PDA

View Full Version : AQs vs. min raise

kschellenger
01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Mostly Party Poker, $25 or $50 NL
I've come across this several times today where I'm holding AQs (and being in position) and someone raises the minimum to me preflop. I never quite understood the purpose of these minimum bets and I have been reraising 3x their raise. This generally has gotten them to fold and I pick up the pot right there. On these notoriously loose tables, is reraising a minimum bet a +EV with AQs and position.

FUpaymee
01-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Lucky they're not min raising with AA or KK...I've seen a lot of dummies doing that.

tbach24
01-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I've never figured out what they will min-raise with. SO odd. Your move is fine.

snowmen
01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
I would like to answer but i can't , i have not got the knowledge needed to do it. We were discussing similars concepts on the thread "You are waiting a hand...". How would you play if your opponent raised with 66 and you miss the flop? that's complicated for me . good luck

TheWorstPlayer
01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Ignore min-raises except for the informational value, in my opinion. If you would have raised, re-raise. They are total garbage and could mean anything. If someone is min-raising AA or KK, make a note and avoid their min-raises unless you want to try to crack their big pocket pair (cheaply, thank you very much!)

FUpaymee
01-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Exactly...if someone min raises with AA or KK, then they deserve to get their hand busted by QJ if they hit their set and get beat by the straight.

fimbulwinter
01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
one stack-size dependant thing to consider is that often a minraise means "two broadways", the vast majority of which you'd like to play a pot with as you dominate them. while it may be slightly profitable to re-raise in hopes of winning right there or folding to a push, another line, depending on your read, would be to call and aim for their stack rather than a small piece of it. calling with position will intrinsically carry more variance, but against some players I feel it surely carries more profit as well.

fim