PDA

View Full Version : Go....Stop...Go...

Shang Chou
01-31-2005, 06:43 AM
Comments on my play? My initial bet on the flop was that I wanted to pick up the pot with a semibluff. The call sorta slowed me down but when I hit on the turn, I figured another bet would either a. cause the other guy to fold or b. get my ass raised because he had the 9 as well or the slight chance he has a higher straight.

On the river, I didnt want it to get checked through so I bet my one card straight "for value" and tried to get paid off if he had a J or trips and woulda called a raise.

What do you guys think?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 6.16 BB

Brian
01-31-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a. cause the other guy to fold or b. get my ass raised because he had the 9 as well or the slight chance he has a higher straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt a bet would cause any opponent with a pair to fold on the Turn. And you shouldn't be fearing a split pot or better straight before even a single bet has gone in on the Turn. Don't let this guy check it through with a random King or low pair that would have called if you bet.

As for the semi-bluff on the Flop, meh... I don't mind it much, but I think that you will be getting called way too often with this highly conneted Flop and the pot is far too small for a semi-bluff to show long-term value, even though you will sometimes win when called. The problem is that you have no outs other than your 1 card straight draw, and you will often get raised.

You were planning on checking and folding a brick on the Turn if your opponent called the Flop, right?

-Brian

Shang Chou
01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
So what are you saying Brian?

Check, call the flop and then fold the turn unimproved? Or just give up on the flop if the oppenent bets?

I think the only other option for me would have been to go for a check raise on that flop and then bet the turn whether or not I improved. I dunno. Too loose/aggro? What do you guys think.

Brian
01-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I see nothing wrong with checking and folding the Flop. You have no outs other than your 1 card straight draw, the pot is tiny, and sometimes you won't win when you hit.

-Brian

mack848
01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see nothing wrong with checking and folding the Flop. You have no outs other than your 1 card straight draw, the pot is tiny, and sometimes you won't win when you hit.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

If Hero thinks that this guy will fold to the flop bet even 20% of the time, I think it is a good semi-bluff bet.

20% of the time he folds and Hero wins 2.33SB
13% of the time he calls and Hero hits the straight
67% of the time he calls/raises and Hero loses 1SB.

Hero will win the vast majority of the occassions he hits the straight and will often pick up an extra BB or two.

Mack