PDA

View Full Version : Strange tilt

1800GAMBLER
01-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey guys, i need some help and hopefully some people who's had this same tilt.

Firstly, in the past i've never ever tilted, steamed, got annoyed at any bad beats or -300bb losing streaks, being very math inclinded i can just shrug it off.

However this one has hit me different. I'm going to call it the '15/30 Party Poker Tilt' or maybe the 'multitabling tilt'. This kind of tilt is me, knownly, bringing my B- C+ game to the table. The problem is i'm happy doing it. I'll have a somewhat close turn or river decision in which i'm fairly confident the correct play is to fold, yet because i know it's not a huge mistake if i call, so i'll happily call, lose, but remain content in the fact that these plays wont make me a loser in the game but a small winner and i got some enjoyment in calling. A bad part throughout this i've had favourable variance.

So i need a way to snap out of it. I want to go back to being obsessive with my poker learning and playing. I want to go back to beating the games for the max. I want to go back to playing higher stakes.

I don't know what the solution to the tilt is. I'm not motivated enough to just sit down at my session and think 'Time to play as well as i can' i just get lazy or dazed or switch on msn etc and then play my C game. Maybe i need to enjoy winning or the winnings more.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Thanks.

toss
01-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Get rid of all that LAGiness at a 2+2 table?

Joe826
01-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Hey. I actually had a rather nasty bout with this a few months back. Making these little bad calls was destroying my winrate. I think variance makes this subtle form of tilt a real killer since a bad call here or there doesn't effect your nightly results enough to really notice. When it comes down to it though, consistently making these bad calls really hurt the BB / 100 hands number. I'm sure you know all this, but that's what put it in perspective for me and started making me play better. Actually the thing that helped me the most was playing higher limits. I'm not exactly sure what you can do..

1800GAMBLER
01-29-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get rid of all that LAGiness at a 2+2 table?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really lagginess. I don't sit down feeling i want to play aggressive or ruthless. It's just these close plays.

Someone PMed me suggesting to do a journal so that i care about my results, that could be a good idea. A 1 month goal with something like:

1. Learn o8 to a 20/40 level.
2. Become a very confident winner in $1k SnGs and 30/60 50/100.
3. Earn $30k.
4. Lose the tilt and feel 'ready' for 100/200.

Sounds like a lot but if i do this i'll do it obsessively which should cure the tilt since i'll want to play to the best of my ability. Feb is a perfect time for this, i have 5 days for EPT in france though which will mean less playing time. No idea if i'll post it, or complete it, or stick to it.

greg nice
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
jay, ironically enough, i think this is exactly what ive been doing at 100nl. i know that these people are clowns, and say to myself that perhaps i can sacrifice this close call since the players are so bad. in my case, variance has NOT been on my side, and im merely breakeven after a huge number of hands.

just recently ive gotten back on track, by playing 1 table of higher stakes on a 100bb stack instead of party. unfortunately this isnt an option at limit. but i will suggest playing larger than normal where the money means a little more so you can tighten up postflop.

bugstud
01-29-2005, 01:47 AM
you may want to go play a different site that you ned to play tour A game to adjust to, say stars as an example.

maybe you want to PM GoT, James282 or other noted 2'2ers in these games that massive multitable or post this in psych for their thoughts

snowbank
01-29-2005, 03:00 AM
I'm not at your stakes, but have had similar experiences playing NL. I usually take days off and/or switch games. The last 2 weeks or so I've been playing a lot of heads up sit and go games and done very well. I had been doing terrible playing my usual ring games. I find this helps because you're not in the same routine.

Justin A
01-29-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, i need some help and hopefully some people who's had this same tilt.

Firstly, in the past i've never ever tilted, steamed, got annoyed at any bad beats or -300bb losing streaks, being very math inclinded i can just shrug it off.

However this one has hit me different. I'm going to call it the '15/30 Party Poker Tilt' or maybe the 'multitabling tilt'. This kind of tilt is me, knownly, bringing my B- C+ game to the table. The problem is i'm happy doing it. I'll have a somewhat close turn or river decision in which i'm fairly confident the correct play is to fold, yet because i know it's not a huge mistake if i call, so i'll happily call, lose, but remain content in the fact that these plays wont make me a loser in the game but a small winner and i got some enjoyment in calling. A bad part throughout this i've had favourable variance.

So i need a way to snap out of it. I want to go back to being obsessive with my poker learning and playing. I want to go back to beating the games for the max. I want to go back to playing higher stakes.

I don't know what the solution to the tilt is. I'm not motivated enough to just sit down at my session and think 'Time to play as well as i can' i just get lazy or dazed or switch on msn etc and then play my C game. Maybe i need to enjoy winning or the winnings more.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play higher stakes?

cockandbull
01-29-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone PMed me suggesting to do a journal so that i care about my results, that could be a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good idea.

theBruiser500
01-29-2005, 03:27 AM
justin a, why did you just quote his entire post?

Justin A
01-29-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
justin a, why did you just quote his entire post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when I reply to posts I usually just click the quote button instead of reply. Dumb really, it's very redundant and unnecessary. Thanks for pointing that out.

dogmeat
01-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't know exactly what you are saying about bringing your "B" or "C" game to the table, but with regard to calling on the end where you "know this won't make me a loser in the game, but a small winner" this what you want to do, no? If the net effect is to make you a small winner on this play, you do it.

Maybe I don't understand your post. If your whole point was you are willing to play poorly overall compared to what you are really able to play, then the only advice is to get serious about your game again.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif