PDA

View Full Version : How many of you don't own a cell phone.... and why not?

pshreck
01-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Just realized that there is only one person I know in my life (under 60, grandparents dont count) that doesn't own a cellphone. This is out of like 40 or so people I can think of off the top of my head.

His reason is he doesn't want to be that 'available' he thinks its unnatural and that cell phones are just a fad. I think hes crazy and that communication is only going to increase between people.

slickpoppa
01-30-2005, 11:29 PM
i had a friend who was like that but he caved about a month ago. i think everyone will eventually cave

Alobar
01-30-2005, 11:33 PM
I think a better question would be "how many people ONLY own a cell phone"

I suspect this number would be much higher than the number of people who dont own a cell phone (At least on these boards)

I dont own a "real" phone, I've had nothing but a cell for over 2 years now

dr. klopek
01-30-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't have a cell phone. I don't want one either. Sometimes, I'm just busy, or don't want to answer the phone.. The majority of cell phone use isn't for it's practical use anyway, people just always want to be on the phone.

The Dude
01-30-2005, 11:35 PM
I haven't had a landline in 5 years, since I moved out after high school.

Sweaburg
01-30-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't own a cell phone now (I'm 24) and won't buy one until they become cheaper than land lines. I don't really care about people being able to call me when I'm out.

A lot of cell phone users annoy me, but thats their fault, not the cellphones I guess.

RT

Sponger15SB
01-30-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had a landline in 5 years, since I moved out after high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, but I graduated 3 years ago.

I only even know of 1 house that has an actual house phone of my friends or people I know who live in IV, and I only know the cell numbers of people who live there.

jasonHoldEm
01-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't have one (although I've had one in the past). I really don't think they are as necessary as everyone thinks they are.

J

wacki
Let me count the reasons....

1) Free long distance

2) I'm always reachable

3) SBC Ameritech sucks (atleast in bloomington)

4) I move around a lot and I take my phone with me.

5) My number stays the same and everyone knows what it is.

I could go on...

4 years since I've had a landline.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]
I don't own a cell phone now (I'm 24) and won't buy one until they become cheaper than land lines. I don't really care about people being able to call me when I'm out.

A lot of cell phone users annoy me, but thats their fault, not the cellphones I guess.

RT

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Canada, but my cell phone is definetly cheaper monthly than if I were to buy only a land line. It is a ton more convenient, and has a lot more practical use than a land line. I can go to Canada to visit a friend, be at school all day (which is 25 miles away from my apartment), and still be contacted.

mmbt0ne
01-30-2005, 11:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I don't own a cell phone now (I'm 24) and won't buy one until they become cheaper than land lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are land lines up there? I haven't been able to get cheaper land line than cell phone since I went to college 3 yeras ago. The long distance that I've saved alone is probably in the thousands.

tek
01-30-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His reason is he doesn't want to be that 'available' he thinks its unnatural and that cell phones are just a fad. I think hes crazy and that communication is only going to increase between people.

[/ QUOTE ]

That used to be my reason. But I got tired of breaking bills for quarters for pay phones.

pshreck
01-30-2005, 11:43 PM
What I don't get about that reason is that you can turn your phone off or on silent whenever. I am often still unreachable... at some parties, in movies, in class,... tons of places. Some people seem to think they are permanently attached to others because of it. I really don't think its negatives are anywhere close to its positives.

Dynasty
01-30-2005, 11:47 PM
I've never owned a cellphone and doubt I ever will.

I have a landline and keep it disconected all the time. The only reason I have it is so that I can make outgoing calls.

zephed56
01-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Still don't own a cell phone. I don't see a need for it right now. I guess when I really need one I will get it. I don't want to buy one just because everyone else has one. And I don't not have one because everyone else does.

CCx
01-30-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont own a "real" phone, I've had nothing but a cell for over 2 years now

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

wacki
01-30-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a landline and keep it disconected all the time. The only reason I have it is so that I can make outgoing calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do your friends/family get in touch with you?

Sweaburg
01-31-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't own a cell phone now (I'm 24) and won't buy one until they become cheaper than land lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are land lines up there? I haven't been able to get cheaper land line than cell phone since I went to college 3 yeras ago. The long distance that I've saved alone is probably in the thousands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I currently pay about $50(CAD) for local+1000min long distance and call answer service.

You guys seriously get free long distance on your cells? Thats rad.

RT

Dynasty
01-31-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do your friends/family get in touch with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I reccomend e-mail.

pshreck
01-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Can you give further reasoning on it? Not to get personal, but do you generally not do many social things and ever need to be in touch with people on a more daily basis? I couldn't imagine how things would be if people couldn't get in touch when they needed to.

housenuts
01-31-2005, 12:12 AM
i own a cell phone but it's not activated anymore. i used it for about a year but don't really care for one. 2 reasons:

1) i don't really have the money for it right now. i live with 2 other people so a landline is like $8 a month each

2) i could really care less for one. if i want to get in touch with people i get in touch with them. if they want to get in touch with me, well too bad, i don't have a phone so you can't bug me. it's hard to ditch people when you have a cell phone cause they always ask why you didn't answer your phone.

JTG51
01-31-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a cell phone. I don't want one either. Sometimes, I'm just busy, or don't want to answer the phone.. The majority of cell phone use isn't for it's practical use anyway, people just always want to be on the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Owning a cell phone doesn't mean you have to answer it all the time.

Drac
01-31-2005, 12:16 AM
I don't have one and don't plan on getting one. My kids will probably get them before I do (6 and 2 years old). I don't see the point except to have them for emergency situations that happen while in your car. For as often as that happens it doesn't seem worth the money. If I was in a situation where I could dump my land line it might be worth it but that's not going to happen.

Dynasty
01-31-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you give further reasoning on it? Not to get personal, but do you generally not do many social things and ever need to be in touch with people on a more daily basis? I couldn't imagine how things would be if people couldn't get in touch when they needed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I could just make things "worse" instead. I don't own a car, don't have a driver's license, and have never even driven a car- EVER.

A couple days ago I was walking home from the supermarket. I passed by a woman who was talking on her cell phone and it seemed obvious that she was dealing with some annoying yet trivial problem (like trying to figure whether she or her roommate would pick up milk from the store and taking 10 minutes to deal with the "problem"). I never have to deal with that junk.

judgesmails
01-31-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't own one because I do not like talking on the phone and rarely answer my phone at home. Besides, I think it is extremely rude to interrupt anything you may be doing (having dinner, golfing, driving, talking) to take some unimportant call.

I am sure there may be a convenience factor and emergencies where they are usefull, but to me the nuisance does not outweigh those factors.

pshreck
01-31-2005, 12:23 AM
How old are you? It's certainly a different way to go through life, but seems interesting, and quite possibly much better than what the rest of us are doing /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

JTG51
01-31-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple days ago I was walking home from the supermarket. I passed by a woman who was talking on her cell phone and it seemed obvious that she was dealing with some annoying yet trivial problem (like trying to figure whether she or her roommate would pick up milk from the store and taking 10 minutes to deal with the "problem"). I never have to deal with that junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

That junk has more to do with the person than with the technology.

I have a cell phone, but never have to deal with that stuff either because I don't take 10 minutes to decide who should get the milk. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mmbt0ne
01-31-2005, 12:28 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I currently pay about $50(CAD) for local+1000min long distance and call answer service.

You guys seriously get free long distance on your cells? Thats rad.

RT

[/ QUOTE ]

I pay about the same on my cell, but instead of long distance minutes, I have a set number of anytime minutes, all the night/weekends I want, and no long distance/roaming.

Every cell phone provider I know of here has free long distance/roaming as an option on their plans. It's awesome since people at school with me come from all over the country, so they have all sorts of area codes.

Dynasty
01-31-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How old are you? It's certainly a different way to go through life, but seems interesting, and quite possibly much better than what the rest of us are doing /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

pshreck
01-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Wow. Are you extremely curious about driving? Isn't it tough going throughout this life without this ability?

captZEEbo1
01-31-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm 21 and I don't have one. I can't really imagine using it enough to get the money for it.

tolbiny
01-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm 25 and i had a cell for 2.5 years. Was necessary as i traveled for work and needed to be available when i was on site (and also had to call those who knew more than me to take me step by step through repairs more than once). It was very usefull.
Actually the best way to get hold of me somedays is to PM me here /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I lost that job in November, and along with it went the cell phone. for two weeks i didn't have a land line either. It took a little getting uesd to, but i don't want one anymore at all. I don't even want a land line- and i barely check my email.
I can be hard to get hold of.

Ed I
01-31-2005, 01:39 AM
I don't own a cell phone and don't plan on getting one.Even at home I seldom answere the phone. It drives my kids nuts that I can just let the phone ring with no intention of answering it.

pubz r 4 nubz!
01-31-2005, 01:45 AM
https://webspace.utexas.edu/shuak/pics/pwned.jpg

nothumb
01-31-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't own a cell phone. Service up here in the Berkshires sucks but it's getting better. I don't have the money to afford one right now and I don't want my current job calling when I'm not home. I live in a small town so it's never hard to find people and make plans.

Also, I seriously don't trust the little microwave things or whatever. I bet you all will get tumors.

And I hate how everyone just has the damn things stuck in their ears all the time. Kids at my job treat it like it's their lifeline, even though they are technically contraband. It's a status symbol and a way to ignore people and flaunt your power and they just suck.

When I pick kids up from school you watch everybody walk out the door after class, and I would say 75% are immediately pulling out their phones and sticking them to their ears, mostly just to look like everyone else I think. It makes me sick.

NT

Randy_Refeld
01-31-2005, 04:01 AM
I used to not have a land line. Then I had a problem with the cable company and burned all my day minutes getting transferred back and forth between 2 departments blaming each other for my problems. After that I got a lnad line with no extras.

RR

DBowling
01-31-2005, 04:17 AM
I dont own a home phone, only a cell. Both of my grandmothers do too(for the old people). And most of my sisters highschool friends do (for the young people). Im trying to think of someone who doesnt own one, and nobody comes to mind.

If i dont want to be "available" i leave my phone at home/in my car. In fact, id say i leave my phone in my car about 90% of the time i go anywhere. Theres really nobody who needs to get a hold of me that urgently, and if there might be, those are the times i keep my cell on me.
Like someone said ealier in the thread, if someone calls, it doesnt mean you have to pick it up

bernie
01-31-2005, 05:35 AM
I don't own one. I can't stand them. Though I have found them useful at times. I'd just rather not have one.

Besides, most of my conversations with buds who do have them end up like

tzzT!!!

bzrph.

Mm ph rr phrrr?

________________________!click!

b

smudgex68
01-31-2005, 05:48 AM
I don't own a cellphone, but the company I work for own many and they give me one for free. Sweet

AncientPC
01-31-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me count the reasons....

1) Free long distance

2) I'm always reachable

3) SBC Ameritech sucks (atleast in bloomington)

4) I move around a lot and I take my phone with me.

5) My number stays the same and everyone knows what it is.

I could go on...

4 years since I've had a landline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for #2 all the above are available on broadband phones. In fact, my home phone auto-forwards to my cell phone so I prefer to give that number out instead.

I'm paying something stupid like $50 / month with Sprint PCS and I don't even use the phone that much. I miss the days when they had $30 / month plans.

dr. klopek
01-31-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I could just make things "worse" instead. I don't own a car, don't have a driver's license, and have never even driven a car- EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah man, no cell, no license, no T.V. That's where it's at.

Cell phones are 98% unnecessary. They just have everyone convinced that absolutely anything is worth a phone call.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 07:36 AM
I don't own one. I feel a little wierd but I am not a conformist and I am not going to get one just "because" everyone else has one.

I don't have a problem communicating with the people I need to without one, there are times when it would come in handy. The reason I won't get one is the cell phone companies. I don't like the way they operate. THey treat their customers like crap, lock them in with long-term contracts and then rape them with charges and fees once they are stuck.

They can bite me.

Toro
01-31-2005, 10:32 AM
I have one but I refuse to carry it around because I think they are more trouble than they are worth. I keep it in the car for emergencies and my own convenience.

NoChance
01-31-2005, 10:42 AM
I just ordered one on the 26th and it should be delivered today. As soon as i get it activated, I will be disconnecting my landline.

I do a ton of installs from home that sometimes take up to about 8 hours. For that, I may also get a Vonage internet service line so I can use my home "office phone" which has mute and speaker phone. I just don't want to have to hold a phone to my ear for 8 hours. If I get basic service it should cost only about $14.99 per month. I would use my cell for everything else.

GuyOnTilt
01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I can't believe how many people in this thread are saying that cell phones are not particularly useful. I guess it depends a lot of how you live your day to day life, but not having a cell phone for me is just not an option. I've lost it for a few days a couple times and it just completely sucks. Nobody can get ahold of you. You have no way to communicate or get in touch with people when you're in transit, such as making plans or notification of changes in plans or what not. The ability not be able to be reached when outside your home just...sucks. I only know a couple people who don't have cell phones, but it's a pain to anybody whose friends with them even. It just makes life harder on them and anybody who wants to get in touch or hang out with them. You have to wait up at restaurants or meeting places when they're not there yet or whatever 'cause you can't call and tell them of changes in plans and it's hard to meet up with them halfway into the night or whatever when a bunch of you have already been together for a while, since they don't know where you're going to be when. I guess I'm a kid and so I do social stuff like this a lot more than your average 35 year old, but for my lifestyle not having a cell phone is just not an option. It's an absolute must have.

Hopefully you guys who don't use/like them are not enstillling the same values in your children if you have them. As soon as kids start going out on their own with friends they should have a cell. All of the stuff I listed above is a big part, but also the safety of the parentss always being able to get in touch with their kid and visa versa. I really encouraged my folks to have my little sis get her own cell when she was about 15 and started going out with friends, working, and whatever else would have her out of the house away from them. If something urgent comes up or there's an emergency, how else are they going to get in touch? It adds convenience, it adds safety. I just don't get how some people would refuse to own one.

GoT

elwoodblues
01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Don't have one. Don't want one. Hate talking to people on the phone.

Sporky
01-31-2005, 11:03 AM
some people see it as more of a burden than a convenience. i fall into this category. if i want to be reached, i make myself available. i hate the phone. i don't even answer the phone in my apartment most of the time. i just let it ring. if people could interrupt/bug me anywhere at anytime i'd kill myself. yes, you don't have to answer the phone everytime it rings. however, it seems that people with cell phones default to the "just call my cell" instead of actively trying to get in touch with someone. countless times i've been given the "just call my cell" line and i get voicemail/no answer. some people just like things differently. i like less phone in my life...you don't.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 11:08 AM
I am a little older (42) and I grew up before cell phones existed. Somehow I survived without one and I really can manage to make plans and keep appointments and communicate with my friends and family without one. I imagine one's attitude towards cell phones is influenced by whether you were socialized with or without one. My generation learned to communicate without them.

I have a phone at home and I have a phone at work. So I am available whenever I am at home or at work. Isn't this enough?

wacki
01-31-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have no way to communicate or get in touch with people when you're in transit, such as making plans or notification of changes in plans or what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget directions. I can't tell you how many times I've used the cell in transit to ask "Ok, where do I turn now".

WDC
01-31-2005, 11:34 AM
I own one. It is off about 90% of the time. Less than ten people know my cell phone number; just my immediate family and my office. It's on only when i want to call someone and when I am out at the card club or something Otherwise it is off.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 11:46 AM
They have these amazing books with pictures of roads in them.....

GuyOnTilt
01-31-2005, 12:02 PM

They have these amazing animals called horses too, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't use cars. Calling someone and having them walk you thru it in real time turn by turn is just so much easier than having to stop and pull out a Thomas Guide (though I do think every car should have one). The fact that people got along fine before their invention isn't an arguement that they aren't useful or life bettering.

GoT

NotMitch
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Same # since 95, would be lost without my phone.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They have these amazing animals called horses too, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't use cars. Calling someone and having them walk you thru it in real time turn by turn is just so much easier than having to stop and pull out a Thomas Guide (though I do think every car should have one). The fact that people got along fine before their invention isn't an arguement that they aren't useful or life bettering.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read my posts I actually said the opposite, that a cell phone can be useful. So get your story straight and dont put words into my mouth. You are arguing with yourself.

If you think that asking for directions is easier than using a map thats great. I'd rather not bother anybody and figure things out for myself.

Toro
01-31-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather not bother anybody and figure things out for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on bro, real men don't ask directions. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
01-31-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

real men also show up late to things, and miss out on chances to get laid because they pissed off the hot chick before their first date even got started.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

real men also show up late to things, and miss out on chances to get laid because they pissed off the hot chick before their first date even got started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah not being able to find your way out of a paper bag without calling for help makes a great impression on hot chicks.

Freakin
01-31-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe how many people in this thread are saying that cell phones are not particularly useful. I guess it depends a lot of how you live your day to day life, but not having a cell phone for me is just not an option. I've lost it for a few days a couple times and it just completely sucks. Nobody can get ahold of you. You have no way to communicate or get in touch with people when you're in transit, such as making plans or notification of changes in plans or what not. The ability not be able to be reached when outside your home just...sucks. I only know a couple people who don't have cell phones, but it's a pain to anybody whose friends with them even. It just makes life harder on them and anybody who wants to get in touch or hang out with them. You have to wait up at restaurants or meeting places when they're not there yet or whatever 'cause you can't call and tell them of changes in plans and it's hard to meet up with them halfway into the night or whatever when a bunch of you have already been together for a while, since they don't know where you're going to be when. I guess I'm a kid and so I do social stuff like this a lot more than your average 35 year old, but for my lifestyle not having a cell phone is just not an option. It's an absolute must have.

Hopefully you guys who don't use/like them are not enstillling the same values in your children if you have them. As soon as kids start going out on their own with friends they should have a cell. All of the stuff I listed above is a big part, but also the safety of the parentss always being able to get in touch with their kid and visa versa. I really encouraged my folks to have my little sis get her own cell when she was about 15 and started going out with friends, working, and whatever else would have her out of the house away from them. If something urgent comes up or there's an emergency, how else are they going to get in touch? It adds convenience, it adds safety. I just don't get how some people would refuse to own one.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
01-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Switch phone co's. My cell is 29.99 a month plus all the silly fees that make it 35 or so by the time i pay the bill.

bernie
01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm a kid and so I do social stuff like this a lot more than your average 35 year old,

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people 35+ were very social when they were kids and they did it w/o cell phones.

A few things that bother me about them is the idiots that let them ring in movies, schools (when i was at night school in the middle of a lecture) and best of all...funerals. I always want to go and rip the thing away from the idiot and spike it on the floor. Not to mention the morons driving 15 mph under the limit on the freeway because they're in a deep conversation in their own little world on their phone.

That said, I do agree with most of what you wrote. They do make life a bit easier. My friends and family know how to get ahold of me fairly easy. But, then again, Im not really on the go that much.

b

InchoateHand
01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
I haven't owned a cellphone for five years now, and I will never replace it.

bernie
01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't tell you how many times I've used the cell in transit to ask "Ok, where do I turn now".

[/ QUOTE ]

How many cars were you holding up behind you when you were doing this? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

b

bernie
01-31-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that people got along fine before their invention isn't an arguement that they aren't useful or life bettering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they're arguing this. I think they're arguing them being mandatory to function in today's world. They're not.

b

bernie
01-31-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and miss out on chances to get laid because they pissed off the hot chick before their first date even got started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another bus is always jsut around the corner. Besides, it's not like a hot chick is never late.

b

wacki
01-31-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah not being able to find your way out of a paper bag without calling for help makes a great impression on hot chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not letting a woman help you with anything also makes a great impression on hot chicks. I don't know what planet you live on, but I've never heard of a hot chick dumping a guy because he asked for directions.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not letting a woman help you with anything also makes a great impression on hot chicks. I don't know what planet you live on, but I've never heard of a hot chick dumping a guy because he asked for directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I never pissed off a hot chick because I couldnt find her house because I didn't have a cell phone. I live on a planet where women are impressed by men who are capable and can "take care" of them. If you don't think that's important you have little understanding of the real world.

chabibi
01-31-2005, 10:09 PM
its amazing that this was posted today, i have been refusing to get a cell phone for many years and today i was just pondering caving in and getting one. i totally agree with your friend and this thread has given me a new reason to continue my boycot of cell phones

wacki
01-31-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live on a planet where women are impressed by men who are capable and can "take care" of them. If you don't think that's important you have little understanding of the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

*rolls eyes* Dude, it's just directions, don't be so anal. Asking for directions doesn't mean you can't put food on the table, win a bar fight, or handle a shotgun. It's not that big of a deal.

Bluffoon
01-31-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I live on a planet where women are impressed by men who are capable and can "take care" of them. If you don't think that's important you have little understanding of the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

*rolls eyes* Dude, it's just directions, don't be so anal. Asking for directions doesn't mean you can't put food on the table, win a bar fight, or handle a shotgun. It's not that big of a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know..... this has gone on a riduculous tangent. The implication that you can't find your way around or that your sex life will suffer unless you have a cell phone is absurd.

The original point was that while cell phones can be useful they are not essential for survival and that it is possible to be a well-adjusted fully functioning asset to society without one.

Transference
02-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I despise cellphones

1) Ringtones (SHUDDER)
2) Buttons far to damn small for my fingers
3) I don't want to hear your damn conversation with your girlfreind about how your cat just did the cutest thing today while I'm on my ciggarette break.
4) After countless death threats my students still failed to keep the damn things off in class!
5) My buddies wife and him both have one, Id feel sorry for the poor bastard if his wife calling every 5 minutes didnt irritate me so much.
6) When someone behind me says hello and I reply to find they are talking on their phone
7) Camera phones, as if there wernt enough pointless pictures being taken every 2 minutes already
8) LEARNED HELPLESSNESS

dsm
02-01-2005, 01:52 AM
I don't own one...

and wasn't ever planning on getting one. But last weekend I drove up to Santa Barbara (about a two hour drive) to visit someone. It was fairly late, and the second I hit the 101 On-Ramp to drive back home--the "Check Engine" light came on, "Oh F___ing Great." Luckily it just turned out to be an oxygen sensor, but most of the way back I was having to keep track of the call boxes on the freeway in case it conked out. Now I'm looking into getting one just to store in the glove box in case of an emergency.

-dsm

BOTW
02-01-2005, 03:13 AM
I don't own one because I don't need to be available and if I really need one I can borrow one.

[ QUOTE ]
6) When someone behind me says hello and I reply to find they are talking on their phone

[/ QUOTE ]
How about when you walk into a restroom and someone gives a very familiar "Sup Bro!" Do I know this guy? Does he just hang out in restrooms meeting people? Is it polite to shake a man's hand while he is taking a leak? About the time you mutter a "Hey" you realize he's on the phone and thinking the same [censored] about you.

The worst offenders are the people with the headsets. Looking around while they are talking. [censored] them.