PDA

View Full Version : Best mainstream band of recent years

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
OK. We've had lots of threads about great little bands that most people haven't heard of.

But who's the best band to emerge in recent years that has enjoyed huge mainstream success?

My vote goes to Coldplay.

thirddan
01-30-2005, 08:20 PM
slipknot...

BusterStacks
01-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Evanescence

Michael Davis
01-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Rolling Stones.

-Michael

Phoenix1010
01-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Another vote for Coldplay.

pshreck
01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Coldplay has certainly made 2 or 3 of my favorite songs over the last 5 years, which is as good a reason to say they are the best as any.

I would say Outkast, though.

IndieMatty
01-30-2005, 08:25 PM
sarcasm?

Coldplay or Radiohead.

Clarkmeister
01-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Do us all a favor and pick a starting point. Recent is too arbitrary.

BusterStacks
01-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Nah I thought the CD was rad. BTW, I am in the "Radiohead blows" camp.

AngryCola
How recent?

I'll go with A Perfect Circle.

johnnybeef
[ QUOTE ]
OK. We've had lots of threads about great little bands that most people haven't heard of.

But who's the best band to emerge in recent years that has enjoyed huge mainstream success?

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd that

pshreck
01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How recent?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said mainstream. Not to say they aren't good, but they are far from maintstream.

johnnybeef
01-30-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How recent?

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never even heard of them

AngryCola
01-30-2005, 08:30 PM
A Perfect Circle is mainstream.

Unfortunately...

Check out their radio play/album sales/tour attendance.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Let's say bands that haven't had a hit prior to 2000.

For "mainstream" let's say bands that have had a Billboard Top 10 single or album.

AngryCola
01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am in the "Radiohead blows" camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked one of their albums, but hated the rest.

pshreck
01-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Don't know how to look those stats up, but Im willing to bet that 8 out of 10 Americans would have no idea who they were. They are not mainstream.

emonrad87
01-30-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How recent?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said mainstream. Not to say they aren't good, but they are far from maintstream.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. They are FAR from non-mainstream.

I vote for Rancid

AngryCola
01-30-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say bands that haven't had a hit prior to 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. that's different then.

I can't really think of one post-2000.

These kids and their fancy new rock 'n' roll music.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know how to look those stats up, but Im willing to bet that 8 out of 10 Americans would have no idea who they were. They are not mainstream.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also think they are very good, but I am talking Linkin Park, not Perfect Circle, when I am talking huge mainstream success.

thirddan
[ QUOTE ]
For "mainstream" let's say bands that have had a Billboard Top 10 single or album.

[/ QUOTE ]

so bands that suck?

i can't help myself, music that gets played on the radio is usually just crap...i still say slipknot, they may not be top 10 or whatever, but most people know who they are...

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]
They are not mainstream.

[/ QUOTE ]

By your definition, yes.

But not by mine. That's okay though.
People are allowed to disagree ya know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

El Diablo:
[ QUOTE ]
but I am talking Linkin Park, not Perfect Circle, when I am talking huge mainstream success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How recent?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. They are FAR from non-mainstream.

I vote for Rancid

[/ QUOTE ]

Rancid is far from mainstream. And I believe they were most-mainstream in '94/'95 w/ Salvation, Ruby Soho, etc.

Clarkmeister
01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Funny you should mention Linkin Park, I like them. I'm assuming Godsmack doesn't fit the post 2000 criteria? I think it's close with them. If they fit, I nominate them too. Coldplay is cool also.

pshreck
01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Like I said, Im not saying you are wrong in that they are good or that I'm trying to argue... but you would really have to stretch what your definition of mainstream is to call them that.

Just because a band has a large cult following does not mean they are mainstream.

By the way... since the rules are no hits before 2000, all of you Radiohead people have to change your vote, obviously.

Does anyone know when Ms. Jackson came out? If 1999 or earlier I guess I have to change my vote.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so bands that suck?

i can't help myself, music that gets played on the radio is usually just crap...i still say slipknot, they may not be top 10 or whatever, but most people know who they are...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this is the point of the whole question.

Which of these bands don't suck?

As for slipknot, most people definitely don't know who they are. They are far from a huge mainstream success.

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
i still say slipknot, they may not be top 10 or whatever, but most people know who they are...

Slipknot's been national for a long time. They're not new. Their drummer kicks ass though and their shows are insane.

The first names that came to mind were Sevendust, Blindside, Coldplay, and Bright Eyes. None of those are new, but they've just started to get mainstream attention in the last year or two. But none of them except Coldplay fall within the new rules, so.

PS. Whoever said Evanescence needs to go away. Their music sucks, but even worse I think I remember their lead guitarist left Living Sacrifice to start this new band, and anybody who leaves LS is dumb.

GoT

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny you should mention Linkin Park, I like them. I'm assuming Godsmack doesn't fit the post 2000 criteria? I think it's close with them. If they fit, I nominate them too. Coldplay is cool also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know when they started getting played on MTV and stuff, but I don't think Godsmack are well-known enough to qualify anyway.

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I agree. I also think they are very good, but I am talking Linkin Park, not Perfect Circle, when I am talking huge mainstream success.

APC is pretty mainstream dude. So is this question basically for poppy music only?

GoT

AngryCola
01-30-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which of these bands don't suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you got me.

It has to be Linkin Park.
I'm not a big fan of theirs, but they are more tolerable to me than most of the stuff being put out over the last 4 years.

Ulysses
[ QUOTE ]
The first names that came to mind were Sevendust, Blindside, Coldplay, and Bright Eyes. None of those are new, but they've just started to get mainstream attention in the last year or two. But none of them except Coldplay fall within the new rules, so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides coldplay, only sevendust is anywhere close to "huge mainstream success."

pshreck
The funny thing is, the original post clearly stated that people were making posts about largely unknown, good bands (AKA cult following bands) and that he wanted to know what the best MAINSTREAM band was.

Yet people are just repeating non mainstream bands.

I think almost the point of this is that we are gonna have to post bands that aren't that great, just to kind of show that mainstream ain't all it cracked up to be.

A general rule for posting a band is, at least having the assumption that 75% or so of us would recognize the name.

AngryCola
01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he funny thing is, the original post clearly stated that people were making posts about largely unknown, good bands (AKA cult following bands)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect Circle may have a cult following, but they do not fit your definition here at all.

:shrug:

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

APC is pretty mainstream dude. So is this question basically for poppy music only?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

huge mainstream success

I thought that would be easy enough to interpret.

How about this. Bands who qualify at the very least play multiple nights in 1000-4000 person theaters, but are more often doing arena or even stadium shows, and they have platinum albums.

Clarkmeister
01-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Platinum albums should be the qualifier. Probabaly double platinum if we are talking HUGE.

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 08:47 PM
How about this. Bands who qualify at the very least play multiple nights in 1000-4000 person theaters, but are more often doing arena or even stadium shows, and they have platinum albums.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I'd have to go with Coldplay then.

GoT

thirddan
01-30-2005, 08:49 PM
i haven't heard much from sevendust in a while, they were bigger maybe a year and half ago...good live show and i don't like much of their music...

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This imo is another great answer.

Sure, in the south and in rap/hip-hop circles they were well known well before 2000. But only post Stankonia did they start getting really well known and they didn't become huge until Speakerboxxx/Love Below (Hey Ya!).

thatpfunk
01-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Incubus

ClaytonN
01-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Coldplay, coldplay, and yes, Coldplay

They need to make a new album goddammit. They are the only band in existance whose albums I will buy from my own wallet.

thirddan
01-30-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Incubus

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty good answer i think (perhaps they have been around too long though), terrrible live though IMO...

thirddan
01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
i think that most people that don't listen to top 40/pop type music have no idea what is mainstream, myself included...we listen to our own kind of music and most likely so do the people will hang out with, so we figure that since everyone that they come in contact with knows the music/band then its mainstream...

pshreck
01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for reiterating my point about mainstream , El Diablo.

While Outkast may have been popular in some circles pre-2000 (which they were), they were simply NOT mainstream. However, people on this board may have liked them, and had tons of friends who liked them, so they would think they are incorrectly mainstream.

Seriously, like half of the bands listed here, if you told a college they were playing on their campus, just about all the students would not know who the hell you are talking about.

And this isn't being smug or anything, I actually want to know... what is A Perfect Circle's most famous song, I want to see if I know it.

thirddan
01-30-2005, 08:57 PM
probably "Judith"...for what its worth Tool is a million times better /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pshreck
01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think that most people that don't listen to top 40/pop type music have no idea what is mainstream, myself included...we listen to our own kind of music and most likely so do the people will hang out with, so we figure that since everyone that they come in contact with knows the music/band then its mainstream...

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY.

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 09:00 PM
what is A Perfect Circle's most famous song, I want to see if I know it.

Probably either Judith or 3 Libras. Both are very good. I wasn't in love with either of their two newest albums, but their first kicked ass. Not nearly as much ass as Tool (esp. Lateralus), but still very good.

GoT

AngryCola
01-30-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for me. I was basing my opinion on other factors entirely.

ClaytonN
01-30-2005, 09:02 PM
I think APC's most popular song was "Weak and Powerless"

Phoenix1010
01-30-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And this isn't being smug or anything, I actually want to know... what is A Perfect Circle's most famous song, I want to see if I know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

APC is awesome. They have videos for "Weak and Powerless" and "The Outsider" off of their second album, so those are pretty well known. "Three Libras" from their first album is pretty popular and my favorite song from them. I think Their most recent single is a cover of John Lennon's "Imagine." They've also got a really good cover of two songs in one called "Diary of a Love Song" that you can download I believe. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Steve

Phoenix1010
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...for what its worth Tool is a million times better /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Perfect Circle is mainstream.

Unfortunately...

Check out their radio play/album sales/tour attendance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I agree with them being the best.

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 09:07 PM

Eh. Did that one get like, radio and MTV play? That album was really pretty weak, imo, that song included. I think most APC listeners felt that way. Their first album is their most popular, i.e. most well-liked, by APC fans. I wouldn't really consider myself an APC fan though, so whatever that's worth.

GoT

istewart
01-30-2005, 09:09 PM
It's obviously Outkast.

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like Linkin Park's sound. I think the Jay-Z and reanimation bs was just awful and it makes me look at them as complete sellouts. I wish there was a list (even though I know a list like that would be huge). I don't really listen to the radio much, and only a fraction of the time I listen to kroq, which is what I view as mainstream rock

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides coldplay, only sevendust is anywhere close to "huge mainstream success."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how Sevendust is more mainstream than APC? of the relatively little kroq I listen to, I hear APC a lot more than I've ever heard Sevendust

mmbt0ne
01-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Is 311 too well established from years past? Down was big in '97 I think, so probably.

If I can't pick them, I'm probably going with Ludacris.

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I thought Staind was pretty good in their post-hard, pre-pussy stage. Dysfunction and Breaking the Cycle were great albums

thirddan
01-30-2005, 09:13 PM
dysfunction was ok...breaking the cycle is probably the most disappointing album i've ever bought, i absolutely hated it...

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Incubus

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty good answer i think (perhaps they have been around too long though), terrrible live though IMO...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I saw them a couple of times at Lollapalooza 2 summers ago and was unimpressed. they were sick when I saw them at MSG around 4 years ago on the Morning View tour. I think their old stuff is a lot better than their new stuff. they got too soft and poppy for me

BottlesOf
01-30-2005, 09:16 PM
This is a lame answer in my opinion. Outkast has been around and enjoyed by people who don't closely follow hip hop way before Stankonia.

The scandal over Rosa Parks made all kinds of mainstream headlines.

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dysfunction was ok...breaking the cycle is probably the most disappointing album i've ever bought, i absolutely hated it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't start listening to them until right before Break the Cycle came out, so it's just the type of music I expected out of them. I stopped listening after the new album came out. I don't remember the name of it though. Aaron must've smoked himself retarded and pussyish over the years. Tormented sounds absolutely nothing like anything recent

cnfuzzd
01-30-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Eh. Did that one get like, radio and MTV play? That album was really pretty weak, imo, that song included. I think most APC listeners felt that way. Their first album is their most popular, i.e. most well-liked, by APC fans. I wouldn't really consider myself an APC fan though, so whatever that's worth.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what was up with that? Lots of people hated the 2nd apc release. I for one, and my circle of tool-worshiping cronies, absolutely LOVED it. They came to springield twice, i caught both shows, and both were fantastic. The second album is one of the few that i can listen to from start to finish and enjoy it all. I think some of these people also fall into the same catagory as those who didnt like Lateralus because it wasnt as hard as aenima, or didnt like aenima because it wasnt as hard as undertow, so on so forth.

peace

john nickle

thirddan
01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
its too bad because he has a very interesting voice, that is why i liked dysfunction, but breaking the cycle was such a letdown that i don't follow them and havent listened to anything after dysfunction...I had similar disappointment with Korn...

sthief09
311 has got to be on this list. just because they were established doesn't mean they aren't mainstream

ClassicBob
White Stripes
Ben Folds

bicyclekick
01-30-2005, 09:20 PM
linkin park hands down.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how Sevendust is more mainstream than APC? of the relatively little kroq I listen to, I hear APC a lot more than I've ever heard Sevendust

[/ QUOTE ]

APC is clearly more mainstream than Sevendust. Where do you see APC in the quote above to which I was responding?

Vince Young
01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
linkin park hands down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

huge mainstream success

I thought that would be easy enough to interpret.

[/ QUOTE ]

APC fits all of that criteria, and FYI, they have had a top 10 billboard album.

anyway, I'd say linkin park, but didnt they first come out just before 2000? Im not anywhere close to sure tho, I know they havent been "mainstream" before then, but they were around for a while before people had heard of them

No one had heard of the white stripes before to long ago (tho im sure their first CD came out way before 2000) and I think they are a great band. I'm also gunna say Dido, but I dunno if she fits into the "mainstream" label

sthief09
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what was up with that? Lots of people hated the 2nd apc release. I for one, and my circle of tool-worshiping cronies, absolutely LOVED it. They came to springield twice, i caught both shows, and both were fantastic. The second album is one of the few that i can listen to from start to finish and enjoy it all. I think some of these people also fall into the same catagory as those who didnt like Lateralus because it wasnt as hard as aenima, or didnt like aenima because it wasnt as hard as undertow, so on so forth.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

that's an interesting observation. it seems like a lot of bands do become a lot softer as their albums progress. I think 311 could fall into that category as well, although it's not nearly as pronounced. Incubus clearly falls into that category too. even Tool has become a LOT more popular than they used to be

sthief09
01-30-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

APC is clearly more mainstream than Sevendust. Where do you see APC in the quote above to which I was responding?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I misread

DBowling
01-30-2005, 09:28 PM
AFI

Schneids
01-30-2005, 09:28 PM
I feel boring saying Coldplay but I think that's the one.

Some honorable mentions include: System of a Down, Audioslave (assuming you'll let me get by with calling this a new group) and Linkin Park. EDIT: Oh yeah The White Stripes are definitely waaaaay up there... Coldplay was def. the "cool" fad for awhile then the "in" group became The White Stripes. /EDIT

I also agree with GoT that Sevendust and Blindside kick ass though yes they aren't mainstream enough for the Q. Similar story with Cold. Finally, I think Avril Lavigne deserves an honorable mention nod /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Our Lady Peace is close behind but having only one 'big' hit doesn't help them... I'm glad to see nobody has mentioned Nickleback yet.

Give Jet a second album and they could maybe get into this list. If The Vines second album didn't suck I think they could have pushed their way into this status as well.

thirddan
01-30-2005, 09:31 PM
i don't think they are mainstream and they have been around a long time...

eulogy
[ QUOTE ]
probably "Judith"...for what its worth Tool is a million times better /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes...i think a million times deserves a spot in the top 3

Alobar
ooo, I forgot audioslave, they kickass

sevendust has been around waaaay before 2000 tho. I saw them in concert with coal chamber, back in very early 98, and they had been around for a while before then.

Jack of Arcades
01-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Coldplay and Outkast are the best answers so far. APC is a good answer as well, and they're pretty mainstream - Mer de Noms, their 2000 debut did go platinum.

Modest Mouse? They've been around a while and their highest charting is 18, but Good News... did go platinum and "Float On" was nearly the freakin' anthem of last summer it got played so much.

The White Stripes.

Edit: damn, my big contribution to the thread with the White Stripes was beaten by someone else.

Also, Franz Ferdinand if they fit, they definitely do in the UK. Interpol might get there.

istewart
01-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Ah, maybe not just Outkast. Yeah, gotta go with the White Stripes here, they fit the category nearly perfectly. I think their first, albeit largely unheard of, album was in '99.

And why are people mentioning 311? They had "Down" in like 1995...

mcb
01-30-2005, 09:34 PM
like a couple others said, incubus /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alobar
01-30-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like a couple others said, incubus /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

they are pre 2000

thatpfunk
01-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I feel like this thread becomes much more interesting if you say best mainstream band after 1990...

Theres a lot of good ones.

DBowling
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
oh, well i just found them 3 months ago. i think theyve got about 30 good tracks, but ive only heard maybe two on the radio. and i think they have one video thats been played on MTV. I dont know what mainstream is though

pshreck
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Since everyone is going the way of alternative/punk rock (that clearly is favored on these boards), I'm gonna throw out 50 cent... and don't ask if I'm serious. Ludacris was also a good post I think.

thirddan
01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know what mainstream is though

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, you aren't the only one having trouble there are about five posts giving an idea but eveyone has a different opinion...

and check out "shut your mouth and open your eyes", its a good album....

deacsoft
01-30-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Radiohead

[/ QUOTE ]

ClaytonN
01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since everyone is going the way of alternative/punk rock (that clearly is favored on these boards), I'm gonna throw out 50 cent... and don't ask if I'm serious. Ludacris was also a good post I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither is a band, though.

cnfuzzd
01-30-2005, 09:55 PM
am i the only one in this forum that think that not only is linkin park a terrible band, but also hands down one of the worst things to happen to rock and roll, ever? Surely not. Linkin park is a worthless piece of [censored].

"breaking the habit" is a good song to ride home drunk to though, but not so much as "passenger" possibly one of the best songs ever.

peace

john nickle

thirddan
01-30-2005, 09:56 PM
i don't like linkin park either...and i can't stand most of the bands listed in this thread...

deacsoft
01-30-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Audioslave, but they are nothing compared to Rage. Tom and Timmy are so damn talented and they play such simple stuff in Audioslave. It's sad so see all that talent only putting out decent music.

pshreck
01-30-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't like linkin park either...and i can't stand most of the bands listed in this thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I didn't want to be the first to say this as I had already criticized some other things in the thread... but I agree, I don't like or haven't heard of most of these bands.

Clear ones that I like are Radiohead and Coldplay, but that's about it. Just a musical opinion though.

thirddan
01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Radiohead and Coldplay

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i can't stand either of these bands... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
01-30-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Audioslave, but they are nothing compared to Rage. Tom and Timmy are so damn talented and they play such simple stuff in Audioslave. It's sad so see all that talent only putting out decent music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree they are a shadow of how awesome rage was, but I was devastated when I heard they were reforming a band with chris (I hated soundgarden), so I was totally expecting to not like it at all (how could anyone possibly compare to zack). So it was like a huge shock to me that I really liked the CD

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Coldplay??? I thought you were always right diablo.....

The answer is clearly The Advantage.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Let's say bands that haven't had a hit prior to 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

well that changes things. Im not sure i know of any bands that fit these requirements that dont suck.

The spice girls had a cut or 2....

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
I also agree with GoT that Sevendust and Blindside kick ass though yes they aren't mainstream enough for the Q.

I knew there was a reason I liked this guy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Similar story with Cold. Finally, I think Avril Lavigne deserves an honorable mention nod.

How did I know that was coming. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Our Lady Peace is close behind but having only one 'big' hit doesn't help them...

Bleh. I didn't like their most recent album. I don't think I ever heard their older stuff other than a couple random songs. Clumsy is the only one I can think of right now. What was their one hit you refer to? I don't recall ever hearing them on the radio or seeing them on MTV, though I don't really listen/watch to either, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm glad to see nobody has mentioned Nickleback yet.

Def.

GoT

sthief09
01-30-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Audioslave (assuming you'll let me get by with calling this a new group)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even going to let you get by for suggesting that Rage might possibly be the same band as Audioslave. I like Audioslave but Rage is/was a million times better. not that I think Zack is a better artist than Chris, but the overall sound was just a lot better. that, and they came first

Schneids
01-30-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Our Lady Peace is close behind but having only one 'big' hit doesn't help them...

Bleh. I didn't like their most recent album. I don't think I ever heard their older stuff other than a couple random songs. Clumsy is the only one I can think of right now. What was their one hit you refer to? I don't recall ever hearing them on the radio or seeing them on MTV, though I don't really listen/watch to either, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Somewhere Out There" got mega airplay. I liked "Life" and "Innocent" by them quite a bit too, most notably.

FeelGoodAboutHood
01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
The White Stripes. IMO, their impression upon music history will be far greater than Coldplay, mainly because of their ability to blend so many different types of music and form something that sounds totally original. Coldplay is an acceptable answer, definitely a great band who has an uncanny ability to not write a weak song, they will probably always be more consistent than The White Stripes, but Coldplay's highs will never touch those of The White Stripes.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 11:00 PM
By band in this context I meant artist. Solo artists qualify. Reading through this thread, I've decided platinum album is not really a great criteria. Reaching platinum through consistent sales over some time period is not what I'm looking for here. I really was thinking artists that just completely saturated radio, MTV, etc. A band that qualifies and nobody has mentioned is my current most-hated band, Maroon 5. Or Nickelback.

[ QUOTE ]
Coldplay, Outkast, The White Stripes

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, clear favorites.

[ QUOTE ]
Linkin Park

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mixed feelings about them. Clearly, they kinda suck and are very derivative, etc. But they sure do have some catchy songs. And they occassionally come up with some stuff I think is pretty good. Definitely qualified choice.

[ QUOTE ]
Incubus

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mixed feelings about them as well. Not sure how much I like them, I go back and forth on it. Valid choice, though. Hmmm, just checked. Make Yourself was released Oct. 26 '99. Not sure exactly when Drive or Pardon Me got popular, but they might have just missed the cut here.

[ QUOTE ]
Staind

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess they qualify. I'm not a big fan, though I did like that sensitive song they did (the one that was the dude acoustic w/ Fred Durst before released as a studio single). Hmm, actually, I liked that other sensitive song they released on their next album too. I suspect these songs are what sthief refers to as their "pussy stage." Overall, not a big fan. But yeah, they qualify.

[ QUOTE ]
Avril Lavigne

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, OK, you're allowed to choose her, I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
A Perfect Circle, Audioslave

[/ QUOTE ]

By my subjective measure, and since it's my thread I get to decide, these two bands do not quite make the "huge mainstream success" cut. Sorry. I am a big fan of both.

[ QUOTE ]
Ludacris, 50-Cent

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if he qualifies time-line wise, but if so Ludacris is a valid choice. I just checked and Slim Shady LP came out in '99. So Eminem just missed the cut here. 50 is a very good answer.

[ QUOTE ]
Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Jet, Vines

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these bands are sort of on the edge in terms of qualification here. I think these names would be unfamiliar to a lot of people, but then again, everyone would recognize Jet between their radioplay and commercials. And you're right about Float On. Still, they just miss the cut. As for these bands, I like MM, FF, and Jet. I think Interpol is way overrated. Vines I can take it or leave it.

Other bands mentioned in this thread that I didn't mention here clearly didn't qualify (Ben Folds - maybe not big enough, but Brick was '97 anyway, AFI - not big enough, etc.)

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 11:02 PM
"Somewhere Out There" got mega airplay. I liked "Life" and "Innocent" by them quite a bit too, most notably.

I thought Somewhere Out There was them trying too hard to make something poppy enough to be a "hit". Sounds like it worked though. I liked Life a lot. Don't remember Innocent at all. The only song by that name that comes to mind is Fuel, but I liked that song.

GoT

jasonHoldEm
01-30-2005, 11:05 PM
(Disclaimer: I scanned the replies quickly so I might have missed it, but..)

Hoobastank is the correct answer. While I belive they've actually been around since the mid-nineties they've only hit it big since 2000. Of all the "new bands" out there they are by far my favorite and show the greatest potential (IMHO) to have a successful long-term career.

J

PS- Coldplay is a strong second.

Schneids
01-30-2005, 11:07 PM
IF Hoobastank ever becomes anything they go down in history no different than a group like Journey... Lots of poppish good-for-radio songs but nothing particularly stellar or original.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Here's another take on this.

What bands that are popular right now do you think will still be big 10, 15, 20 years from now and will produce a ton of very successful albums?

I don't want to argue the relative merits/quality of these bands here, but off the top of my head in terms of enduring success for 10, 15, 20+ years, I'm talking Green Day, Beastie Boys, U2.

Which artists of today will turn out like those bands?

Schneids
01-30-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Staind was pretty good in their post-hard, pre-pussy stage. Dysfunction and Breaking the Cycle were great albums

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean you didn't like "So Far Away" or "Epiphany"? Those are my two fav. Staind songs. Yes I think Staind is better as a soft-rock group than hard-rock...rare for me to say that about any group that has transformed over the years.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hoobastank is the correct answer. While I belive they've actually been around since the mid-nineties they've only hit it big since 2000. Of all the "new bands" out there they are by far my favorite and show the greatest potential (IMHO) to have a successful long-term career.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHHA. That's funny. Hoobastank was a band that I was going to use in my example of bands like Maroon 5 that were really crappy and unoriginal yet had achieved big mainstream success. I suspect you are also a big Simple Fan and New Found Glory fan, Jason.

mmbt0ne
01-30-2005, 11:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

Ludacris, 50-Cent

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if he qualifies time-line wise, but if so Ludacris is a valid choice. I just checked and Slim Shady LP came out in '99. So Eminem just missed the cut here. 50 is a very good answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back For the First Time cam out October 17, 2000. Incognegro, which he produced independently and sold out of his trunk, came out in May of 2000 also, so Ludacris makes the cut.

Ulysses
01-30-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IF Hoobastank ever becomes anything they go down in history no different than a group like Journey... Lots of poppish good-for-radio songs but nothing particularly stellar or original.

[/ QUOTE ]

Journey, relative to the music of their time, was an order of magnitude better than Hoobastank. And I agree w/ your general characterization of Journey, though they do rule.

Jack of Arcades
01-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Fuel rocks, definitely one of the best mainstream bands from 90 on.

Schneids
01-30-2005, 11:20 PM
The three answers that were most widely accepted plus LP.

I'm trying really hard to think of v. new groups that nobody has mentioned yet who might have a shot if their 2nd albums are successes... 3 Days Grace, Shinedown, Chevelle, Smile Empty Soul, Trapt, Seether... Of those I'd say Seether, Trapt, and Chevelle are most likely to last, in that order (not my personal preference of those groups, btw). Seether got helped tons by Amy Lee so if they were wise they'd ride that popularity into their second album and make more songs akin to Broken...

GuyOnTilt
01-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Does that mean you didn't like "So Far Away" or "Epiphany"? Those are my two fav. Staind songs. Yes I think Staind is better as a soft-rock group than hard-rock...rare for me to say that about any group that has transformed over the years.

I don't think I even remotely liked a single song of their newest album. From Break the Cycle, Open Your Eyes is the best song hands down IMO.

I've never really liked Staind, but when Aaron Lewis cancelled the rest of their tour with Sevendust due to his throat problems when I had tickets and was looking forward to my first live Sevendust experience, that did it for me. I was soooooo pissed.

GoT

Spota
01-30-2005, 11:23 PM
I am going to get railed for this, but ok fine. Dave Matthews Band. First CD in 1993 (Bama Rags Label). Maybe I like them b\c the first 3 times I saw their concerts was in a 200 person venue with a $6 cover? Maybe it was b\c I was able rest my bud light on the edge of the stage, or maybe it was because I was able to go take a leak (not wait in a line) and go get my EXACT same spot with out fighting for it.

Anyway, I vote for DMB.

jasonHoldEm
01-30-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHHA. That's funny. Hoobastank was a band that I was going to use in my example of bands like Maroon 5 that were really crappy and unoriginal yet had achieved big mainstream success. I suspect you are also a big Simple Fan and New Found Glory fan, Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

*shrug* Perhaps you're right, but they are in the right position (i.e. appeal to both teeny-boppers and 20-somethings) and sell a lot of records. I'd buy stock in them before I bought stock in a number of the other bands in this thread...I just might sell my stock sooner than you guys would.

I've never heard of the other bands you mention, to be honest my muscial tastes aren't exactly mainstream (I was a big phish-head before they broke up for example) so perhaps I'm a bit out of touch.

J

Schneids
01-30-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What bands that are popular right now do you think will still be big 10, 15, 20 years from now and will produce a ton of very successful albums?

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW I think the answer to this question in the future is going to be a substantially smaller # of bands than ones which currently match this description.

Jack of Arcades
01-30-2005, 11:27 PM
White Stripes, Coldplay, Outkast, Radiohead, Tool, and in a few years Interpol, Modest Mouse, etc if/when they "get" mainstream. I think Ludacris is gonna fade soon, or at the very least, not be regarded well critically.

ThaSaltCracka
01-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Linkin Park

ThaSaltCracka
01-30-2005, 11:29 PM
are you an FTR'er discussing OOT with 2+2'ers?

mmbt0ne
01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
White Stripes, Coldplay, Outkast, Radiohead, Tool, and in a few years Interpol, Modest Mouse, etc if/when they "get" mainstream. I think Ludacris is gonna fade soon, or at the very least, not be regarded well critically.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're a hater. ATL ho!

soah
01-30-2005, 11:37 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Velvet Revolver, assuming they can be considered new.

A number of bands listed (Incubus, Staind, etc) had some really good stuff, and then got popular later on due to some complete crap that they released.

mmbt0ne
01-30-2005, 11:41 PM
I definitely considered Velvet Revolver, but decided that I just couldn't put them, Audioslave, or OutKast in the 'recent artist' category. I'm a nit though, so feel free to add them.

turnipmonster
01-30-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By band in this context I meant artist. Solo artists qualify.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think norah jones easily qualifies given this.

--turnipmonster

razor
01-30-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Journey, though they do rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jack of Arcades
01-31-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just signed up 'cause I couldn't stand the threaded mode and the 10 posts/page.

ThaSaltCracka
01-31-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just signed up 'cause I couldn't stand the threaded mode and the 10 posts/page.

[/ QUOTE ]good choice.

sthief09
01-31-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think I even remotely liked a single song of their newest album. From Break the Cycle, Open Your Eyes is the best song hands down IMO.

I've never really liked Staind, but when Aaron Lewis cancelled the rest of their tour with Sevendust due to his throat problems when I had tickets and was looking forward to my first live Sevendust experience, that did it for me. I was soooooo pissed.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw them at Roseland with Sevendust. Staind sucked but Sevendust was sick. sucks to live on the west coast /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

and yeah Open Your Eyes was my favorite off the album too

Sweaburg
01-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Modest Mouse put out there first LP 95 or 96ish and so did AFI so I don't think either of those count.

BTW new AFI is hella weak compared to older stuff.

RT

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:00 AM
yeah Maroon 5 and Nickelback are on my most hated list too.

311 deserves some mention I think. I think their popularity have been pretty much level over the years, but Soundsystem had to have come out around 2000 (maybe 1999 though), and From Chaos and Evolver have come out post-2000. first straw, beyond the gray sky, and creatures all got a good amount of airplay over the summer

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:02 AM
I feel like those are all fringe bands. by that I mean they're decently popular (even though I don't like them other than Chevelle) but they aren't hugely popular. they're like utility infielder. useful, but no one would really care if they retired

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(Disclaimer: I scanned the replies quickly so I might have missed it, but..)

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate hoobastank

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how could you possibly equate hoobastank to Journey?

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget Good Charlotte

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Journey, though they do rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Journey is awesome

zimmer879
01-31-2005, 01:10 AM
White Stripes are far and away the best mainstream band. In twenty years Coldplay will be a distant memory.

sthief09
01-31-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely considered Velvet Revolver, but decided that I just couldn't put them, Audioslave, or OutKast in the 'recent artist' category. I'm a nit though, so feel free to add them.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, Rage is not Audioslave, and likewise, Velvet Revolver is not STP or Guns n Roses. it's ridiculous to group them together. while both are new, I can't see how either is mainstream. maybe Velvet Revolver is bigger than I thought though

cockandbull
01-31-2005, 01:27 AM
I've just flown through this thread so forgive me if i'm repeating stuff.

outkast
the white stripes
the strokes(not sure, worth a mention)
coldplay
david grey
the libertines
NERD (again maybe)

Jack of Arcades
01-31-2005, 01:32 AM
I know of the history of both bands, but Modest Mouse wasn't very big anywhere outside of Washington until Float On.

BK_
01-31-2005, 01:56 AM
radiohead. is it actually close?

Jack of Arcades
01-31-2005, 02:04 AM
Radiohead does not fit this description.

bugstud
01-31-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The three answers that were most widely accepted plus LP.

I'm trying really hard to think of v. new groups that nobody has mentioned yet who might have a shot if their 2nd albums are successes... 3 Days Grace, Shinedown, Chevelle, Smile Empty Soul, Trapt, Seether... Of those I'd say Seether, Trapt, and Chevelle are most likely to last, in that order (not my personal preference of those groups, btw). Seether got helped tons by Amy Lee so if they were wise they'd ride that popularity into their second album and make more songs akin to Broken...

[/ QUOTE ]

Papa Roach and Disturbed got popular in 2000 if you want to argue for them. Velvet Revolver is one of the better late suggestions, imo. While slightly dissapointing it, as well as the others, sltill blows this coldplay crap out of the water /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My take on the APC mainstream crap debate: If you listen to rock, you consider it mainstream. If you listen to teeneybopper crap and rap, you'll have never heard them unless you caught the recent cover of Lennon's imagine.

Additional band to add to schnieds's list is breaking benjamin. I've really liked both cd's/ I really, really liked the three days grace show I saw this year, but I don't think they'll have much more success because of lack of material.

My opinions on the issue...

tdarko
01-31-2005, 02:45 AM
to answer the question i say norah jones. multiplatinum and grammy awarded, plays in the largest venues and constant airplay. that is the most successful mainstream band (yes she has a band).
to answer the way everyone else has IMO i think its radiohead, audioslave and white stripes but then again these are very arguable since post 2000 music is subpar.

soah
01-31-2005, 03:38 AM
I'd classify Papa Roach as a one-hit wonder. After their first CD, everything else I heard from them on the radio was just really, really bad.

billyjex
01-31-2005, 03:57 AM
Just to throw in my 2 cents..

I really like Trapt. Incubus is good but they got popular in 99 or so I think.

As far as a band that will be popular in 15 years.. I think Incubus has a good chance.

Schneids
01-31-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I really like Trapt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too and they are AWESOME live. I cannot wait to hear more from them.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as a band that will be popular in 15 years.. I think Incubus has a good chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah me too though I never mentioned them because I thought they already reached the status Diablo has described... Though I probably put too much weight into how much I love SCIENCE and Make Yourself. Since Crow... kinda sucked they really need to release a strong new album in the next few years to solidify their legacy.

soah
01-31-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah me too though I never mentioned them because I thought they already reached the status Diablo has described... Though I probably put too much weight into how much I love SCIENCE and Make Yourself. Since Crow... kinda sucked they really need to release a strong new album in the next few years to solidify their legacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incubus was good prior to 2000, and they were mainstream after 2000. I don't think there was much overlap though... IIRC, they basically became mainstream after "Drive" became a single, and that song sucked. And the first single off of their next CD seemed to suck as well, so I ignored them after that.

DangerGoodson
01-31-2005, 04:44 AM
Ashlee Simpson

kemystery
01-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Linkin Park

_2000Flushes
01-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Hellacious A.

-2kF

Sheriff Fatman
01-31-2005, 05:46 AM
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Kings Of Leon

Chris Daddy Cool
01-31-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, in the south and in rap/hip-hop circles they were well known well before 2000. But only post Stankonia did they start getting really well known and they didn't become huge until Speakerboxxx/Love Below (Hey Ya!).

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm new to this thread, but outkast was huge (at least in my parts of the woods) when ATLiens and Aquemini hit, and I'm from the Bay Area.

BeerMoney
01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming Godsmack doesn't fit the post 2000 criteria?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my vote too.. Staind isn't bad either.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The APC song that got the most airtime is definitely Judith. Weak and Powerless is up there, too.

APC is a great pop-rock band, but they're not even in the same hemisphere as TOOL.

And, as much as I revere Maynard as a vocalist, this last release by APC is bad, just bad. The preachy peacenik pose, the cover song selection...all just BAD. Yes, war is bad. Yes, you're a high-profile Rock God. No, we don't need you to remind us that peace is good and war is bad. I think it's time to go back to topics like tantric mysticism and Aleister Crowley.

Their first two releases are fantastic, though.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
probably "Judith"...for what its worth Tool is a million times better

[/ QUOTE ]

I have calculated it as 1,659,627 times better, actually.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably either Judith or 3 Libras. Both are very good. I wasn't in love with either of their two newest albums, but their first kicked ass. Not nearly as much ass as Tool (esp. Lateralus), but still very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have said this before, but the most amazing thing about TOOL is that each release becomes my new all-time favorite musical release by anyone anywhere of all-time ever.

Then, 5 years later, they come along and devastate all of my beliefs all over again.

I love each and every TOOL release. I thought there was no way in hell anyone could make a CD better than Aenima.

Then Lateralus came out.

Good lord.

It's not about whether something is "hard" or "heavy."

It's about whether it kicks ass.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

peace

[/ QUOTE ]

There will always be a faction of people who, as a band gets more popular, say things like "I only like the now-out-of-print collection of b-sides and remixes from back when they were called Blahblah."

Fact is, as I have said over and over, TOOL kicks so much ass that I can't even compare the different releases, in terms of relative quality.

I mean, Undertow KILLED. I don't think I listened to ANYTHING else for a year after it came out, seriously.

Then the same with Aenima. Jesus, my old neighbors at the time probably know all the words to 46+2.

Now Lateralus.

TOOL is playing an entirely different game than anyone else. Plain and simple.

APC? Sure, they're ok.

Do I really care that much?

No.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KISS.

Or maybe Cheap Trick.

B00T
01-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Maroon 5 + Ludacris are clearly 2 of the most "popular" groups right now.

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Mainstream = Top 40/Arena Sell Out Bands, Adult Contemporary etc.

Slipknot/Tool/APC/Sevendust?!? (like they are relevent) IS NOT [censored] MAINSTREAM!

Hell even Radiohead is stretching it.

The correct answer is Coldplay, the singer bangs Gwynnie, their music is actually good, and soccer moms listen to them.

Thats it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

There should not be 110 posts about this.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mainstream = Top 40/Arena Sell Out Bands, Adult Contemporary etc.

Slipknot/Tool/APC/Sevendust?!? (like they are relevent) IS NOT [censored] MAINSTREAM!

Hell even Radiohead is stretching it.

The correct answer is Coldplay, the singer bangs Gwynnie, their music is actually good, and soccer moms listen to them.

Thats it.

There should not be 110 posts about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who calls himself "Indie_____" should probably avoid calling popstars by their first names and discussing which popstar bangs which popstar.

It is not sufficiently aloof for you to maintain your moniker.

"Relevant." That's funny.

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Dude, spelling errors are the new black.

as for my name, I hate it, someone was calling me that at the time, and I never thought I'd post here.

It's a play on words, besides the "indie" it's also "in the".

Obviously they are referring to buttplugs.

Crap I hit post..

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Theres only 3-4 bands that fit the decription mentioned in any of these threads. It's embarrassing.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, spelling errors are the new black.

as for my name, I hate it, someone was calling me that at the time, and I never thought I'd post here.

It's a play on words, besides the "indie" it's also "in the".

Obviously they are referring to buttplugs.

Crap I hit post..

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention anything about any spelling.

I was, understandably (given your name), pointing out the incongruity with which you wield your sword of criticism.

Ok, I wasn't doing all of that.

I was just pissed that you implied that TOOL was somehow not relevant, because you'd be WRONG.

But this was all said in the context of a reply to a guy who I thought fancied himself some sort of "Indie" guy.

So, uh, disregard.

razor
01-31-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Journey is awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed the memo...

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh sorry, I am an Indie/hardocre guy, and I did mispell I think. More importantly, I was talking about Sevendust. This whole thread only has like 5 mainstream bands mentioned, it's really weird.

I love Tool...not as much as you obviously.

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Wheel in the Sky. pizzowns.

razor
01-31-2005, 11:28 AM
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Six_of_One
01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, Undertow KILLED. I don't think I listened to ANYTHING else for a year after it came out, seriously.

Then the same with Aenima. Jesus, my old neighbors at the time probably know all the words to 46+2.

Now Lateralus.

TOOL is playing an entirely different game than anyone else. Plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't let this go without comment. Am I the only Tool fan who thought Lateralus was their worst album? I remember rushing to Best Buy the day it was released, frantically ripping open the package and sliding in the CD with breathless anticipation...cut to 2 days later, and I'm yelling at my CD player, "You're boring...why are you boring?!?!?!"

Aenima is about the best thing I've ever heard, though.

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Not only is Lateralus boring, their live show at MSG for that tour was the worst concert experience ever. The only redeeming part was Mike Pattons project the Phantomos opened. Aenima is dope. Opiate was my favorite before that.

astroglide
01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
the lateralus tour (i wasn't lucky enough to have fantomas open but i have seen them in smaller venues before) was by far my worst concert experience ever. i think tool is basically hosed if they don't get a producer that will actualy challenge their ideas of good music. i get the impression that the whole thing is more or less a result of boundless idealization.

ClassicBob
01-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Ben Folds as a solo artist debuted in 2001, and Rockin' The Suburbs did pretty well on the charts as a single and an album. That's why I chose to list Ben Folds as opposed to the Ben Folds Five.

beerbandit
01-31-2005, 02:12 PM
kid rock -- before the latest album
dave matthews band

cheers

BottlesOf
01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
word.

The Yugoslavian
01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm new to this thread, but outkast was huge (at least in my parts of the woods) when ATLiens and Aquemini hit, and I'm from the Bay Area.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Nod* I was actually going to post this almost verbatim (from the bay area too).

Of course, their first album was and still is the best (although *all* are very good).

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
01-31-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kanye West (although he technically isn't a 'band')
50 cent (again, not a band)
Audioslave (not sure supergroups should count)
Velvet Revolver (not sure supergroups should count and not sure they're 'mainstream' enough)
The Game (not a band and isn't mainstream but will be very, very soon)
Lil' Jon (is he that good? is he a band?)
Linkin Park
Alicia Keys (I think she's post 2000 anyway)
Chingy
Petey Pablo (mainstream? hmmm...)
T.I. (mainstream? hmmm...)

I'm sure I'm missing several very solid breakouts post 2000. However, about 90% of this thread isn't even attempting to answer the OP.

Yugoslav

thirddan
01-31-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread only has like 5 mainstream bands mentioned, it's really weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is because to many people "good mainstream band" is an oxymoron...

Benal
01-31-2005, 03:21 PM
RATM

Phoenix1010
01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Anyone mention The Strokes yet? They're probably reviled by music heads for being recent and popular, but I like them.

ddollevoet
01-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Audioslave

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Good one Classic, this now brings the choice of possible/ acceptable answers in this thread to like 9.

billyjex
01-31-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. Crow was kinda weak. Morning View was good, but nowhere near the status of Make Yourself (my personal fav) or Science.

Hopefully they'll put more time into their next album.

Benjamin
01-31-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
White Stripes

[/ QUOTE ]

130 posts into this thread before someone mentions this obvious answer. They definitely get my vote, though I love Outkast, and Cold Play has a great song or two.

B.

Shajen
01-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Linkin Park is the only correct answer.

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Well at least they are mainstream, but they arent good.

MasterShakes
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Jimmy Eat World... and it's not even close. Do you see why? I'll let other elaborate.

razor
01-31-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that is because to many people "good mainstream band" is an oxymoron...

[/ QUOTE ]

this can't be correct...

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 04:15 PM
That would be a good one (I love JEW) as far as good. But there newest album has bombed.

Benjamin
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Plowed through the whole thread ... can't believe all the guys pumping nu-metal crap. I got so sick of that about 6 months into the 'movement'. One more angsty 21 year old screaming over an ultra distorted PRS and I'll puke. Anyway, I think The White Stripes will be around 20 years from now. Norah Jones was another worthy mention, and I think she'll be around in 20 years. I feel like Cold Play will probably fade away and Outkast may still be around in 20 years, but they'll never match the success of their last release again.

B.

jesusarenque
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
The White Stripes

thirddan
01-31-2005, 05:52 PM
why not? i don't mean "many" as a proportion of the entire population, i mean it as an amount of people...obviously a large percentage like mainstream bands, but "many" people think they suck...

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't let this go without comment. Am I the only Tool fan who thought Lateralus was their worst album? I remember rushing to Best Buy the day it was released, frantically ripping open the package and sliding in the CD with breathless anticipation...cut to 2 days later, and I'm yelling at my CD player, "You're boring...why are you boring?!?!?!"

Aenima is about the best thing I've ever heard, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly understand this opinion. I just don't agree with it.

The songs on Lateralus are more in the vein of the song Pushit from Aenima, which is one of my favorite songs from that CD. It's a matter of taste.

I find it hard to believe that any Tool fan could find Ticks and Leeches "boring," but again, that's a matter of taste.

Here's are some examples: The Patient starts slow, rises, and finishes very strong. Reflection finishes amazingly strong--it's the best song on Lateralus, in my opinion.

The songs are longer, more, ahem, epic on Lateralus. This fact seems to have lost them some fans.

But the fact is, the musicianship on Lateralus far exceeds anything they've ever done (most notably Danny Carey), and I happen to really love the songs, too.

So it works for me.

If it's any consolation to anyone, Chancellor and Carey were quoted someplace recently saying the songs they're piecing together now are "heavier and more intense than those on Lateralus."

So keep the faith.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the lateralus tour (i wasn't lucky enough to have fantomas open but i have seen them in smaller venues before) was by far my worst concert experience ever. i think tool is basically hosed if they don't get a producer that will actualy challenge their ideas of good music. i get the impression that the whole thing is more or less a result of boundless idealization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen them a bunch of times, and I must agree that the live stuff has taken a bad turn. I mean, they PLAY better, but the show has become tedious. I think Maynard is taking too much of something.

As for the songs, we can agree to disagree.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only is Lateralus boring, their live show at MSG for that tour was the worst concert experience ever. The only redeeming part was Mike Pattons project the Phantomos opened. Aenima is dope. Opiate was my favorite before that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the show at the Garden in 2001, and it really DID suck. They used to be great live, I swear.

IndieMatty
01-31-2005, 06:10 PM
That was my third time seeing them.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was my third time seeing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume, if you've seen them thricely, sir, that you must have enjoyed their live act the previous two times.

I mean, did you see them on the Undertow or Aenima tours? They were great.

Now, to be honest, it sems like there's some sense that they're playing for themselves more than for the crowd.

I really don't care for the stage show, and I really don't care for Maynard's stage persona.

It wasn't always like this.

I am confident it will get back to great again.

razor
01-31-2005, 06:18 PM
I expected that comeback...

even though 'many' people may think something, that 'many' becomes some what of a meaningless description when 'many many more' think otherwise.

but I'm being nit picky...

Chap_Stick
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Ben Harper

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Why do people keep saying Radiohead?

1993 pablo honey
1995 the bends
1997 ok computer

I can't believe how late in this thread, people are still saying Radiohead.

ClaytonN
01-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Perhaps this links a certain mental capcity with Radiohead lovers? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AngryCola
01-31-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silliness.

But I imagine that it's because they never read the parts of the thread dealing with what you meant by "recent".

BK_
01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1993 pablo honey
1995 the bends
1997 ok computer

[/ QUOTE ]

so you listed their earlier albums and ignored hail to the theif, ect?

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silliness.

But I imagine that it's because they never read the parts of the thread dealing with what you meant by "recent".

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. It's not that. Nobody is saying Pearl Jam. Look at all the other bands in this thread. How can you put Radiohead in the same time period as the others? Doesn't make any sense. These people are fans of Radiohead and didn't know they were huge in the mid-90s?

Ulysses
01-31-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1993 pablo honey
1995 the bends
1997 ok computer

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. Read the thread. Your response makes no sense.

BK_
01-31-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1993 pablo honey
1995 the bends
1997 ok computer

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. Read the thread. Your response makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like reading

Chris Daddy Cool
01-31-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, their first album was and still is the best (although *all* are very good).

[/ QUOTE ]

no way is southernplayalisticadalikmusik better than ATLiens or aquemeni.

miajag81
02-01-2005, 12:05 AM
The White Stripes, and it's not close. Anyone who has seen them live will agree.

Coldplay is a distant second.

BK_
02-01-2005, 01:44 AM
by the way if radiohead doesnt count, neither does outkast

Jack of Arcades
02-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Outkast's biggest commercial and critical success was obviously Speakerboxx/Love Below, while for Radiohead, it was OK Computer.

Outkast was far from mainstream until Stankonia with Ms. Jackson (which was 2000). Maybe I'll give you Rosa Parks... but probably not.

Ulysses
02-01-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The White Stripes, and it's not close. Anyone who has seen them live will agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen them three times. 06/04/02 The Fillmore, 04/28/03 The Warfield. Those two shows were great. The third show 09/13/03 Greek Theater, was underwhelming.

I've only seen Coldplay once, 06/20/01 The Warfield, and it was a great show.

So completely different. Obviously The White Stripes rock the place a lot more. But the Coldplay concert was really incredible in its own right.

daryn
02-01-2005, 03:06 AM
if they (the white stripes) count, i vote them.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That would be a good one (I love JEW) as far as good. But there newest album has bombed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right (though I don't pay much attention to album sales). Don't confuse monetary success with whether a band is good though.

MicroBob
02-01-2005, 03:16 AM
I immediately thought ColdPlay just on the title of the thread...before I read that this was your first vote.

Jet might rate highly (but certainly not higher than coldplay).

The Yeah Yeah Yeah's probably don't count as mainstream imo.

Some would vote for Dave Matthews Band but I have never been a big fan.

Liz Phair had some mainstream success last year but that is based more on her one over-played, medicore single than any of her good stuff....and I don't know if enough people know about her to really call her a 'mainstreak' artist.
She did a great concert last year though.

The more I think about it the more I realize there just hasn't been that much out there in the main-stream music universe.
It's a Brittney Spears/Christina Aguilera/Usher/Lil John/American Idol type world unfortunately.

Ulysses
02-01-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right (though I don't pay much attention to album sales). Don't confuse monetary success with whether a band is good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy Eat World is a valid choice in this thread. I like them a lot, but don't think that they're at the same level creatively as some of the other bands mentioned.

MicroBob
02-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Okay....just read the first 12 pages or so of the thread and now know that some of my suggestions aren't even close based on the rules.

Cold Play
Jet (kinda-sorta by default)
White Stripes (even though I actually don't dig them THAT much)

Here's one I didn't see (but might have been mentioned in a post I missed):

Norah Jones
Yes, I'm serious.

I think jon Maier warrants consideration as well.

No...I don't own any of his CD's. Yes....I do think some of his songs are decent (and I'll listen occasionally when channel surfing while driving).
Yes...my GF freaking LOVES him.
Yes...I am reluctant to admit that I sometimes like him too because he's so girly-friendly.

However...I have significantly more respect for him since he did that sketch with Dave Chapelle.

Other comments:
Linkin Park REALLY sucks and so does Godsmack.
I really don't like Radioplay either...but they were pre-2000 certainly.
Don't like Perfect Circle as well
I'm not a fan of Ludicris or Outkast but can live with these suggestions I guess.
Modest Mouse is probably reasonably close to main-stream....I mean, if their CD is on the main-display at Wal-Mart how non-mainstream can they be?

Ulysses
02-01-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Norah Jones
Yes, I'm serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone did. I was going to mention her, but forgot. I think she is a little overrated, but she's a valid choice.

[ QUOTE ]
I think jon Maier warrants consideration as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except for the fact that he sucks. Ask your girlfriend if she'd like you to mention Maroon 5 as well.

MicroBob
02-01-2005, 05:12 AM
I fully admit to hating Maroon 5.
but I actually do kinda dig Jon Maier sometimes.

I agree that Norah Jones is overrated....but I think almost every single one of the bands I have seen mentioned in this thread are overrated.

We're talking best mainstream musical artists since 2000....unfortunately, in order to qualify you pretty much just have to not completely suck.
Better than terrible makes the first cut...so Norah certainly qualifies.

dsm
02-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Cap'n Geech &amp; The Shrimp Shack Shooters

-dsm

partygirluk
02-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Muse.

ZeeJustin
02-02-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Muse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Muse is actually my favorite band. I'm under the impression that they are easily considered mainstream in the UK, but not at all in the US. Semi-fuzzy territory, but they are amazing IMO.

ZeeJustin
02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Linkin Park will be huge for at least another 5 years IMO. I don't think they will last 15, but it is very possible they will outsell the bands you are thinking of anyway.

partygirluk
02-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Muse are semimainstream over here. They are not on the league of an Oasis or Coldplay, but their National tour typically played out to 15,000 or so people (as compared to the aforementioned who would be regularly doing 30K).

They are exceptional live. Matt Bellamy is fantastic. New Born is one of my favorite songs, ever.

sthief09
02-02-2005, 09:38 AM
do you like lostprophets? fake sound of progress is one of my favorite cds. Tosh brought them up sometimes so I assume they have decent fame in the UK

partygirluk
02-02-2005, 09:57 AM
They are not that big over here. Most people will have heard of them though. I don't know much about them, but would likely recognise a couple of their songs.

Sporky
02-02-2005, 10:19 AM
i agree. muse is pretty much my favorite band. saw them live last month and i was blown away. most people in the US still don't seem to know who they are. sucks for them.

daveymck
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you like lostprophets? fake sound of progress is one of my favorite cds. Tosh brought them up sometimes so I assume they have decent fame in the UK

[/ QUOTE ]

The heavy rock/metal scene is very insular in the UK most wel known bands by fans of the genre are not known at all by mainstream pop fans. Musically our culture is different mainstream pop is that pop very little rock type stuff although it is changing a bit at the moment as guitar based music comes back into fashion.

Lost Prophets are probably playing gigs to 1500-4000 people dpendant on the location in the UK, metal to be honest is much bigger in the rest of Europe.

A band for the Coldplay fans to check out is Snow Patrol they are starting to break in the UK and seem to be similar. Also you guys might like the Stereophonics and a bit rockier Ash.

partygirluk
02-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Snow Patrol are excellent live. "Run" was one of the best singles of 2004.

srvollmer
02-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Aside from Outkast, Coldplay and The White Stripes...
I will hang my head and vote for:
Dido.

*lets door hit him on way out