PDA

View Full Version : Hand from the Empire $200k Guaranteed - What would you do?

webiggy
01-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Here's a hand that I've been puzzling over. How would you play this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t885)
SB (t1205)
Hero (t1567)
UTG (t2513)
UTG+1 (t730)
UTG+2 (t675)
MP1 (t890)
MP2 :#A500AF(Villian)/ (t990)
MP3 (t605)
CO (t1325)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 :#A500AF(Villian)/ raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t225) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to t500</font>..,

Well, give me some thoughts..,

bmxreed36
01-31-2005, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I hate this situation too and it's why i just hate QJ--i can never feel comfortable with it when i flop top pair (not that you should have folded before the flop).
Also, I'm always confused by these guys who raise the minimum on their starting cards, especially the times when there were limpers before them. What are they trying to accomplish? I guess I usually end up seeing one of two things: either they're doing it with a hand that they want to play for a raise but they don't want to invest too much in it yet (66, KQ, etc) or they have a big hand like AA, KK and really want some action.
For this situation, I think a lot depends on what you've seen from that player. Has he done this before and then folded to a reraise or showed down a weak hand? Or has he been playin solid poker? Hands that he could have that you're in trouble with include AA, KK, AQ, KQ, 88, 55 or maybe AK of diamonds. Q-10 is unlikely (unless he's been loose-aggressive) and he could possibly have JJ, 10-10 and be figurin out where he's at. But I think this is unlikely these are not hands they people min-raise before the flop--they need to be protected more. You said to him on the flop that the flop was good for you and he then bet more than the pot and over half his stack. Looks like he's either protecting against a flush or he believes that you have top pair and may pay him off. You have a decent amount of chips left (compared to the rest of the table) if you fold, and I think that's what I would do unless I had a read on this guy from previous hands. Do that sounds too weak-tight? Maybe it's because I just woke up.
So, how'd it turn out?

webiggy
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Bump

Anybody else?

marrek
01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Fold.

Your chips are too precious to continue in this hand. There is alot of tournament left and you can afford to wait for better spots.

Marrek

schwza
01-31-2005, 05:30 PM
fold pre-flop then fold on the flop. the fold on the flop is a) closer than the fold pre-flop and b) the reason you should fold pre-flop.