PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct play here?

TheNoocH
01-31-2005, 09:11 AM
What is the correct play???

2 tables left in the tournament...blinds are 250/500...10 total people left and the payout is to the top 9...the action is folded to me on the button with pocket 4's...i have 1850 in chips (which is bottom 2 of small stacks)...small blind is top 2 in chips (approx 10-12K) and the big blind (mid stack)... what should i have done???

Bernas
01-31-2005, 09:39 AM
I'd push here.
If you fold, you won't have much more time to pick up a decent hand.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2 tables left in the tournament...blinds are 250/500...10 total people left and the payout is to the top 9...the action is folded to me on the button with pocket 4's...i have 1850 in chips (which is bottom 2 of small stacks)...small blind is top 2 in chips (approx 10-12K) and the big blind (mid stack)... what should i have done???

[/ QUOTE ]

Muck.

EDIT: Where the other short stacks are relative to the blinds is important. The problem here is that you're more likely to get called because you're facing the big stack in the blind, and because you could be moving in with a LOT of holdings.

The increased likelihood of getting played with here makes this a fold for me, but it's close. It also depends on how the others are playing, etc.

Also: are there antes?

TheNoocH
01-31-2005, 04:33 PM
thanks for the post...no there weren't any antes yet...it was going to 500/1000 next (and capping there with antes)...you make a great point concerning how the people in the blinds were playing...i went all in for about the same amount in the same position about 1/2 hour ealier and wasn't called...the small blind (big stack) contemplated for a while though b/f he folded...but otherwise he played very aggressive (but for the most part smart) with the big stack...

but this is how my final demise went...i figured i haven't had a decent hand in a while (plus i think i was tired and losing my patience it was around 2am)...so i figured calling wasn't correct...i was torn b/t folding and pushing...i did push....small blind after many minutes of thinking calls...he turns over AJ suited...flop hits J and 3 to a flush...then came runner, runner flush cards...even though the flush didn't matter it just proved to me i shouldn't have been in that hand at that point of the tourney with such a big stack behind me....just curious if there was a definitive correct play....i thought it was a coin flip so i went with it at least hoping to get folds or have the pair stand up...oh well live and learn ...only my 2nd tourney so i think 10 out of 150 wasn't too bad...but it would have been nice to get paid...ha...

marrek
01-31-2005, 05:20 PM
I think somehting else to consider here is how much is 9th place worth? Is it significant, or do you really just want to make it in the $$? If you wanted to make 9th, i think you could easily fold and hope for a decented starter or keep folding for 19 more hands, hoping one of the other shorts gets busted.

If your not playing for 9th, push in and hope you win the race against the big stack ( who is verly likely to call).

Marrek