PDA

View Full Version : River Question: I used to have 3 Aces...

thirddan
01-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Villain = 28/3/0.8(aggression)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Comments?

Entity
01-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Given the turn play, I think it's likely that I call the river. He's definitely not passive (close to neutral with that aggression), and I think you'll chop here ~30% of the time.

Rob

thirddan
01-29-2005, 11:31 PM
is there any merit to checking behind on the turn and then calling a river bet?

and i consider anything below 1 for aggression to be pretty passive...not sure what the consensus is for this though...

Entity
01-30-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is there any merit to checking behind on the turn and then calling a river bet?

and i consider anything below 1 for aggression to be pretty passive...not sure what the consensus is for this though...

[/ QUOTE ]
.8 isn't aggressive, but it certainly isn't passive. I'm accustomed to seeing .23 or .3 or .5 for passive, and this guy bets a lot more than those guys. That said, folding this river wouldn't be bad, but I don't think calling would be bad either.

Anyway, about the turn play. On the turn you have to bet, even though you'll have outs to call a checkraise. Why? Hand protection. The majority of the time he checks to you on the turn, he has no club. Nothing. If you check, he'll catch up with you 19.56% of the time, so by checking here, you give up 19.56% of a 4.5BB pot, losing .88BB in the deal. Now of course when he checkraises you, you have to call, so you lose some money in that deal, but when you'll earn some when you fill up.

Anyway, I prefer betting the turn here, but with the pot being small, it actually is close between betting and checking. I mainly bet because a passive player doesn't usually check intending to checkraise a flush on a 4-flush board HU, but often checks intending to call.

Rob

thirddan
01-30-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn you have to bet, even though you'll have outs to call a checkraise. Why? Hand protection. The majority of the time he checks to you on the turn, he has no club.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i figured, when he checks my hand is good and if not i have outs...i thought the turn bet was pretty standard...