PDA

View Full Version : A friend's hand (how is my analysis?)

donger
01-31-2005, 12:11 AM
The hand:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
4 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, CO calls, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 players)
SB bets, BB folds, Hero calls, CO raises, SB calls, Hero calls.

Do you think it was a mistake to call that raise? I think my biggest mistake was not raising this myself, but I am always scared on a paired board. So raise or fold I guess here.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB calls, Hero folds.

Since I did call that raise, was it a mistake to bail out here? Assuming I am NOT up against trips I could still be beat by aces or a king with a bigger kicker, neither of which are likely.

I played this hand like a friggin' idiot! GOSH!

River: (7 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)
SB checks, CO bets, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

---

My reply:

I would say you played this OK for not having raised on the flop. Like you said, that was your mistake. You probably would have been 3 bet on the flop and could easily check fold the turn.

The other thing at work here is the fact that the board has two spades. If the CO checks behind on the turn, (consistent with raising for a free card), you would probably have to check-call the river.

------

What do you guys think?

shant
01-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Tell your friend to fold preflop.

donger
01-31-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was so hung up on postflo play, I forgot he open limped from MP with this cheese.

DMBFan23
01-31-2005, 12:22 AM
he can play it after limpers in this spot IMO (I do) or he can open raise it from CO or button, but only if he's gonna raise top pair on the flop when someone may be betting a flush draw, a smaller PP, or an Ace. IMO, calling the flop raise and check folding the turn is bad, since the flop raise might mean weaker K or free card play.

donger
01-31-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he can play it after limpers in this spot IMO (I do) or he can open raise it from CO or button, but only if he's gonna raise top pair on the flop when someone may be betting a flush draw, a smaller PP, or an Ace. IMO, calling the flop raise and check folding the turn is bad, since the flop raise might mean weaker K or free card play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the button checked behind on the turn, what would you do on the river? (assuming more passivity from SB)

Stork
01-31-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was so hung up on postflo play, I forgot he open limped from MP with this cheese.

[/ QUOTE ]

This limp is fine. Flop I would either raise or fold, depending on whether the SB is passive or aggressive.

Kaz The Original
01-31-2005, 12:40 AM
Misplayed on every street he could.

DMBFan23
01-31-2005, 12:44 AM
well, if I raised the flop, and was only called, I'd bet the turn. if I was three bet, I'd be check folding the turn, and if it checks through I'm bet-calling on the river, or bet folding, depending on my read of CO.

JP2k1
01-31-2005, 12:46 AM
Limping with K9s is fine. Raising the flop would have definitely been right. And if you get 3-bet, that doesn't even mean you're behind at Party 1/2. You have top pair and the backdoor club draw which might bail you out if you're outkicked.

So I would have raised the flop and bet out the turn if I wasn't reraised. If I was, perhaps check and call the turn. Then once the river comes, I would bet either way; if you were behind to a better king, you just drew out on them, but you may have been ahead the whole way.

donger
01-31-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Misplayed on every street he could.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what's your turn play here?