PDA

View Full Version : Philanthropist Hellmuth

Rushmore
01-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Bet has a notice on their welcome page that says that Phil Hellmuth is matching all tsunami relief donations made through UB. It appears this magnanimous gesture will cost him something like $13K.

Go figure.

James282
01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Bet has a notice on their welcome page that says that Phil Hellmuth is matching all tsunami relief donations made through UB. It appears this magnanimous gesture will cost him something like $13K.

Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Magnanimous" is one of my favorite words.
Just thought I'd share.
-James

sammysusar
01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
if he worked for pokerstars he would owe like 200K.

SossMan
01-31-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

start the countdown until this tidbit of info gets into his cardplayer article.

Tuco
01-31-2005, 04:52 AM
Nice of him but im far more impressed with people that give to charity anonymously.

Tuco.

riverboatking
01-31-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice of him but im far more impressed with people that give to charity anonymously.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah how much did you donate anonmously?

you think the people affected care more about the $$$ amount, or the manner in which it was raised?

Turning Stone Pro
01-31-2005, 09:18 AM
How much did YOU donate?

TSP

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How much did YOU donate? TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

$320, for what it's worth.

And no, I wasn't actually being sarcastic. I actually thought that with the general tenor of the Hellmuth threads around here, it would be a relatively interesting bit of information, perhaps conflicting some of the hardcore Hellmuth haters.

I thought it was a cool thing for him to do, to be honest.

mcteecho
01-31-2005, 12:23 PM
I agree. And he shouldn't be criticized for not doing it anonymously - the point of the initiative is to make us take notice of the campaign so that we'll pony up dough, and it's much more likely to have that effect if they say it's Helmuth rather than "an anonymous donor".

BeerMoney
01-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Nice post.

And, I would just like to say, when someone does something nice, people shouldn't look for a reason to criticize. Like, "Why isn't he doing it anonymously?" etc..

Look Hellmuth is a baby, etc.. It doesn't mean he is a deplorable person, or a scumbag. He overreacts to things, and he's caught up in himself. We all probably have friends like that.

I say good for him, 13k should go a long way over there.

BeerMoney
01-31-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Magnanimous" is one of my favorite words.
Just thought I'd share.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't my favorite word, but I am a fan. Mainly because it looks like it should be large, or something.. Good call.

Tuco
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah how much did you donate anonmously?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really this stupid? People who do things, rather than talk about doing things, impress me. Phils' self-promotion is approaching pathetic.

In your dazed state of Phillove, you missed the part where I said it was nice of him. Unfortuneately, his history of self-promotion at any cost taints anything he does publicly in my eyes. In your eyes he can do no wrong. Fine. Whatever. I just hope for your sake you never knock him out of a tournement stating with the worst hand, as all your illusions will be shatered.

Tuco.

riverboatking
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you really this stupid? People who do things, rather than talk about doing things, impress me. Phils' self-promotion is approaching pathetic.

In your dazed state of Phillove, you missed the part where I said it was nice of him. Unfortuneately, his history of self-promotion at any cost taints anything he does publicly in my eyes. In your eyes he can do no wrong. Fine. Whatever. I just hope for your sake you never knock him out of a tournement stating with the worst hand, as all your illusions will be shatered.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

phillove?
please direct me to one thread where i made any statement regarding phil, whether it be positive or negative.

as it happens i have never met the man and therefore make no claims about his personality.
he happens to not be one of my favorite poker players, and not because of his table antics (i could care less if he cries like a baby), but rather for his weak-tight play which i don't find appealing.

however you my friend have demonstrated yourself to be a true idiot.

Rushmore
01-31-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, I would just like to say, when someone does something nice, people shouldn't look for a reason to criticize. Like, "Why isn't he doing it anonymously?" etc..

Look Hellmuth is a baby, etc.. It doesn't mean he is a deplorable person, or a scumbag. He overreacts to things, and he's caught up in himself. We all probably have friends like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the words of an evolved human being. This post is rational and non-judgemental.

A person did a decent thing. Whether it was Phil Hellmuth or Barry Greenstien shouldn't make a difference.

I only posted it so to show that a person who is otherwise generally excoriated is also a person still capable of a generous act.

I seriously doubt he did it to impress anyone, and, if he DID, I don't care.

I still can't stand the guy's personality, and I'm not a fan of his game, but what the hell, right?

dakine
01-31-2005, 06:30 PM
RIGHT !! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tuco
01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
however you my friend have demonstrated yourself to be a true idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, lets review. I said people that donate anonymously impress me, then you asked me how much I donated. Well thought out.

Then you made an irrelevant and obvious point about the victims not caring in the manner the money was raised. No [censored]. Another well thought out point.

There was a tire store in my neighborhood that advertised that for every set of tires sold they would donate $50 to the Tsunami fund. Using the devastation of nations and hundreds of thousands of people to self-promote makes me sick. That was my point, that apparently went over your head. Not surprising.

Tuco.

riverboatking
02-01-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Phils' self-promotion is approaching pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry oh great one, but who announced phils charitable offer?
oh yeah UB, hmmm nice self-promotion.

and gee lets think......announcing that phil will match all donations was probably done with the goal of generating more money for the relief effort.

but yeah, way to find another way to hate on the guy.

i think the only one who is pathetic is you.
and feel free to come up with another lame ass retort since you have a hard time coming up with anything interesting to say.

riverboatking
02-01-2005, 04:50 AM
what a shock tuco........not one of your posts has anything to do with strategy.

keep trolling buddy.

Tuco
02-01-2005, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what a shock tuco........not one of your posts has anything to do with strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are more thorough with you poker game than your research. Also, I wasn't aware that this was a requirement.

And "buddy", when you lose an argument to someone then call them a troll as a last resort, it shows weakness. Thanks for the tell. Maybe i'll be able to use it this month if I run into you in the Commerce NL games.

Finally, if I was a troll, you seem to like to bite like a chinook. I posted an opinion to noone in particular and you attacked me with weak statements and arguments. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Tuco.

realwtf
02-01-2005, 08:45 AM
How many people whored this donation match offer?

riverboatking
02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And "buddy", when you lose an argument to someone then call them a troll as a last resort, it shows weakness. Thanks for the tell. Maybe i'll be able to use it this month if I run into you in the Commerce NL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh i wasn't aware i lost the arguement. please enlighten me as to the objective criteria used to judge this arguement that apparently you "won".

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

riverboatking
02-01-2005, 04:20 PM
sorry tuco, i was way off, two strategy related posts in the past two years.
great contributions, what do you just wait for someone to mention something admirable about somebody more sucessful then you so you can try and cast aspertions?

jar
02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Is this still going on? A chance to help out a good cause and take money from Hellmuth sounds win win to me.

krishanleong
02-03-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't know a single person that donated anonomously. I mean hell, if I know them they are not anonomous right? The kids in the high school I teach at raised 4.5K. My 7th period class raised 450 alone. Go team!

Krishan

lighterjobs
02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
he probably just needs it for a write off on his taxes (maybe i'm wrong).