PDA

View Full Version : Phil Gordon is

sfwusc
01-29-2005, 01:04 AM
A crappy Poker Pro! The comment in his show are worse than Tilt.

SWUSC

Stew
01-29-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

SWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are so astute, what exactly is Phil Gordon's professional Poker record, not his commentating record, but his pro record. What tourney's has he won, what final tables, etc? Go ahead do a search douchebag.

sfwusc
01-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Dang I guess you are a Phil fan!

His has won some events, but on the show---he misses so much.

Player 1 had KJ
Player 2 had 99

board was 9 T Q

Phil says player 2 had the second best possible hand!

I say, "what?"

What about QQ, TT, J8?

Unreal. His record or not----that comment was awful.

I think that was worse than the 8 and 9 full from tilt.

SWUSC

lastchance
01-29-2005, 02:00 AM
I think he's just fed up with the crap play on that show. No one here folds 99 on that flop, at least I hope not.

Paul Phillips
01-29-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I say, "what?"

What about QQ, TT, J8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the ever-popular strategy of taking a single comment from someone, misinterpreting it, claiming it's obviously wrong and then trumpeting your superiority. It's like it's the twoplustwo mission statement.

In your example, a straight is the best possible hand and a set is the second best possible hand. Thus, a set of 9s is the second best possible hand. Being unwilling to see this is like hearing someone say "I call" and answering "You call who? Where is your phone? Boy, are you stupid!"

skoal2k4
01-29-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Being unwilling to see this is like hearing someone say "I call" and answering "You call who? Where is your phone? Boy, are you stupid!"

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stew
01-29-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dang I guess you are a Phil fan!

His has won some events, but on the show---he misses so much.

Player 1 had KJ
Player 2 had 99

board was 9 T Q

I say, "what?"

What about QQ, TT, J8?

I think that was worse than the 8 and 9 full from tilt.

SWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

A fan, sort of. I mean honestly, what's not to like about Phil Gordon. I mean he's certainly not my most favorite player or a guy I want to see at every WPT final table, but the guy is likeable. My point was that commentating has little or nothing to do with his playing skills and those are two distinct separate things. I didn't see the episode you are referring to as I no longer watch Celebrity Poker Showdown, so I can't comment on it. But, whether he said soemthing erroneous or it got taken out of context, that has little to do with his playing skills.

cowboyzfan
01-29-2005, 12:51 PM
He wrote a pretty good book too. Sure it is for begginers but there are a lot of begginers out there to buy books.

Slacker13
01-29-2005, 01:06 PM
The only reason I even watch the show is because of Phil, i think his commentary makes the show.

[ QUOTE ]

A crappy Poker Pro!

[/ QUOTE ]
Phil would eat you alive.

Oski
01-29-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

SWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

What's even worse is that he cheats at golf!

Phil G. Cheats at Golf (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=749406&Forum=, ,,All_Forums,,,&Words=&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Main= 749406&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=9910&dateran ge=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=6&oldertype=m& bodyprev=#Post749406)

sfwusc
01-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I am not a Pro. I havent played him before so who knows. Maybe I would get good cards.

I dislike him. I dont think he is as good as everyone thinks. That said, he has some impressive tournment wins and finishes.

Everyone hates on Phil Hellmuth, but I like him a lot better than Gordon.

One question I have---if he is so good as a pro while not play poker instead of butchering the show.

SWUSC

Beavis68
01-29-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I say, "what?"

What about QQ, TT, J8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the ever-popular strategy of taking a single comment from someone, misinterpreting it, claiming it's obviously wrong and then trumpeting your superiority. It's like it's the twoplustwo mission statement.

In your example, a straight is the best possible hand and a set is the second best possible hand. Thus, a set of 9s is the second best possible hand. Being unwilling to see this is like hearing someone say "I call" and answering "You call who? Where is your phone? Boy, are you stupid!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post........

Actually this is the first thing that came into my mind - shallow brains are too literal.

Phil G. is a class act (of course this is relative to other poker players), I have never met him personally, but he used to play on UB a lot, and even hit some $50 SnGs.

I also played him on FTP and he was very nice, chatty, funny and didnt mind a little ribbing. (A-2 = ALL-IN)

He was always great and chatty even when heads-up.

Slacker13
01-29-2005, 01:57 PM
How old are you?

So many of you numbnuts come here posting I hate him or I hate her, it's [censored] immature. I really don't understand. You sit there all day pondering your next post and this is what you come up with? How about next time you start a thread on the call itself and not "I hate Phil Gordon".

Now go, your mothers calling.

Tevyee
01-29-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not a Pro. I havent played him before so who knows. Maybe I would get good cards.

I dislike him. I dont think he is as good as everyone thinks. That said, he has some impressive tournment wins and finishes.

Everyone hates on Phil Hellmuth, but I like him a lot better than Gordon.

One question I have---if he is so good as a pro while not play poker instead of butchering the show.

SWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]
You are an absolute moron! Phil Gordon has earned over $1,200,000 in poker winnings including a 4th place finish at the 2001 World Series of Poker. His success at poker speaks for himself.

sfwusc
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
I am sorry to post my thoughts on his show in this forum.

Let the thread just die.

SWUSC

AceHigh
01-29-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think it's more of an internet thing.

TStoneMBD
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
*BUMP*

joeboe2001
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Before the thread dies, I would like to point out that, in addition to being a pretty good poker player, Phil has done quite a bit in recent years to raise money for charity. Check out tiltboys.com for tales of some of his exploits and a link to his "Greatest Sports Adventure" site. He may or may not misspeak once in a while on Celebrity Poker, but, all in all, he seems to do more good than harm.

Sarge85
01-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Actually I find his commentary quite useful. I'm a newbie tournament player, so i really like some of the gems he drops.

His comments seem to have some thought and you can tell he's been "in the trenches"

I cut him some slack because, as much as he'd like to, he really can't trash on the Celebs that come and play, no matter how bad they are. They would never get Celebs to come on if they knew they were going to be portrayed as poker nit wits.

Now Dave Foley good god, he's awful.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

alittle
01-31-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think it's more of an internet thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with
diarrhea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring,
entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of
excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford, 1992

Just substitute your choice of internets for "Usenet" above.

djack
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Can't we just talk about how Juha Helppi own3d him?

Vi_o
01-31-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How old are you?

So many of you numbnuts come here posting I hate him or I hate her, it's [censored] immature. I really don't understand. You sit there all day pondering your next post and this is what you come up with? How about next time you start a thread on the call itself and not "I hate Phil Gordon".

Now go, your mothers calling

[/ QUOTE ]

What about all the numbnuts that join this forum to insult someone on the defence of Greg Raymer? Where are you to tell those people off?

If you want to be rude to someone for hating someone for a stupid reason then be rude, but show up, reply and be rude to one of the many twoplustwo Raymer drones that just got to post on the deffence of Greg Raymer, because those people are truley the people that make this forum the shits

alittle
01-31-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be rude to someone for hating someone for a stupid reason then be rude, but show up, reply and be rude to one of the many twoplustwo Raymer drones that just got to post on the deffence of Greg Raymer, because those people are truley the people that make this forum the shits

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of the shits - see my elephants with diarrhea post earlier in this thread. Thanks for proving it so quickly.

TransientR
01-31-2005, 11:00 PM
This thread, like many started with "bad intentions," is useless.

I would bet on Phil Gordon against usfwusc heads up any day of the week.

Frank

toots
01-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Phil Gordon's a babe.

Not as much as Howard Lederer, but he'll do.

elanto
02-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Phil didnt have a chance against juha, juha always had the winning hand it was rediculous. I think that if they played that match 20 times phil would win 15

-anto

Go Blue
02-01-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't we just talk about how Juha Helppi own3d him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what the hell, I remember that one. Completely absurd. Phil could not a decent hand. Anyone's mother could have beaten Phil with the cards that Helppi was being dealt. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

AngryCola
02-01-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
t's like it's the twoplustwo mission statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it?
Man, I had no idea that wasn't the official line.