PDA

View Full Version : KQo top pair on monotone flop

roy_miami
01-31-2005, 04:51 AM
Hi all,

15/30 10 handed

I hate playing decent hands on monotone flops, actually I just hate monotone flops in general

CO (poster) in this hand seems pretty decent if I remember correctly

Button is LAG who likes to slowplay

Hero is UTG with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop: Hero limps, UTG2 limps, folded to CO (poster) who checks, button limps, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: KJ2 all hearts

BB checks, I check, UTG checks, CO bets, button calls BB folds, I call, UTG folds

Turn: 7 clubs

I check, CO bets, button calls, I checkraise, CO 3-bets, button folds, I fold

How did I do on this one? Is this standard for this situation?

preflop sometimes I'll raise with KQo here, but the table was playing loose and there were 2 or 3 players that would call 2 with any Ace so I think a limp was warranted

All comments appreciated.

Levi King
01-31-2005, 05:41 AM
Raise or fold KQo UTG full table. I prefer to fold. I would have check raised the flop and see what develops.

etizzle
01-31-2005, 05:43 AM
please dont start this debate again.

as to the hand, i like it a lot.

TStoneMBD
01-31-2005, 02:55 PM
i dont want to unleash the debate again, but i think limping here is correct. raising may be better with a poster in the hand but i am unsure, id like it if someone could elaborate on this.

as far as the flop goes, you should be betting or checkraising. there is no reason to slowplay on a monotone board. i know you wanted to charge extra for draws by checkraising the turn, but you are out of position and need the CO to bet for you. pound the flop.

SA125
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is UTG with K Q

Preflop: Hero limps, UTG2 limps, folded to CO (poster) who checks, button limps, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: KJ2 all hearts

BB checks, I check, UTG checks, CO bets, button calls BB folds, I call, UTG folds

Turn: 7 clubs

I check, CO bets, button calls, I checkraise, CO 3-bets, button folds, I fold

[/ QUOTE ]

With TPGK 3 way on that board, I think just calling and closing the action on the turn and check/calling the river is a better play than raising/folding the turn.

roy_miami
01-31-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as far as the flop goes, you should be betting or checkraising. there is no reason to slowplay on a monotone board. i know you wanted to charge extra for draws by checkraising the turn, but you are out of position and need the CO to bet for you. pound the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking was my pot equity goes up big time by waiting to see if another heart comes on the turn. If the heart comes, I can safely fold. If no heart comes, there is a fair chance I have the best hand and I can charge them double to draw, so long as it doesn't get checked through. Also, I played the hand like I had the flush, so even if I am behind to trips or 2 pair or something my checkraise should slow them down, maybe they even fold a better hand. Getting 3-bet sucked on the turn, but I'm pretty confident I was drawing slim to dead.

roy_miami
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise or fold KQo UTG full table. I prefer to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never in my life folded KQ preflop for 1 bet. This is the first I have heard anybody advocating it. IMO thats a little too tight.

elysium
01-31-2005, 06:19 PM
hi roy

no. KQ is no good from that position. it's not a good starting hand, roy, particularly there. you simply don't have enough info to get the bet in when you have the best of it, and to save the bet when you don't. that hand is dead on the pre-flop and never should have been played. you have to know that roy.