PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm beat but...

Shang Chou
01-29-2005, 03:57 PM
My first time playing Party 15/30 today and was very surprised at the level of play going on. I would not have been shocked if I had been shown QJ for the nuts but was pretty surprised at the limp from EP with 44. I'm looking for advice on how I coulda saved some bets? Calling a cap on the turn with "only" top two seems to be a bit reckless and wild assuming the other player is not a complete maniac.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Shang Chou
01-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I think the river got cut off but I ended up checking and then calling UTGs bet.

In hindsight, I woulda bet out when the A hit and then called the raise from UTG and the check called the river. Woulda saved a bet right?

slavic
01-29-2005, 04:16 PM
other than not raising preflop I think you did OK. If you are telling me the turn capper is a rock I still don't see how you save more than 1 bet here. You cost yourself more than that by not raising preflop.

BTW welcom to the board.

PS don't tell us the results in your post.

bicyclekick
01-29-2005, 04:34 PM
If you're not raising AKo out of the bb in this hand you shouldn't be playing 15/30. I'm not trying to sound harsh, it's just a simple concept that should be grasped before playing this game IMO.

elindauer
01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're not raising AKo out of the bb in this hand you shouldn't be playing 15/30. I'm not trying to sound harsh, it's just a simple concept that should be grasped before playing this game IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shang, this is dead on. Don't jump up yet.

Good luck.
Eric

drbk2
01-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey what's up man,

Preflop: In a 4 handed pot, I think you should definitely raise out of the blind with AKo and take the lead in the hand.

Flop: Really only one play here and you did it.

Turn: Wow what a card huh? I think check-3 betting is a little bit too aggressive with this board. So I would probably do this:

1. Bet the turn. If UTG raises and MP2 3 bets, I would have to muck. I think this is where people might disagree with me, but at that point I have to think I have only four outs and the pot is not laying you enough odds to justify a call.

2. Bet the turn and then call a raise. This still saves you a bet.

River: a nothing card. Check call.

elindauer
01-29-2005, 05:10 PM
This discussion is all screwed up, as the poster has tainted the responses with his question of how to save some bets and giving the villain's hand. You should not try to save bets here.

Raise preflop. Bet the turn, if it's raised, 3-bet. You beat AT, KT, and about a million pair+gutshot semibluffing hands that would call on a KT flop (AQ, AJ, KQ, JT). If it's two cold back to you, maybe you don't cap. Maybe. Folding is right out after your preflop "slowplay".

You should have lost more.

Good luck.
Eric

Chris Daddy Cool
01-29-2005, 06:26 PM
raise prflop and don't fold postflop.

astroglide
01-29-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pretty surprised at the limp from EP with 44

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding? i would rather limp utg with pocket fours than check AK with only 2 limpers in the big blind.

Shang Chou
01-30-2005, 03:31 AM
Cool, thanks for the responses so far. Yea, I am not very confident of my play of big aces out of position and have been playing them quite passively. I probably was only willing to raise out of the blinds with AA, KK or QQ. I guess I am being results oriented in that I am telling myself "at least I did not lose that much" and that is what tends to happen when you are a 3/6 player playing 15/30 for the first time. Haha.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-30-2005, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, thanks for the responses so far. Yea, I am not very confident of my play of big aces out of position and have been playing them quite passively. I probably was only willing to raise out of the blinds with AA, KK or QQ. I guess I am being results oriented in that I am telling myself "at least I did not lose that much" and that is what tends to happen when you are a 3/6 player playing 15/30 for the first time. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?

Defense with J9o (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1635753&amp;page=0&amp;view=e xpanded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1)

and the rationale:
cuz J9o is such an awesome hand (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1636036&amp;page=0&amp;view=e xpanded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1)