PDA

View Full Version : Blind defense

Shang Chou
01-30-2005, 03:47 AM
3 bet or just call here? Calling makes me sad. It is more fun to raise. Right?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Yerma
01-30-2005, 03:53 AM
My vote is to just call here. You can take position on him on the flop this way by checking, letting him bet, and then react. And with J9o, getting the advantage of flop position is probably very important!

When you raise pf instead, he gets position on you throughout the hand. If you try to blast him out of the hand by betting every street whether you hit or not, his threat is that he can just call you down, and you won't have anything to showdown without hitting the flop.

Ryno
01-30-2005, 04:04 AM
"Calling makes me sad. It is more fun to raise. Right?"

Hmmm...there is one other option you might consider...

PassiveCaller
01-30-2005, 04:15 AM
i hope this is a joke.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-30-2005, 04:29 AM
why aren't you even considering folding?

Shang Chou
01-30-2005, 06:27 AM
I don't consider folding because the little voice in my head tells me:

"C'mon. Party 15/30 raise from the cutoff? The guy probably has crap. You have J9 which is not too shabby of a hand compared to some of the stuff this guy can be raising with. Reraising is better than calling so you can at least bluff an A or K if that hits and if you hit a J you are money. Don't be a weak tight litte biatch and do it."

Essentially that was my thought process during this hand. Furthermore, my read on the raiser was he was tricky and capable of stealing from the cutoff with any two and thus if I was gonna play heads up with him I wanted to take the lead with what I thought was the best hand.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-30-2005, 06:46 AM
this is really wreckless thinking for several reasons.

1) if your opponent is tricky, J9o out of position is not a hand you want to play against him. too many flops are going to miss you or hit you lightly where you'll be put in the uncomfortable position to to fight him off.

2) as a tricky aggressive player your assumption that a K or an A will scare him is wrong. if anything, you are MORE likely to get played back at when these cards fall off.

3) your assumption that J9o is the best hand. you'll be suprised just how often K2o will beat J9o heads up.

save your bets when you have real firepower against him.

Yerma
01-30-2005, 12:56 PM
If you just call preflop, you can still represent an A or K on the flop if you'd like. If an Ace falls and you c/r him, he's got to consider that you may have defended with Ax.

Something that I don't do personally, but that might be a strong play in these cases is to pick, preflop, whether you're going to c/r if an A, K, or Q falls on the flop. So, for instance, you picked to bluff at a K. If an A falls and you didn't hit the flop, just check-fold. If a K falls, then c/r whether or not you hit the flop. That's awfully tricky...very hard to deal with you in the blinds if someone's going to try and steal your blinds more often than he should!

KidPokerX
02-02-2005, 05:37 PM
You obviously thought you had the best hand. In that case i'd go for a cap.

Trust your read next time.

-KidPokerX

Also, what is your PP name? Would you like to play sometime?

esspo
02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"C'mon. Party 15/30 raise from the cutoff? The guy probably has crap. You have J9 which is not too shabby of a hand compared to some of the stuff this guy can be raising with. Reraising is better than calling so you can at least bluff an A or K if that hits and if you hit a J you are money. Don't be a weak tight litte biatch and do it."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly, with the exception that I think you should lead any flop and 3-bet if c/o continues with his tricky nonsense. I'd take the same line on the turn and river. Just make sure you mix up your play and check the turn and/or river hoping to checkraise and even 4-bet if possible.

Well played!

William Jockusch
02-02-2005, 06:36 PM
With J0o, you are a pretty big dog against the typical cutoff raiser, even on party. IMO, it's a borderline call or fold decision.

AceHigh
02-02-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 bet or just call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not call preflop and fire a bet on the flop, no matter what hits? There is no way you will get the CO to fold preflop, but you might be able to steal on the flop with an aggressive play.