PDA

View Full Version : Top Pair, No Kicker (Big Blind), How's my Play?

_Kevin_
01-30-2005, 09:05 PM
UTG is LA-P, SB is LA-A.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.
<font color="blue">
I didn't want to give a diamond a free card. Is betting out here reasonable (fold to a reraise?).
</font>
Turn: (3.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB folds.
<font color="blue">
I felt like checking was too weak. I would definetly fold to a reraise.
</font>
River: (5.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.
<font color="blue">
Is this a good value bet? If not, do a call a bet if I check?
</font>
Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Nick C
01-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Against three opponents, only two of which put money in outside the blinds, I think the flop bet is good. A raise won't necessarily mean you're up against a better hand (it could come from a flush draw or even a jack, for instance), but a raise will frequently mean a better king. If I was heads-up after the raise (especially if the raise came from an aggressive player), I'd consider calling and leading again on a non-diamond turn (with the plan of folding to a raise). Against a call and a raise or a raise and a cold-call on the flop, I'd probably just fold. And, actually, I don't think folding to a single raise that leaves you heads-up would be bad, especially if the raise came from your passive opponent or from the player to your immediate left (who would be raising with people still to act behind him). The pot is fairly small and would be still, even after the raise.

Anyway, though, you didn't get raised. The hands people could be calling with include gutshots, flush draws, pocket pairs, and even ace-rag hands. Also, of course, someone could be waiting to raise you on the turn.

I like the turn bet, and I think the plan of folding to a raise is sensible. Someone could be making a play (some Party players do like to bluff-raise paired boards) with a hand you're beating, and sometimes you'll have chop potential against a better king whose kicker may not play by the time the river card falls. But I think too often you're behind trip jacks, and even if the raise does just mean a better king, it's hard to know how much chop potential you have. (Plus, the pot is still smallish.) All the same, against a turn checkraise by the LAG small blind, I would be tempted to call down, and I would if I'd seen him doing a lot of bluffing.

The river is difficult, I think. (Actually, the whole hand is. TPNK hands out of position from the big blind aren't much fun to play.) If you've been getting called down by a weak king, your opponent's kicker most likely plays. Some worse hands may call: pocket pairs above 5's (and once every so often even below 5's) and hands that contain an ace. Most busted flush draws won't call, but if the read you gave for UTG is meant for UTG+1 and your remaining opponent is passive, then he probably won't bet a busted draw as a bluff. If you check, though, he will bet a jack and most likely a five (though there's a good chance he would have raised a jack on the turn). He might check behind with a king that beats yours (and that he won't fold), though, which is something to consider. Checking does give him the option of just betting his stronger hands, though.

I'd probably bet, like you did, with the plan of folding to a raise. But I'm not sure if that's better than check-calling (especially since there's a decent chance you won't have to call a bet from a hand that beats yours) and even check-folding (against a very passive opponent who is unlikely to bluff if checked to or to bet unless he has you beat). Whether or not you can bet for value here depends, I think, on just how loose your opponent is postflop. And the bet-fold line is risky against someone who might bluff-raise.

I struggle with hands like these too, so I'm curious what others will say.

Harv72b
01-30-2005, 11:34 PM
I like what you did in this hand right up til the river. As you noted, this is a draw-heavy board, so just because people are calling you it doesn't mean that you are outkicked.

On the river, though, you have to start thinking about what your lone opponent might have. If he was on a busted diamonds draw, he'll fold to your bet (unless he happened to have K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif). If he was on a busted straight draw, he'll also fold. He might call one more with medium pockets or even A high, but more likely he'll fold. He will certainly call you with a K.

I vastly prefer check/call on this river. If you're outkicked you lose either way, but this way you at least pick off a few bluff attempts by worse hands.

brettbrettr
01-30-2005, 11:43 PM
I vastly prefer check/call on this river. If you're outkicked you lose either way, but this way you at least pick off a few bluff attempts by worse hands

Agreed.

mtdoak
01-31-2005, 12:00 AM
Your fine. Chances are your kicker isn't going to play.

_Kevin_
01-31-2005, 08:29 AM
Villian showed T9s for the flush.