PDA

View Full Version : Button: Why raise on the turn if you think you have the best hand?

AA suited
01-30-2005, 02:41 AM
blinds = 25/50, 7 players left, everyone has >750 chips

mp limps in, you are the button w/j /images/graemlins/heart.gif q /images/graemlins/heart.gif and limp in. blinds limp in.

flop = 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif j /images/graemlins/club.gif

checked to MP who bets 1/2 pot. you call, blinds fold.

turn = 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

mp bets 1/2 pot again.

if you think your J is good, the standard play is to raise him? WHY???

if he's betting into you, why not let him bet into you on the river too? then you can min raise there to extract max chips, no?

11t
01-30-2005, 03:19 AM
I raise to protect my hand from an ace or king hitting on the turn, thats just me though

Pokerscott
01-30-2005, 03:33 AM
He may be betting a flush draw (under the theory that if I will call a half pot bet I might as well bet half the pot). On the turn he still has a flush draw and may call. On the river he doesn't.

Pokerscott

Marc Ingenoso
01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
I would raise on the flop, bet on the turn and check if checked to me on the river. I wouldn't want to give him cheap looks at a possible flush draw and I would like to figure out if he is holding K,J as soon as possible (thought it doesn't look like he does given the smallish 1/2 pot sized bets).

adanthar
01-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Let's say you call the flop (not the worst play in the world) and call again on the turn.

The river is an A, K, T, or complete blank and he goes all in. What's your play?

This is why you raise on *some* street, whether the flop or the turn.