PDA

View Full Version : $5 SNG at Party.

David04
01-29-2005, 08:50 PM
This was the first hand I had seen the whole tournament, besides JKo twice early(not playable, correct?) and AQo once in Level One(I folded, I was playing this following the "How to Beat the Party $10+1 FAQ", and it advises folding everything but AK and pairs in level one) anyways, here's the hand. Should I have pushed since I only had 6xBB?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t960)
CO (t625)
Button (t1130)
SB (t1435)
Hero (t655)
UTG (t2145)
MP1 (t1050)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t300

Just trying to pick up the blinds here, now I realize that I made a huge mistake.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t1760)
Button (t2805)
SB (t835)
Hero (t505)
UTG (t2095)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t275</font>, SB calls [t785] t100, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t375

Hand three:At this point I need to steal some blinds to survive, this was the very next hand...should I have been more patient after my first failed steal attempt? Or did I need to find a hand and push ASAP?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1760)
MP (t2805)
Button (t1110)
Hero (t230)
BB (t2095)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls [t230] t50, BB calls t130.

Flop: (t280) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t280) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t280) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t280

RobGW
01-29-2005, 09:18 PM
The "How to Beat the Party $10+1 FAQ" is a rough guide. You don't have to take it literally unless you are new and are not good post flop. In other words, dont play too tight. It looks to me that you are playing too tight and too passively. For instance:

Hand 1: this is an easy push. Blinds are $100, you only have $655, nobody has shown any strength, SB just completes, push for god sakes. You need to make something happen.

Hand 2: Push again. Are you kidding? you put in half your stack and folded to a raise? You absolutely cannot do that. If everyone folds and the SB completes then push here. Again, the blinds are too high for your short stack and you need to make something happen.

Hand 3: Push again. You are desperatly short stacked. Dont just call, push.

I would say that you are way too tight and passive imo. You need to take chances when you are short stacked. Take those chances while you still have fold equity. Once you get to below 10x the BB you should be pushing any good hand. Once you get to 5x the BB just push with any 2.
Now think about why you are in these spots to begin with. Playing too tight against weak ass players is a leak. Take advantage of their tendencies. learn to adjust to thier style. Work on becoming a better poker player. Don't just follow some guide that says play only AQ or better. I'm not saying you should imitate Gus Hanson but if you find yourself shortstacked more often than not then you need to reevaluate your game. Break out of your weak tight shell.

David04
01-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Hand 3 was screwed up in the converter, I pushed preflop.

Also, I usually play a lot looser than the guide advises. AQ is a hand I will play most of the time,and I often play KJ as well. I was just playing a few SNG's following the guide, seeing how it went. I'm not tight(at least not overly tight) and I'm definitely not passive. These 3 hands were some of the worst decisions I've made(excluding hand 3) in a while.