PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on Approaching the Bubble

HoldingFolding
01-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Not much content here, maybe it should go in the pyschology section.

The past two weeks I have managed to qualify through MTTs for the Friday 200+15 and both times get into the money (42nd & 69th). On both occasions I found the approach to the bubble fascinating, in that I knew what I needed to do, but couldn't do it.

This week with about 100 left and 70 getting paid, I probably had a median sized stack (having just had my kings cracked by 66). After which I simply limped into the money, folding AK in mid position twice.

I think this reflects on two things:
1. The fact that it's taken me 8 hours to get this far (including 4 hours in the MTT satellite)
2. Even with a low placing, the payout ($400+) is such a high multiple compared to my buy in ($10).

I watched with awe as a guy with a similar sized stack stole his way up to being table chip leader. Right near the bubble he'd deliberately call 3BB raises from medium stacks. Then just go all in on the flop - he had to have had rags or marginal hands at the very best but they just couldn't call.

Anyway, my point, if there is one, is that I think I need to work my bank roll up to a point where I can afford to buy in directly. That way I don't feel like I've spent so much time on the tournament and getting into the money simply means I double my buy-in - no big deal - so I can be more aggressive approaching the bubble.