PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the blinds...BB's final stand.

Garland
01-30-2005, 03:43 PM
My SB opponent seemed pretty aggressive from the limited time that I saw him. Despite the fact that I only have 80 hands on him, his preflop raise % is 17.50 still stands out as pretty high. In other words, I don't respect his mini-raise from the SB.

What do you think about this line?

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($77)
CO ($159.65)
Button ($151)
SB ($223.20)
Garland ($273.55)
UTG ($377.15)
UTG+1 ($309.65)
UTG+2 ($192)
MP1 ($121.50)
MP2 ($113.45)

Preflop: Garland is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, Garland calls $2.

Flop: ($8) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, Garland calls $6.

Turn: ($20) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8</font>, Garland calls $8.

River: ($36) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $30...</font>

poboy
01-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Why are you worried about defending your blind? In a tournament where the blinds increase I can see it, but in a cash game? That said I would probably call his minraise. On the flop I would raise and if he plays back give it up. JMO

DoomSlice
01-30-2005, 04:50 PM
I like everything but the river raise.

soah
01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't understand the river raise. You don't have enough to raise for value, and you have too much to resort to bluffing.

ohkanada
01-30-2005, 08:13 PM
I agree with the rest. Just call the river. Even if you know this guys underbets mean weakness, I see no advantage of raising the river.

Ken

JaBlue
01-30-2005, 08:24 PM
I like your play except the river raise.. doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

If this guys' pre flop raises have been too liberal another choice you have is to reraise preflop if he's been laying down to reraises (has he?).

TheWorstPlayer
01-30-2005, 08:33 PM
I only like the river raise if he sees you as very tight and may lay down a king (although I think is very unlikely) or if he sees you as very loose and may call down with a worse hand (also seems unlikely). The only other reason why I may like it is if you think he has a worse hand, he will fold, and you won't have to show your hand which will be an advantage if you plan on defending your blind against him routinely (which it looks like you do). But I'm not sure that advantage is worth $20 if he calls and you are behind.

Garland
02-01-2005, 12:03 AM
My thoughts:

Perhaps I should have just called the river bet, but here's my rationale why I didn't.

I read my opponent as probably just following up his bet with a bluff on the flop, but I thought there was a good chance that he hit his K on the turn. Maybe he has a decent Q, who knows? By the river, I felt he had me beat, either with something like a KT or K9 or a better Q, so I decided the river card provided enough opportunity to represent something big to push him off a hand that I felt 99% sure was too weak to call $20 more. I felt it was just the right amount that seemed plausible that send a message "I have a pretty good hand, and I didn't raise *too* much more...please call." Of course with my read that my opponent was relatively weak, I knew he couldn't pay off. The risk that he'd go over the top was minimal, but I'd fold anyhow.

He thought about it for 5 seconds and folded.

Thanks for your comments.

Garland

TheWorstPlayer
02-01-2005, 12:30 AM
From the results, it looks to me like:
Flop - Great, I've got a Q!
Turn - Crap, I've got a Q!
River - Well, I've got a Q...