PDA

View Full Version : When To Call Draw

KeithF40
01-31-2005, 10:28 AM
When should I call an open ended straight draw on the flop when its heads up. How large pot odds should I normally need when there is no pair or three suited cards out there. Also how would position effect my play on this. Thanks.

Muisyle
01-31-2005, 12:03 PM
It's simple. You call when either A) he's laying you odds ~4:1 or B) he's not laying you odds, but he will pay you off if you hit (implied odds).

Fold all other times.

lil_o
01-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I think it is very player dependent. Calling with a draw against a good player basically broadcasts your hand, allowing him to put pressure on you. If you are playing against a weak player, sometimes it is better to bet/raise if you think he is capable of folding. The right time to call is if you feel hitting your hand will allow you to take his stack (read a player for big overpair or set) or if you get the right pot odds (~4-to-1 I think). If you are calling your draw against a strong hand without the correct odds you are going to bleed a lot of chips away and have high variance.

Ghazban
01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's simple. You call when either A) he's laying you odds ~4:1 or B) he's not laying you odds, but he will pay you off if you hit (implied odds).

Fold all other times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit of an oversimplification, though definitely not bad advice. If, for example, you play the same people every week (in a home game or whatever), your predictable tendencies will cost you money in the long run. For metagame reasons, it is sometimes correct to make -EV plays as it will allow you to make more money on future hands. Of course, at small stakes online no-limit games, metagame considerations are far less important due to the high player turnover rate and the very large pool of potential opponents.

Tilt
01-31-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is a bit of an oversimplification, though definitely not bad advice. If, for example, you play the same people every week (in a home game or whatever), your predictable tendencies will cost you money in the long run. For metagame reasons, it is sometimes correct to make -EV plays as it will allow you to make more money on future hands. Of course, at small stakes online no-limit games, metagame considerations are far less important due to the high player turnover rate and the very large pool of potential opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Put another way, bots always lose in the long-run. So don't play like a bot.

KeithF40
01-31-2005, 01:37 PM
If a player bets around 2/3 pot to me and if I hit my straight he will not expect it at all is it right to call. Also when the board is paired or has two cards to a flush how should I adjust the pot odds.

Ghazban
01-31-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If a player bets around 2/3 pot to me and if I hit my straight he will not expect it at all is it right to call. Also when the board is paired or has two cards to a flush how should I adjust the pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its never that black and white. If a guy will always give you his entire stack when you hit, its a math problem. If there are two flush cards out, you can sometimes make money with a busted straight by betting when the 3rd flush cards hits and your opponent folding.

There is no simple answer to your questions as they all require some information about your opponent(s) and how he/they view you.