PDA

View Full Version : Tourney Questions

Stu Pidasso
01-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Final table, about 5 left. Finishing first is my goal.

UTG raises all in
I have more than 3 times his chips and I'm the chip leader.
I have 88. Fold? Same situation and I have AQo

Thanks

Stu

MLG
01-29-2005, 09:15 PM
need more info. relative stack sizes to the blinds, as well as your position are important in analyzing the situation, not to mention the stack sizes of everybody else.

Iconoclastic
01-29-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
need more info. relative stack sizes to the blinds, as well as your position are important in analyzing the situation, not to mention the stack sizes of everybody else.

[/ QUOTE ]

And reads. And relative skill levels...

Stu Pidasso
01-30-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was UTG+1, I had about T60000, UTG had about T20000. There were 4 more players left to act. Blinds were T5000-T10000. I folded 88 because I thought a player behind us (about T15000) would go all in.

Next round came AQ I had T45000 against his T35000. He goes all in again.

Stu

Go Blue
01-30-2005, 05:44 AM
I would call in both situations for 3 reasons: First, is that you are ONLY committing less than 1/3 of your stack with a very good hand to knock someone out. Second, is that UTG probably does not have that great of a hand. He is going all in for only 2xBB, and this is obviously a small amount. Sounds to me like this is a tournament where the blinds were going up way too fast. In any event, for him, it's either all in right there or be in for half is stack on the BB next hand. He would push with any semi-decent hand there. Third, concerns the short-stack with T15,000. He will probably not call you unless he has a great hand here. This is because as a short stack, it makes sense for him to have someone knocked out so that he moves up in the money. So you are unlikely to see a call here. And if he does call, that's not all that bad, becuase you have a chance to eliminate 3 people here and if the short stack wins, you can still win the side pot. So...I call in both situations, unless possibly someone at the table is extremely loose and agressive, in which case I would consider re-raising.

JaBlue
01-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Call both.

SoBeDude
01-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi Stu,

haven't seen you on Paradise in a long, long time.

Anyway, in the first hand, with only 2x the blinds, he's going to push with a very wide range of hands out of desperation.

IMO, The only play there on a 5-handed table with 88 is to reraise all-in. you want to isolate this short guy. Unless you just get unlucky and run in to a monster behind you, everyone is going to get out of your way.

You're risking relatively little of your stack with a great hand in a 5-handed game.

Calling here is a serious mistake. you want to get heads up against Mr Desperate.

The second hand is an auto-reraise as well. AQ plays well against everything but AA-QQ. And he just raised 2 hands in a row, and you only have a little more than twice the big blind.

-Scott