament Poker Guru" on WPT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was the hollywood homegame champ. Anyways, I would bet he is a decent player. He is just hamming it up for the show. I will never be able to comment on the dvds as I will never see them. Most of us are very likely beyond any of its teachings.