PDA

View Full Version : Set, check-raised when a third heart hits the turn

uw_madtown
01-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

This seems like the kind of thing that was standard at .5/1 and 1/2, but I feel like it might be a huge leak to be calling down, especially in smaller pots like this one. Should I be releasing this hand on to the turn check-raise, or is folding a better option?

I didn't post a read, mostly because I'd like to hear general responses, or read-dependent responses, since I'm more curious about how you reactino to turn-checkraises where they're representing a very obvious hand.

cab4656
01-29-2005, 09:36 PM
In this situation I'd definitely call down. I'm sure you know that, because you have outs on the turn and on the river you can't fold for one more.

I've found that even at 3/6, people will try to push you off of hands with stuff like a lone big heart or some other sort of semi bluff (or even a pure bluff, but I don't see that too often). ALso, sometimes people will be putting you to the test with a decent pocket pair like 77 or 88 here. This information might be obvious (yes, of course he could have a lot of hands) but I'm just trying to share that I do see people make plays like this and so calling down against unknown players is probably profitable.

If I have something weaker like just top pair, I might give it up if I have a read that he is very passive postflop. But it would take a pretty solid read with a significant amount of hands on that player.

uw_madtown
01-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, two pair or top pair good kicker is more what I was talking about, this hand just happened to occur and remind me that it was a topic I wanted to seek help on. With a set, obviously you call the turn, with outs. The river, probably still will win more than enough to justify a call.

deadmunny
01-29-2005, 09:47 PM
My non-expert opinion is that I (rightly or wrongly) would have played it exactly the same.

My thinking is MP2 has Kx or maybe K9

SinCityGuy
01-29-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, two pair or top pair good kicker is more what I was talking about,

[/ QUOTE ]

In those cases, you can usually fold against typical players unless you hold the ace or king of flush, or unless the pot is sufficiently large enough to justify calling two more big bets. Of course, with two pair, you have four outs to fill up.