PDA

View Full Version : Line on a Monster

Jester999
01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
This is actually more of a general theory hand than anything else. The villain here apparently doesn't have an overpair or I believe he leads again on the turn. But my feeling is that I misplayed it anyway and gave him a better chance to get away from the hand if he did have one.

The villain seems to be a thinking player. Comments appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($81.30)
UTG+1 ($67.15)
MP1 ($132.65)
MP2 ($54.90)
MP3 ($26.40)
Hero ($157.45)
Button ($97.20)
SB ($26.95)
BB ($54)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $5, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($12.50) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($22.50) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $37.50

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-30-2005, 11:26 AM
You could raise the flop. He bet very little and there are a few draws possible.

I hate it when crap like that happens.

krazyace5
01-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Since you were last to act and there was not a diamond draw on the board you could have given him one more chance to fire at the pot by checking the turn, but since there was a diamond draw I think this was fine.

tbach24
01-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Fold pre-flop.

Raise the flop. SO many cards you won't like on the turn.

Jester999
01-30-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could raise the flop. He bet very little and there are a few draws possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was getting at. I think it's the only way to win a big pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against, a small stacked monkey. Yes. Against, a thinking player with a fairly deep stack, nope.

fimbulwinter
01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was getting at. I think it's the only way to win a big pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against, a small stacked monkey. Yes. Against, a thinking player with a fairly deep stack, nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, i'd rather call against a monkey with a deep stack. The call is actually pretty thin against a very good player with a wide range of possible raising hands...

fim

ohkanada
01-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Fold pre-flop. The raisers stack isn't big enough to get paid off.

Raise the flop.

Ken

fimbulwinter
01-30-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is actually more of a general theory hand than anything else. The villain here apparently doesn't have an overpair or I believe he leads again on the turn. But my feeling is that I misplayed it anyway and gave him a better chance to get away from the hand if he did have one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the replies thus far. the weak flop bet is certainly not a flush draw with two overcards, otherwise he'd play it strong to fold you out or take a coinflip. you're headsup so you don't need to give the other guy instant credit for every possible draw here. and no, the turn check/fold when 4 to a low straight shows up does not mean he doesn't have an overpair, it could just be a good player laying down something like JJ if he precieves you to be weak/tight. do you lead 4 straight boards with a marginal overpair where almost every PP/SC the other guy could hold is now ahead of you?

In reality he probably had something like AQ etc. this means that on the turn, he's drawing dead to a win and to three outs to a tie. you called a $5 PFR and won a massive $5 postflop from him, so those implied odds you thought you had just aren't there. even holding AA he's drawing dead on the turn, so why bet it? letting him bluff the river is the only way to make more money on this one, so pretend your "99" is just as scared by that 5 as his overpair/ace highand check it through. if an ace pops off on the river, you can raise his bet, if a nine hits, i'd just call it.

fim