PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & Newbie questions

MJU
01-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Firstly, as I am new to the forums a little about me :-

Whilst I have been playing poker for a little over a year it is only over the last couple of months that I found 2+2 and started to take the game a little more seriously. Previously I was only a STT and MTT player but I was lured at the end of the year by the Gaming Club bonus which set me out to pursue the ring games.

I’ve invested some money in Pokertracker and most importantly I’ve invested my time in reading some books (SSHE, TOP, HEFAP) as well as 2+2, and applying the theory in practice. I also spend time to analyse my play in pokertracker. My next step is to post hands on the micro limit forum.

January was my first full month in this new current mindset and the month is just about to pass with mixed results. I am only playing at 0.5/1 and won’t think of moving up until I feel I have the fundamentals in place, bankroll is not an issue, consistent successful play is.

To some extent I actually think I didn’t do as well from a BB/100 perspective applying the new techniques as I would have done in my old pre PT and 2+2 days. However, this is most likely due to variance, but most importantly, I feel much more confident in my play and I know I am setting the foundations for future solid ring game play.

I also feel that when I started applying some of the material I had read on 2+2 it was clear that I had become too preoccupied with statistics and the thinking that my VPIP, PFR etc had to be within the ranges highlighted on the forums. I want to move away from this in February as I feel the stats should occur as a result of my play and not drive it. I think I moved into a case of the ‘tail wagging the dog’ with the PT statistics. Sure, if my results drop I will use the stats to identify leaks but my guess is that you can take 50 people with exactly the same VPIP & PFR stats over 10k hands and the quality of their play (and BB results) could differ significantly.

Now onto the main reason for my post. I have two queries that I am sure have been answered many times before but whilst I can use the ‘search’ function I rarely find it to be of any use.

Counting Outs on a Flush Draw and OESD
When it comes to playing flush draws I feel that I am always overstating the odds relative to the guidance in poker texts and/or the 2+2 forums. If I have suited hole cards and flop 4 to a flush the guidance seems to be that I have 9 outs when calculating the odds that the pot needs to be laying me in order to get value from my flush draw.

However, if I am playing 10 handed should I not assumed that on average 5 of the 20 hole cards will be of my suit, I have 2 of the 5, therefore there would be, on average, 3 more of my suit in other players hole cards. Consequently the number of outs I should be counting is actually 6 rather than 9?

The same would also apply to OESD’s and say for example I should discount 3 of the 8 as they would, on average, be in the hole cards of the others sat at the table. [38% (20/52) of the cards are hole cards, therefore on average, 38% of my OESD cards will already be out there 38% x 8 = 3.04, therefore I really only have 5 to an OESD?

[I think the math needs to be refined slightly as in the flush example there are 9 of my required suit available out of 47 unseen cards. 18 of these are hole cards therefore the 9 of the suit I require are split on average 3.44 in the 18 unseen hole cards and 5.55 in the unseen 29 cards remaining in the deck. I am confusing myself with this now – Have I really only got 5.55 outs to a flush on average?]

Whilst I don’t expect this to have a material impact on the results I just wanted to understand it from a theoretical perspective. Although what I am suggesting above is lowering the value of a flush draw by 38.3%. Is there a reason that I am not aware of as to why you should count 9 outs in the case of a flush draw and 8 in the case of an OESD? Should you ever discount your outs as highlighted above. Over 10k flush draws my guess is that this could make some small difference? I think I am missing something here and would welcome the obvious to be pointed out to me.

Raising in late position with a premium hand with many earlier callers
Playing 10 handed at the micro level of 0.5/1 I often find myself in the situation of having a premium hand but I have many ‘limpers’ before me. Lets say I am in the SB or BB and I find AA and I have 5 limpers before me and I know that they are all going to call for 1 extra bet.

I understand from the post by Ed Miller and SSHE that I should raise when I have the best of it, and there is no doubt I have the best of it with AA. Of all the players involved, I will on average, be getting the majority of each $ entering the pot. However, all the other players added together will be getting more than my, say 20% (not sure if AA would get this much share of the value 6 handed), of the value.

Including my bet, there will be another $3.00 entering the pot and as I am getting 20% of that (which equals $0.6) it is positive EV for me as I am getting a greater share of what goes into the pot than what I put in.

However, the +EV benefit is marginal, as is the –EV that would be experienced by some of the other players in the hand and therefore they will stay in even though it is only marginally negative. Is this slight +EV offset by being out of position for the remainder of the hand? Also, from a Psychological point of view is there any value in not raising. My thinking being, I would get less distressed losing with bullets if I hadn’t raised them than I would be if I had raised and I get beat by what is considered an inferior hand. As I am only going to win this scenario about 20% of the time is it worth going through the psychological impact of losing with raised bullets 4 times out of 5? I think I know the answer to this one but I thought I’d ask anyway.

Would I play this scenario any different if I was on the button because I would always have position on people?

I am sure I will have many more queries as my poker journey continues and again, apologies if these topics have been covered numerous times before.

Many thanks.

M

daveymck
01-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Theres a lot there and I have to say I didnt read it all in detail.

Question 1 no do not discount outs, you can only discount the cards you can see ie your hand and the flop. I think you are overthinking the concept, reread the counting outs section in SSH it may clarify now you have given thought to this.

Question 2 Yes raise it up, yes you will get sucked out on AA/KK/QQ when ahead before flop, perhaps more so at the .5/1 level but get over it its going to happen loads of times, but these three hands are going to be your biggest winners over your poker career and I would be very surprised that even at .5/1 with the schooling effect of lots of callers that it is only going to be good 1 out of 5 times, dont have my stats on me but certainly my winning with AA/KK was higher than that.

Bear in mind the Theory of Poker, we want people to make mistakes and do things incorrectly compared to if they could see your hand, if they want to limp in with K10 67s any Ace and all the other crap they come in with you have to punish them and push the times when you are ahead.

Limit poker is one big suckout whether with premium hands or other times when you are well ahead and someone hits a miricle card on the river or runner runner outs to beat you. Learn to accept it and welcome it cos the times when their long shot hits are dwarfed by the times they are not, you have to learn to shrug your shoulders and just get on with the next hand knowing long term the money will come to you.

bolgenmod
02-02-2005, 04:07 AM
Your question about counting outs is a very interesting one to me because I too don't really understand how one can fail to account for cards that are statistically likely to be in other player's hands. Someone did pose a similar question at one point, but I can't even remember the forum, much less the poster, so I guess it would be impossible to find. I do remember that everyone seemed to think that it was ok to count the nine full outs, but no one had what seemed (to me at least) a satisfactory answer as to why. But I'm no math god.

If you really want an answer to your question, I suggest that you repost your question about outs in the probability forum -- ask only that question and try to make a good (informative) subject line (ie, other players' cards reduce odds?). A long post that covers lots of subjects is often hard to answer. Try shorter posts with only one question, and you might get more information.

Good luck!

MJU
02-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the post.

I had already took your advice before reading it and put a post up on the probability forum.

You can see the response in the link below and this really helped my understanding.

Discounting Outs - Probability Forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1655696&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)