PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Point Of Philosophy

theBruiser500
01-31-2005, 01:39 AM
A part of me likes philosophy a lot, but another part of me thinks it's useless. Arguing over academic nonesense that will not help your life in any practical way. Obviously Clarkmeisters thread made me start this thread. Take his as an example, how does discussing that question show us anything about our lives or help in anyway?

ThaSaltCracka
01-31-2005, 01:41 AM
it doesn't, but part of us always wonders what if and really that is what philosophy is about.

thirddan
01-31-2005, 01:43 AM
it seems to me that a lot of these questions are such that every person has an opinion and no amount of discussion will ever change a persons opinion...however listening to all the arguments is somewhat interesting for everyone...

similar to the question of abortion and capital punishment, most people have an opinion for whatever reason and no amount of logic or reasoning will change that persons opinion, but the debates are usually interesting...

AngryCola
01-31-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A part of me likes philosophy a lot, but another part of me thinks it's useless

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the best way to look at philosophy.

Tilting your opinion toward either 'extreme' isn't going to be the most productive way to deal with such thoughts.

theBruiser500
01-31-2005, 01:49 AM
Thirrdan I'm not saying "I don't understand why people feel the need to convince other people of a philosophy opinion," or anything like that. You say the arguments are interesting, and as I say they kind of are but I also think they're kind of pointless.

theBruiser500
01-31-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't, but part of us always wonders what if and really that is what philosophy is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, as I say I view this stuff as useless.

thirddan
[ QUOTE ]
I also think they're kind of pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was agreeing with you in a lot of words /images/graemlins/smile.gif
i said that no matter the argument nobody willl change their opinion so the debate is pointless (as a debate), but interesting...

slickpoppa
Read some Aristotle. He is all about helping your life in a practical way

ThaSaltCracka
01-31-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, as I say I view this stuff as useless.

[/ QUOTE ]me too, I was just pointing out why its around still.

AngryCola
01-31-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Read some Aristotle. He is all about helping your life in a practical way

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very true.

Aristotle = good

theBruiser500
01-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Okay I guess some philosohpy I like, Marcus Aurelius comes to mind. Everytime I see Silence of the Lambs, I wnat to be like Hannibal cause he's so cool, and one time I decided to read Meditations (I think that's the title of hte book). I like that because it's about how to think about life, and how to act in everyday matters. Same with some taoist philosophy I've read. Which seems to me, to be different than Clarkmeisters type of philosohpy.

BusterStacks
01-31-2005, 02:00 AM
Philosophy is for poor people who wonder why they are poor. Same with religion.

pc in NM
01-31-2005, 02:12 AM
The unexamined life is not worth living...

OTOH, Dubya seems to be doing OK....

nothumb
01-31-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What Is The Point Of Philosophy

[/ QUOTE ]

To keep the French loving, effete, Jew-hating liberal elite gainfully employed and indoctrinate the nation's youth. Duh!

That and to undermine family values. Here's a personal favorite of mine: "The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

NT

Zeno
01-31-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a personal favorite of mine: "The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

[/ QUOTE ]

Bertrand Russell? I am fairly certain it is.

-Zeno

Zeno
01-31-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What Is The Point Of Philosophy

[/ QUOTE ]

To think.

-Zeno

jimdmcevoy
01-31-2005, 03:08 AM
Hey Bruiser, what the hell makes anything usefull? Simply to ensure ones survival?

Ha! you need philosphy to answer...

nothumb
01-31-2005, 03:11 AM
I actually haven't read much Russell, so if he said this, he copped it from my guy.

NT

thatpfunk
01-31-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a personal favorite of mine: "The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertrand Russell? I am fairly certain it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nietzsche

Zeno
01-31-2005, 03:24 AM
This may help Philosophy (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/2528/br_ph4laymen.htm)

-Zeno

nothumb
01-31-2005, 03:27 AM
Ding ding ding.

NT

Zeno
01-31-2005, 03:30 AM
Thanks.

That fits. I read that quote recently and was hazy on the author.

-Zeno

fnord_too
01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A part of me likes philosophy a lot, but another part of me thinks it's useless. Arguing over academic nonesense that will not help your life in any practical way. Obviously Clarkmeisters thread made me start this thread. Take his as an example, how does discussing that question show us anything about our lives or help in anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read this thread yet, but the irony of the title is just perfect!

fnord_too
01-31-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are really looking at a subset of philosophy here. A lot of philosophy is similar to mathematics, where you start with axioms or theories and begin to derive implications. On my ten mile long to read list is a bunch of Hagel (amongst others). Arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or whether you would take a year off to enjoy pure bliss though you would never remember it, is not what I would really call philosophy. (In some regards, the latter reveals pieces of your personal philosophy.)

The point of philosophy is to attack complex problems with rigor to gain better understanding.

Life philosophies and religion are often very internally inconsistent, and I can certainly see where you may grow disenchanted with either. Personally, I think it is worth something to develop a personal, internally consistent philosophy of life (though I don't really think that term conveys what I am trying to say.) I don't think debating contrived questions is anywhere near the optimal method for developing this system, though.

jakethebake
01-31-2005, 12:01 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050128/capt.ah20101280551.cow_pie_conflagration_ah201.jpg