PDA

View Full Version : Pot odds vs. small stack

Michael C.
01-30-2005, 11:03 PM
I generally make pot odds calls when we get down to the bubble, but I'm wondering if that's always a good move. For example, small stack on the button has 700 and I have 2300, and he pushes vs. my 200 blind. So I'm getting 2-1 odds (500 more chips to win 1000). But if I'm, say, an 8-5 dog and lose, his stack is the same size as mine and I could easily get knocked out of the money. In this case would you definitely call or would you let him have it and pick a better spot?

Benholio
01-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I usually make the pot odds calls if a) the call represents a very small portion of my chips or b) I am getting a good overlay on the odds. Situations like you describe, 9:5 for > 20% of your stack, aren't quite good enough for me to call at that point.

ChrisV
01-31-2005, 12:43 AM
It depends on the exact situation. If the short stack is your main rival for the money (say stacks of 4100, 4100, 1200, 600) then you absolutely must make pot odds calls because losing chips and having him gain chips is very bad for your chances of making the money. You should actually sometimes make calls for which you don't quite have pot odds.

If the situation is more a short stack, a big stack and two smallish stacks (including you) then you should avoid calling with bad hands if it's going to cripple you. Best plan is to attack the other medium stack if possible.