PDA

View Full Version : Tunica winner's dad paid his buy-in

jacki
01-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Wisconsin State Journal article on Stoltzman (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=26484)

youngin20
01-29-2005, 11:51 PM
I think he qualified thru a super. At least I remember reading that on pokerpages.

Russ McGinley
01-30-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In 1989, then- Madison resident Phil Hellmuth Jr. captured the World Series of Poker championship at age 24. Hellmuth says his accomplishment, worth $755,000 at the time, was more significant, but he still characterizes Stolzmann's World Poker Open as one of the top 45 poker events of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil once again puts his ego aside to celebrate a victory for someone else, likely at his own expense, and reminds everyone that his WSOP victory at age 24 is not really significant.

eastbay
01-30-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In 1989, then- Madison resident Phil Hellmuth Jr. captured the World Series of Poker championship at age 24. Hellmuth says his accomplishment, worth $755,000 at the time, was more significant, but he still characterizes Stolzmann's World Poker Open as one of the top 45 poker events of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil once again puts his ego aside to celebrate a victory for someone else, likely at his own expense, and reminds everyone that his WSOP victory at age 24 is not really significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

My jaw dropped when I read that as well. Case closed. Phil is a sh7thead.

eastbay

deacsoft
01-30-2005, 12:24 AM
I was born in Sheboygan and lived in Madison, so I guess that makes me next. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gonores
01-30-2005, 01:27 AM
:clears throat:

gonores
01-30-2005, 01:35 AM
That's so weird, because I talked to Phil in Tunica and he seriously did not come off as any kind of a dick. He was all "rah rah Madison," he looked me in the eye when we talked, and he remembered my name at the end of the conversation when he wished me luck. But I agree...total dick move in this article.

cracker69
01-30-2005, 01:50 AM
this is from one of johns good friends.

His dad had won an entry to the tourney online. He took john with him for some company and staked him 500 for a super. John put up 500 as well. Entered a $1,000 single table super and won it. You know the rest. The deal was his dad will get 1/2 the winnings. Who knows if he'll hold him to it.

cracker69

elanto
01-30-2005, 11:36 AM
i agree phil is a total assh0le.

-anto

krazyace5
01-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Sounds like John got a shitty deal, his dad stakes him 50% for a super but he has to give up 50% of the main event?

deacsoft
01-30-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree phil is a total assh0le.

-anto

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. We'll all take your word for it. Since you know him. And since he's been rude to you.

Kevmath
01-30-2005, 12:49 PM
It's interesting the year is 30 days old, and somehow this is in the top 45. I especially liked this quote from good old Phil:

Hellmuth said it's great to have another winner from Madison. As he followed the tournament, "I started to think, Wow, Madison could be like one of the poker capitals of the world,'" he said.

Yep, two people from the same city winning a major event make a city a poker capital.

Kevin...

Kevmath
01-30-2005, 12:53 PM
From this site (http://tinyurl.com/6a489) comes this gem: "This is a big deal in the poker world," Hellmuth said. "It sort of reminds me of a story a while back about a kid named Phil Hellmuth."

Phil Hellmuth, Mr. Humility

Kevin...

Russ McGinley
01-30-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting the year is 30 days old, and somehow this is in the top 45.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah its been a busy year. Those other 44 events that have happened this year were sure memorable.

Phoenix1010
01-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Madison is the poker capital of the universe. That is all.

Michael C.
01-30-2005, 10:50 PM
The reason Hell Mouth makes these kinds of comments is to get people to talk about him. Ignore him and he goes away, as it's not like he's been on many TV final tables this decade. I mean here's a guy who agrees to split with Annie Duke in the freeroll, and still has to put on the sore loser act to get the TV cameras to show his schtick. And he gets someone else to play for him online. What a tool...

eastbay
01-30-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean here's a guy who agrees to split with Annie Duke in the freeroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidence?

eastbay

Michael C.
01-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Daniel N posted that they made an agreement in his blog, and that Hellmouth said to him "nothing personal, but we can't wait for you to bust out." I find Daniel very credible, and don't think he'd make that up.

ttleistdci
01-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Personally, I'm shocked when Phil can complete a sentence without plugging Oakley, his book, or UltimateBet.com. Even in his book, he constantly references UB.com.

The13atman
01-31-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And he gets someone else to play for him online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

Michael C.
01-31-2005, 07:52 AM
He was supposedly playing on Ultimate Bet the same time he was making a public appearance. When this got out he admitted that his brother had been playing under his name. Ultimate bet claimed they warned him and he promised he wouldn't do it again.

MCS
01-31-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he still characterizes Stolzmann's World Poker Open as one of the top 45 poker events of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else think that maybe he said, "four to five" and the reporter misheard?

That would make a lot more sense. 45 would be an odd number for him to use here (I mean odd in the sense of unusual, though I guess it works if you think of odd as the opposite of even too.) Also, it would make sense that he thinks of the WPO as one of the top few events of the year, but not as significant as the WSOP.

So I actually think Phil got misquoted here, which is too bad, because the misquote is way funnier.

Fairless
01-31-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm no Phil lover but 45 just doesn't sound coherent. Wait we are talking about Hellmuth.

DJMaytag
01-31-2005, 09:15 PM
I first heard about this thru the guy's roommate on a Madison based club scene site. Apparantly he neglected to tell him roomie where he was going... then he gets a call, "Oh hey, I'll be back soon, I just won 1.4 mil..."

I guess that wasn't his only mistake of the weekend...
http://www.pokerpages.com/blog/index.php?itemid=119

Kevmath
01-31-2005, 11:12 PM
I think his mistake was tipping at all, since they already took out over 45K from his winnings. I'm surprised to see this hasn't been the talk of 2+2 today, as it's been all over RGP, with posts by Stolzmann himself.

Kevin...

NLfool
02-01-2005, 02:30 AM
seriously they took almost 400k from the prize pool. Yes the first day is probably the most hectic and takes lots of man power but it would seem day 2 takes appreciably less and day 3 is low maintence.

Where's a expert on this subject Paul P. with his thoughts

worm33
02-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Have played with them at canterbury a couple times, The kid was playing 30-60 so I dont think its a total rags to riches story, like he was some 4-8 player.....Both good players from what I rememember, I know his dad plays 100-200 on pokerstars, he said anyway.

plaid
02-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Hey Michael,

Do you really think they split? Here's the quote from Danial:

[ QUOTE ]

“Fair enough, Phil, but why is that?”

“Well, because as soon as you get knocked out, we can make a deal.”

Phil knows my policy on dealmaking, and even in an event in which it is $2 million for first and nothing for second, I wasn’t about to compromise my position on dealmaking. I genuinely believe we need to eliminate deals from tournament poker, and more importantly, from televised events.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://fullcontactpoker.com/daniel-negreanu-cardplayer-poker-articles/print/world-series-of-poker-shootout.php

I guess it's quite possible that Phil & Annie split, but I'm not convinced judging from Phil's reaction to losing.

Cheers,
Frank