PDA

View Full Version : Just moved up to 5/10... 15/30 next?

SkiGuyGT
01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
I was doing good at 2/4 and thought I'd give 5/10 a shot. Well so far it seems just about as easy as 2/4. I had a steady 2-3BB/hr winrate at .5/10-2/4, and I've been able to stay at ~2BB at 5/10.

I've only been playing poker for maybe 7 months but it seems like I could almost make a living out of it if I wanted.

For you guys who play 15/30, is the jump from 5/10 or so easier then you anticipated? I mean if I could win 2BB/hr at that level thats 120k a year!

I plan on staying at 5/10 till I build up a bankroll, while taking money out, so it may take awhile till I can move up again. But I'd love to see just how far I can go.

Brian
01-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Between your other post about quads and this one, I'm not sure whether or not you are serious. If you are, though, there's at least one thread started on this topic every month, so try checking the archives.

-Brian

lostinthought
01-31-2005, 08:36 AM
You talk about win rates, but you don't mention sample size. I cruised at around 5-6bb/100 for a long stretch in 2/4 and 3/6, just to spend an equal amount of time smoothing that down.

I think you want to have a large amount of hands and experience before trying to tackle the 15/30. Although it seems like we have some posters here who moved up fairly quickly.

SkiGuyGT
01-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Well I have 25k hands in my PT databasse, although mostly that is 2/4. I've played at B&M a fair amount too. I think the opponents are usually easier to beat at B&M but my game is a little better online, so its about a wash.

Brian, I think you have a real good point about my 22 post. Small pocket pairs and suited connectors, Ax, etc. are the hands I've been having the most trouble with. When I started playing I followed SSH advice which was be the first caller from an UTG raise with 22. So thats an area I have to keep working on.

I guess I'm interested in how different 15/30 is from 5/10. I've heard people say theres still plenty of bad fish at the upper levels.

Well any other advice is welcome. I'm going to reread the advanced hole em sylanski book. That was the first book I looked at when I learned poker so I should get alot more out of it now.

Brian462
01-31-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
advanced hole em sylanski book

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually laughed out loud when I read that...

adamstewart
01-31-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was doing good at 2/4 and thought I'd give 5/10 a shot. Well so far it seems just about as easy as 2/4. I had a steady 2-3BB/hr winrate at .5/10-2/4, and I've been able to stay at ~2BB at 5/10.

I've only been playing poker for maybe 7 months but it seems like I could almost make a living out of it if I wanted.

For you guys who play 15/30, is the jump from 5/10 or so easier then you anticipated? I mean if I could win 2BB/hr at that level thats 120k a year!

I plan on staying at 5/10 till I build up a bankroll, while taking money out, so it may take awhile till I can move up again. But I'd love to see just how far I can go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save this post (oh, and the one below where you say you have a 25k hand sample size "mostly at 2/4").

Please, please, please follow up with us after another 25k hands at 5/10 while you 'build your bankroll' and let us know how big it is....

Adam

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Stay at 5/10 and keep a job. Party is fixing the 15/30 game to screw the professionals, at least this month they are.

pudley4
01-31-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stay at 5/10 and keep a job. Party is fixing the 15/30 game to screw the professionals, at least this month they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're also fixing the 5/10 (both full and 6-max)

krishanleong
01-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Can either of you clarify?

Krishan

krishanleong
01-31-2005, 12:26 PM
You should stay at 2/4. You don't have a large enough sample size, you probably are not as good as you think you are. How many tables do you play at a time? I think you will probably hit a downswing sometime and hopefully it won't obliterate your roll. If 2/4 isn't challenging enough, play more tables.

Krishan

pudley4
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can either of you clarify?

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1631366&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=8#Post1642115)

Plus I'm down 170 BB this month in about 20k hands at 5/10.

MaxPower
01-31-2005, 12:46 PM
You are in for a rude awakening. You haven't played nearly enough hands to estimate your win rate and my guess is that you haven't run badly yet.

Despite what you might hear, the 15/30 game is a lot tougher than the 2/4 and 3/6 games.

For me moving up was very difficult and I've been playing poker for 7 years. I've managed to remain a winner after 55K hands, but my win rate is not huge. I'm still not sure how succesfull I will be and I may end-up playing a lower limit if things go badly.

SkiGuyGT
02-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Well you guys might be right. Maybe I just hit some good cards right away at 5/10 and got over confident. I really have a desire to become the best player I can be, and there are times I just shock myself with how good I've done since I started learning poker 7 months ago.

I don't like the idea of multitabling personally. I've tried it but to me it feels like obsessive compuslive gambling. I really like focusing in on one table and thinking about everything my opponents are doing. To become a great player I feel like I need to devote all my attention to one hand and extract the most from it, not play 4 hands at a time half assed. I just feel like in the long run I will make more if I can try to keep moving up in limits playing my A game one game at a time.

I've definetly had down swings like everyone else. Times where you get AA KK QQ, trips and st8s repeatidly busted and it just feels like you can't win a hand. If I ever get frusturated playing I just walk away. It should always be fun to play or else I'm not going to be winning like I can, I won't be in "the zone".

Well I'll post again in 25k hands letting you know how 5/10 is going. I plan to play more B&M too, as I've made just as much there as online. I'd love any criticism people have it helps me work on my game.

...and IndieMatty your Tecmo Avatar RoXorZ

Pawtucket Pat
02-01-2005, 10:56 AM
"Small pocket pairs and suited connectors, Ax, etc. are the hands I've been having the most trouble with"

You're having trouble with these and you're playing 5/10? And want to go to 15/30? I would highly recommend staying at 2/4 and 3/6 until you work that out. It also doesnt sound like you're bankrolled for 5/10. If not, a big downswing (which sounds like it hasn't happened yet) will force you back down anyway.

Forget about the money and concentrate on making the right decisions. Your quad post strongly suggests that your thought process is flawed. If you focus on making the right play every single time, the money will come on its own.

krishanleong
02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
I just wanted to say, you've taken the criticism with remarkable maturity. Most people who post don't react nearly so well. I look forward to your 25K stats.

Krishan

pshabi
02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
They're fixing 3/6 too. In my favor. I won 100BB in under 6 hours yesterday.