PDA

View Full Version : Best Tournaments? ie: longest rounds and most starting chips

VeryTnA
01-30-2005, 02:16 AM
What site(s) have tournaments with the longest rounds and most chips to start? What are the buy in's?

eMarkM
01-30-2005, 02:36 AM
I did an analysis of the big four on a spreadsheet and came up with a metric of "most rounds per 30 minutes if you don't play a hand" and for regular tourneys Party was by far the winner. This is due mostly to early round low escalation and no antes. Stars and UB were virtually tied for 2nd and Paradise was the worst. For other tourneys, Party "Super" are really good due to thier 20 min rounds. And Stars "special", usually reserved for WSOP/Carribean/WCOOP with 30 min rounds are the best of them all.

VeryTnA
01-30-2005, 02:49 AM
eMarkM,
Thank You !!!
I appreciate you sharing this information.
Good Luck!

sirio11
01-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Thanks for posting eMark. Well, guess my intuition was right, always have thought that PP 200 is better than PS 200, still think than UB 200 is better than Stars; and yes the PS for the WSOP or WPT structures are really good.

ismisus
01-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Stars really needs to change their 200k structure. It really becomes an all-in frenzy from 30 people to 10 people. Then the blinds stop growing, just the scaled back blinds at the WPT table.

zeitgeist
05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Just came across this thread (glad I searched before posting as I was going to ask the exact same question /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

FWIW, the tourneys on bugsysclub.com aren't bad to start (10,000 chips and 25/50 blinds), but the rounds are only 10 minutes and the antes kick in after 40 minutes. That's the only other online structure I'm familiar with (and I concur that Paradise's is the worst).

I was wondering if anyone had any similar information on sites other than those referred to in this thread. I suppose I could download and try them all but it'd be nice to know which ones to go to first.

valenzuela
05-07-2005, 09:22 PM
bugsys structure is by far the best, period. In important tourney the blinds go up every 20 minutes. I met a guy who came up 9th on a WSOP satelite and he played for 7 hours( winner won the seat and it had a regular payout structure)and bugsys tourneys dont have a huge field at all.

whiskeytown
05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
and some of the big Pokerstars tourneys (like the $500 ones at the end of the month) start with 2500 chips and 30 min. rounds, meaning you get even more play for the buck

RB

sirio11
05-07-2005, 09:33 PM
It's 20 min whiskey, I wish they were 30 mins, like the $650 WSOP satellites.

UnderThe Gun
05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Bet has the best on-line tournament structures on the web; followed by Full Tilt.

Both have very slow blind increases, but UB gives 250 big blinds in starting chips. It's not unusual on UB to reach the final table where an average stack still has over 25 big blinds -- and 30 big blind averages aren't unheard of.

CieloAzor
05-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll third Bugsy's Club, and it's not close. 10,000 starting chips, 25/50 blinds to start. Usually 10 minute levels, although the Bugsy's Shootout ($50+5) has 15 minute levels and the finals of their promotions generally have 20 minute levels.

schwah
05-07-2005, 10:07 PM
pokerroom has ran 2 (i think?) $1k tourneys that have definately had the slowest structure of any online events. 10k starting chips, 30 minute levels. both were 2 day events and i think lasted about 13 hrs total. also i think these tourneys had 0 juice but i'm not positive about that

i'm not sure when they are planning on having another. i believe theres an upcoming PLO tourney with 5k starting chips and $500 buyin.

schwah
05-07-2005, 11:06 PM
also, rebuy tourneys on just about any site will give you a lot more time to play

whiskeytown
05-07-2005, 11:15 PM
ok....

technically, though it's probably a better deal then most tourneys out there...and certainly better then the standard pokerstars tourney with the increased chip count.

haven't been around on Sunday for SO LONG that I forgot how they're like - LOL

RB

LethalRose
05-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I took at look at bugsy, while the structure is cool i found no tournaments in the buyin range im looking for. It looked like there was very few tournaments which could generate a $5000 prize pool for a decent prize. What tournaments do you play there? Maybe I just caught it on an odd night, or looking at the wrong section.

I do, however like the SNG structure.

MicroBob
05-08-2005, 12:46 AM
yeah...the stars re-buys are a good point.

but when it gets up there it can really get moving pretty fast.

otoh - i've played some rebuy-sat's there where the bubble-period took an insanely long time because everyone remaining had at least 15xBB.

But i definitely don't like the all-in fests that develop in crucial periods of some of the stars tourneys that draw more players.

I think this is a semi-occurance in their $11-rebuy isn't it? After it gets from 1k to 200 players or so you are looking at a whole lot of players who have less than 10xBB.

I believe I've been in tourneys there where there were still 30 players or so remaining and the blinds went fast enough that 20-25 of the players suddenly had 10xBB or less.

Haven't been playing the $11-rebuys of late...so someone feel free to confirm for me whether my memory is correct on these.
But I seem to remember getting REALLY frustrated with this.